Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Carville Hits Back At "Woke" Politics:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post

General election maybe (although how Trump managed to get more minority support makes that amusing, among numerous other anomalies I won't get into as per wishes of the thread starter). But that doesn't explain the House.
    Given that they lost seats to the narrowest margin in a long time, when they expected to gain...

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Because the last election was a referendum on Trump, not policies.
    General election maybe (although how Trump managed to get more minority support makes that amusing, among numerous other anomalies I won't get into as per wishes of the thread starter). But that doesn't explain the House.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied

Maybe Carville can explain why wokeness didn't seem to affect the last election. Wokeness was prevalent before those elections, in fact, it was the George Floyd riots that underscored it in the MSM and social media. Yet the Dems still managed to own it all regardless.
    Because the last election was a referendum on Trump, not policies.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, guys, this is NOT a thread on the past election - it's about Carville's observations on WOKENESS and how that may affect the NEXT election.
    Maybe Carville can explain why wokeness didn't seem to affect the last election. Wokeness was prevalent before those elections, in fact, it was the George Floyd riots that underscored it in the MSM and social media. Yet the Dems still managed to own it all regardless.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    OK, guys, this is NOT a thread on the past election - it's about Carville's observations on WOKENESS and how that may affect the NEXT election.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    You explained your joke.

That is absurd rogue. Not one challenge taken to the courts found legs to stand on. The Republican election officials in Georgia set up web sites filled with objective evidence and video debunking the crazy lies about his state. The truth isn't what is at issue here. Irractional paranoia is what is driving this, and truth and objective evidence simply are not given a chance by those willing to believe this in spite of the evidence. Once people 'know' something is true in spite of the evidence, there is no longer any capacity for reason to prevail

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

A carvel is a small Spanish ship from the age of sail.

It's only best for those perpetuating the lie that the election wasn't stolen. Truth doesn't fear debate: lies do.
    When an idea is made up from whole cloth, when those that hold to it do so without evidence or any objective reason to do so, the issue isn't truth to start with.

No judge in this country found sufficient evidence to support the allegations. Republican election administrators committed to a free and fair election were clear that these accusations had no substance and went to great lengths to present objective evidence that showed rxactly why.

This isn't a debate about truth. Its a delusion based on paranoia fueled by one person.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

You explained your joke.

It's only best for those perpetuating the lie that the election wasn't stolen. Truth doesn't fear debate: lies do.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied

This is where Ox tells you that you're too dumb to know how to read or analyze data, and that you're just gullible and get all your talking points from OMB.

And then from there it probably evolves into a debate, where Ox can't help but express his obsessed hatred for OMB and "his lies," and then CP eventually bans him from the thread.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied

This is where Ox tells you that you're too dumb to know how to read or analyze data, and that you're just gullible and get all your talking points from OMB.

And then from there it probably evolves into a debate, where Ox can't help but express his obsessed hatred for OMB and "his lies," and then CP eventually bans him from the thread.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I'm not sure what the point is upside a Carvel ice cream cake, but the 'Big Lie' that the election was rigged has a primary source, and it is not the facts or the data. And it is a very, very destructive lie for the country. So it would be best for all if it could be put to rest.

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied

That election was as rigged as carvel
    I'm not sure what the point is upside a Carvel ice cream cake, but the 'Big Lie' that the election was rigged has a primary source, and it is not the facts or the data. And it is a very, very destructive lie for the country. So it would be best for all if it could be put to rest.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

That election was as rigged as a carvel.

I'm probably the only one who gets that but in a thread about Carville it was too good to pass up!
    You weren't and you get a

2494935.gif

for the effort

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I always enjoyed James Carville, even when I didn't agree with him.

Carville Hits Back At "Woke" Politics:

CNN host Chris Cuomo grills James Carville about his take on "woke... faculty-lounge politics," digging down to Carville's basic analysis that the Democratic Party's "urban strategists" are making a mistake when they "start out by attacking all White people."

"It's just faculty lounge jargon," he repeated. "It gives the aura of cosmopolitan smugness."

"I don't think it can get any dumber than that," Carville said. "I would say this, that somewhere around 68 percent, or probably 69 percent of the people that are going to vote in the next election is going to be White. So, I think it's utterly stupid, to attack 70 percent of the country, when you're trying to get a majority."
    CHRIS CUOMO, CNN: So James, it'll be a good test of your political currency, to see how you deal with the beating, coming your way, for messing with wokeness.

JAMES CARVILLE, DEMOCRATIC STRATEGIST, CO-HOST, "POLITICS WAR ROOM" PODCAST: Well, thank you for the kind words, Chris. Unfortunately, the only thing I'm going to get cancelled by is the actuarial tables.

I think there's an issue in our messaging. And I think that I don't want to help rewrite dictionaries. I want to help rewrite laws.

And the way that we help President Biden do that is by talking about things that are relevant to people in a way that they can understand it, in a clear, distinct and certain voice. And I believe that. And I'm at a place in life where I can say it, while other people are terrified to say it.

CUOMO: Why are they terrified to say it?

CARVILLE: I don't know that they - is this brings up too much trouble. [21:30:00]

They watch people that get fired for the most trivial offenses, or retweeting a piece of academic research, or something like that. And I don't know how many hundreds of people have said "James, it's just I just can't do it. It's just not worth the grief I'm going to take."

And I sat (ph) and I've had a fortunate life in politics. And if I just don't say something about this, I'd never forgive myself.

CUOMO: Why do you think it'll hurt the Democrats if they stay the way they are?

CARVILLE: Because we're talking about something that doesn't - well it's not - didn't come in the intersection of people's lives. It's just faculty lounge jargon. And it's counterproductive.

It gives the aura of cosmopolitan smugness to the rest of the country that somehow or another we think we're smarter, and better, than other people, and we're going to lecture them, where we are, people agree with us on the issues.

They like our tax plan. They liked - they believe in - they think climate is an issue. They think that racial inequality, and inequality, as I do, is a terrible issue in American politics.

But the way that you solve that is through power. You don't solve it in a faculty lounge. You don't solve it by having arguments back and forth. You go out and you win elections. And that's what I'm trying to help my Party to do, and my President do.

CUOMO: So they'll say - so you say, "All right, so Biden got the most votes ever. But Trump got the second most ever, and that should have never happened. And the proof that you didn't get it done is the slim majority in the House and no majority in the Senate." Fair point?

CARVILLE: Well, I haven't talked to a lot of House members and senators. And they almost to a person think that "Defund the Police" and the "Open borders" talk was terribly harmful.

You don't have to do anything. Look at Starr County, look at those counties down in the Rio Grande Valley, look at Miami-Dade, to see the effect that all of this is having electorally.

We beat a world-class buffoon, I mean, I mean, world-class, historical buffoon. And we lost House seats at the time, and we came within 42,000 votes, of not winning the presidency, that we got to learn to talk to people better, and clearer, and more distinctly, about things that are relevant to their lives. And that's what I'm trying to do.

And I don't - like I say, this whole thing is, is about language. And I think the best language is the most direct simple language of people. And that's what I think we need to engage in.

CUOMO: So, the reverb is this. "No, James, we're not going to talk the language of the ignorant and

the bigoted. It is time that you speak about people, who are diverse with respect for their diversity. And that really being woke is about being decent.

And it's not OK to be disrespectful, and to talk down to people, and just because you're scared that you're White, because you're believing some BS that somebody's selling you.

We have rules about how we want people treated, and we can enforce them now, because we're not in the shadow of just a White majority anymore. This is a diverse country."

What do you say?

CARVILLE: Well I would say this, that somewhere around 68 percent, or probably 69 percent of the people that are going to vote in the next election is going to be White. So, I think it's utterly stupid, to attack 70 percent of the country, when you're trying to get a majority.

And by the way, in order to win a House majority, we have to probably - went back to redistricting, and we get clobbered, because we didn't pick up any state legislative seats.

I didn't - in just normal sorting we probably got to win by six points or seven points. So our urban strategists say, "Let's start out by attacking all White people," I don't think it can get any dumber than that. I really don't...

CUOMO: Listen, you are here because of what you know, and what you've proven campaign after campaign. And you better be smarter than me, James. I mean, that's like, that's about--

CARVILLE: Oh!

CUOMO: --as low a bar as we can get on this show. If you're not smarter than me, literally, you should never be on anywhere again.

CARVILLE: Right.

CUOMO: But here's the point. They'll say this.

CARVILLE: OK.

CUOMO: They'll say this.

"Yes, the numbers are changing in the country. And the Democratic Party in the future of this country is in the diversity. And the Right is playing to White fright. And that is a losing game over the long- term.

And we are betting on the long-term of diversity. And we believe in the gentility of our purpose. We're not out to hurt the Right. We're out to not be hurt anymore by the Right."

CARVILLE: OK, if you want to get - throw everything over the fence to win the election of 2042, then, go ahead.

I'm going to be 77 in October, all right?

And I know how much a difference, if these proposals of President Biden, I know that if they're enacted, most of it is enacted, I think it's going to make people's lives infinitely better. I think he needs to have a Democratic Congress for the last two years of his presidency.

I'm not here to argue with you about 2042. And I'm, by the way, the Democratic Party is a real party of diversity. You look at what we did in Georgia, one of the most beautiful elections I've ever been associated with. So, I don't - yes, they say that.

And another thing I would point to you, Chris, is this, 18 percent of the United States elects 52 senators. Let me repeat that. 18 percent of the United States elects 52 senators.

The Senate and the Constitution gives Whites, in particularly rural Whites, a larger say in the electorate than they actually represent. I don't like it. I wish we could change it. I would love to. But I don't see any chance of that happening, over the immediate horizon.
    With Carvel you always know exactly where he stands unlike so many other consultants and pundits who smile in your face while trying to figure out how best to stab you in the back.

Leave a comment:

• Teallaura
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

The idea the election was rigged is hooey. But I think Carver is right about 'woke'.
    That election was as rigged as a carvel.

I'm probably the only one who gets that but in a thread about Carville it was too good to pass up!

Leave a comment: