Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden: ‘We the People Are the Government’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Turning "politician" into a part-time, low-paying job would do wonders for this country. For one thing, it would prevent politicians from passing crippling economic policies knowing that they won't have to face the consequences. If they had to work for their paycheck and pay taxes like the rest of us, and couldn't simply vote themselves a pay raise whenever they started feeling a pinch in their wallet, then maybe they would think twice before proposing tax increases.
    Two words -- Citizen Legislators!

Let them serve their two years and go back home and live under the laws they passed!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Two words -- Citizen Legislators!

Let them serve their two years and go back home and live under the laws they passed!
      We The People could set this policy ourselves if we simply followed Walter Williams' advice to never vote for the same politician twice, what he described as "flushing the political toilet".
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

We The People could set this policy ourselves if we simply followed Walter Williams' advice to never vote for the same politician twice, what he described as "flushing the political toilet".
        But the problem is that people always seem to think that "their guy" is different the other schmucks in DC.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Turning "politician" into a part-time, low-paying job would do wonders for this country. For one thing, it would prevent politicians from passing crippling economic policies knowing that they won't have to face the consequences. If they had to work for their paycheck and pay taxes like the rest of us, and couldn't simply vote themselves a pay raise whenever they started feeling a pinch in their wallet, then maybe they would think twice before proposing tax increases.
          If you read what the founders wrote you'll see that they pretty much envisioned part-time politicians. Now we have more than our share of those who only keep a residence in the state/precinct they represent for legal reasons and as a place to stay when they return to campaign.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

But the problem is that people always seem to think that "their guy" is different the other schmucks in DC.
            True dat. Our guy isn't the problem. It's your guys who need to go.

But if you pay attention we do get a flushing every few years that gets rid of a significant portion of the Representatives at least (the Senate was deliberate set up in a manner so this can't happen).

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We should never have "legacy politicians" who are able to acquire undue power and influence simply because they've been there a long time. George Washington set the example when he quietly retired after his second term.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

We should never have "legacy politicians" who are able to acquire undue power and influence simply because they've been there a long time. George Washington set the example when he quietly retired after his second term.
                If ever there were a case for term limits....

Comment

His willingness to step down and refusing the offer of kingship were what earned him the title of the American Cincinnatus back then.

Comment