Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Example of hidden systemic racism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

No, not by definition.
    If you are giving someone favorable treatment then somewhere down the line someone got screwed. Yes, by definition.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      If you are giving someone favorable treatment then somewhere down the line someone got screwed. Yes, by definition.
      It is not unfair to white people if a company reaches out to minorities to encourage them to apply for open positions.

Comment

It is not unfair to white people if a company reaches out to minorities to encourage them to apply for open positions.
        It is unfair if they have positions in which only certain races or ethnicities are allowed to fill. And that is what Affirmative Action is all about.

As Oxford dictionary explains:

af·firm·a·tive ac·tion
        /əˈfərmədiv ˈakSHən/
        Learn to pronounce
        noun
        NORTH AMERICAN
        1. (in the context of the allocation of resources or employment) the practice or policy of favoring individuals belonging to groups known to have been discriminated against previously.

It's the codifying of the concept that two wrongs make a right

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It is unfair if they have positions in which only certain races or ethnicities are allowed to fill.
          And I've already agreed that that would be racist.

And that is what Affirmative Action is all about.
          I disagree.

As Oxford dictionary explains:

af·firm·a·tive ac·tion
          /əˈfərmədiv ˈakSHən/
          Learn to pronounce
          noun
          NORTH AMERICAN
          1. (in the context of the allocation of resources or employment) the practice or policy of favoring individuals belonging to groups known to have been discriminated against previously.

In the absence of affirmative action, racial disparities tend to be self-perpetuating. For example, a lot of hiring managers put a great deal of weight on referrals by current employees when hiring new employees. But if a company has mostly white workers, and those workers tend to associate primarily with other white people, then new hires will tend to be mostly white.

It's not unfair to whites if a company tries to counteract this tendency.

Comment

And I've already agreed that that would be racist.

I disagree.

In the absence of affirmative action, racial disparities tend to be self-perpetuating. For example, a lot of hiring managers put a great deal of weight on referrals by current employees when hiring new employees. But if a company has mostly white workers, and those workers tend to associate primarily with other white people, then new hires will tend to be mostly white.

It's not unfair to whites if a company tries to counteract this tendency.
            You are now basically admitting that we need to perpetuate reverse discrimination (i.e., "favoring individuals belonging to groups known to have been discriminated against previously.") but it's different because you can "justify it."

As I said

Comment

You are now basically admitting that we need to perpetuate reverse discrimination
              No, I'm not, but I'm not surprised you got it wrong.

I said nothing in favor of reverse discrimination.

Comment