Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Joe Biden: ‘We the People Are the Government’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, when somebody who has spent his entire adult life sucking on the public teat, and never worked a real job, declares "we the people are the government", forgive me if I'm less than impressed.
    I think overall the biggest mindset difference I see between people in my country and US conservatives, is that in my country people view the government as the servant of the people and controlled by the people, you guys talk as if the government is the enemy of the people and not controllable by the people.

Granted the difference could be a result of the fact that my country is far less corrupt and far more democratic than the US, but those are things that it's up to you guys to improve and fix. Obviously you as a nation are morally responsible for how you choose to let your government function and the levels of corruption and undemocraticness you guys seem prepared to tolerate.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Probably the single most common comment I see on Reddit when Americans are discussing politics is:
    "GOP = Gaslight, obstruct, project"

Not surprising to see you getting things backward.
    You had leftist activists on social media claiming Ma Khia Bryan was killed because of racism and white supremacy. Is it any wonder leftists on reddit, inventing their realities about events, would invent their own reality about the GOP? Certainly no surprise to me.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Originally posted by seanD View Post
    The democrat party = the party of projection.
    Probably the single most common comment I see on Reddit when Americans are discussing politics is:
    "GOP = Gaslight, obstruct, project"

Not surprising to see you getting things backward.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Up to last month, Biden signed more executive orders than either Obama or Trump at the same point in their presidencies. IOW, Biden more closely resembles an autocrat.
    The democrat party = the party of projection.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    In context, within his speech, Biden criticized the autocracy of the Trump administration.
    Up to last month, Biden signed more executive orders than either Obama or Trump at the same point in their presidencies. IOW, Biden more closely resembles an autocrat.

Leave a comment:

• ke7ejx
    replied

Does this mean you're 'outraged'?
    Hardly.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

And after a year of pandemic totalitarianism by his party, that's rich. Almost as rich as racist dixiecrat like him lecturing us about how racist our country is.
    Yeah, when somebody who has spent his entire adult life sucking on the public teat, and never worked a real job, declares "we the people are the government", forgive me if I'm less than impressed.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    In context, within his speech, Biden criticized the autocracy of the Trump administration.
    And after a year of pandemic totalitarianism by his party, that's rich. Almost as rich as a racist dixiecrat like him lecturing us about how racist our country is.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post

That's a hell of a Freudian Slip there... We the People means the people of the nation and not the government that is supposed to serve the people. Perhaps it's time for We the People to take a leaf from Iceland's book and find a way to fire the entire government and start again...
    Does this mean you're 'outraged'?

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    I think we should consider the context. He said it after we just watched a year of totalitarian governors (mainly on the left) and medical technocrats forcefully shutting everything down

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

This is literally manufactured outrage. If you are getting anything out of this to be outraged over, it must be a willful mis-interpretation of what was said.
    Why do you people see 'outrage' any time somebody calmly brings up a topic for discussion? There is no 'outrage' here, manufactured or otherwise. Perhaps it's something in you?

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied

This is literally manufactured outrage. If you are getting anything out of this to be outraged over, it must be a willful mis-interpretation of what was said.
    I think we should consider the context. He said it after we just watched a year of totalitarian governors (mainly on the left) and medical technocrats forcefully shutting everything down, disrupting lives to the point of literal despair, and destroying the economy. "We the people" in that context is kind of disturbing.

Leave a comment:

• Starlight
    replied
    Biden seems to be endorsing government by the people, for the people, aka democracy. This thread is making me scratch my head as to how this is supposed to be a bad thing. Is it supposed to be better if 'we the people' don't control the government? I mean, I've argued that US conservatives do appear to have a preference for dictatorship over democracy, but I didn't think they'd actually admit it.

On a slight tangent, I have had conservatives in this forum tell me that to win politicians need to focus on "jobs, jobs, jobs"... I note Biden did that.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    Joe Biden: ‘We the People Are the Government’

Once again, a liberal trips up and says out loud what he actually believes.

“It’s time we remembered that ‘We the people’ are the government. You and I,” Biden said, “not some force in a distant capital, not some powerful force that we have no control over. It’s us. It’s ‘We the people.'”

Leave a comment:

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post

That's a hell of a Freudian Slip there... We the People means the people of the nation and not the government that is supposed to serve the people. Perhaps it's time for We the People to take a leaf from Iceland's book and find a way to fire the entire government and start again...
    He means the same thing Reagan does. I don't get why you guys think he meant something else.

ETA: I just listened to it again. What I hear is him invoking the fact that every person in that room is an American citizen. That our government comes from and returns to the people. That the people in that room are not some special elite class of people, but members each one of America, just like you and I, and responsible to it.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-29-2021, 06:11 PM.

Leave a comment: