Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Portland Mayor "Time to take our city back"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portland Mayor "Time to take our city back"

Portland's liberal mayor, Ted Wheeler, after over a year of allowing the antifa nutjobs destroy his city, has finally had enough:

Source: https://nypost.com/2021/04/24/portland-mayor-time-to-take-our-city-back-from-violent-protesters/

Portland mayor: Time to ‘take our city back’ from violent protesters

The mayor of Portland, Ore. has asked for the public’s help putting an end to the violent protests that have ravaged his city since Black Lives Matter riots first erupted last spring.

“They want to burn, they want bash, they want to intimidate, they want to assault,” Mayor Ted Wheeler said Friday, while announcing the city would extend its state of emergency through Monday.

“If BLM leaders can show the courage to stand up to this mob, then we all should,” said the mayor, singling out the “the self-described anarchist mob” responsible for “criminal intimidation and violence.”

“Together we can make a stand … and take our city back.”

Wheeler invited the public’s help in identifying the violent protesters, while saying that that police will be allowed to use all tactics at their disposal to quell the violence, including the use of kettling, in which cops surround a crowd to contain it.

“Our job is to unmask them, arrest them and prosecute them,” Wheeler said of the violent offenders. “If you have any information, please contact the police.”

Portland has suffered yet another wave of violence over the past week, according to reports.

Last Friday night, a riot erupted with fires and gunshots. A mob destroyed windows at the First Christian Church and the Oregon Historical Society, while the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall was defaced with anti-cop graffiti.

And on Monday night, rioters caused nearly $20,000 worth of damage to a local Boys and Girls Club.

© Copyright Original Source

But, but, but... he was so TOLERANT and UNDERSTANDING!!!!

This goes to show how liberals come up with such wonderful ideas (cough) with absolutely no consideration whatsoever of the unintended consequences.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Portland's liberal mayor, Ted Wheeler, after over a year of allowing the antifa nutjobs destroy his city, has finally had enough:

Source: https://nypost.com/2021/04/24/portland-mayor-time-to-take-our-city-back-from-violent-protesters/

Portland mayor: Time to ‘take our city back’ from violent protesters

The mayor of Portland, Ore. has asked for the public’s help putting an end to the violent protests that have ravaged his city since Black Lives Matter riots first erupted last spring.

“They want to burn, they want bash, they want to intimidate, they want to assault,” Mayor Ted Wheeler said Friday, while announcing the city would extend its state of emergency through Monday.

“If BLM leaders can show the courage to stand up to this mob, then we all should,” said the mayor, singling out the “the self-described anarchist mob” responsible for “criminal intimidation and violence.”

“Together we can make a stand … and take our city back.”

Wheeler invited the public’s help in identifying the violent protesters, while saying that that police will be allowed to use all tactics at their disposal to quell the violence, including the use of kettling, in which cops surround a crowd to contain it.

“Our job is to unmask them, arrest them and prosecute them,” Wheeler said of the violent offenders. “If you have any information, please contact the police.”

Portland has suffered yet another wave of violence over the past week, according to reports.

Last Friday night, a riot erupted with fires and gunshots. A mob destroyed windows at the First Christian Church and the Oregon Historical Society, while the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall was defaced with anti-cop graffiti.

And on Monday night, rioters caused nearly $20,000 worth of damage to a local Boys and Girls Club.

After all this time what caused the 180 degree turn now? Maybe there's some polls showing his chances for reelection are slim. I mean with Seattle's mayor even shooting and killing people who had the temerity to approach the autonomous zone wasn't enough. Only after protesters marched on HER mansion did she bother to start taking action.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        But, but, but... he was so TOLERANT and UNDERSTANDING!!!!

This goes to show how liberals come up with such wonderful ideas (cough) with absolutely no consideration whatsoever of the unintended consequences.
        Like I said before, they seem to live only in the present and never look ahead to what damage they are going to cause.

But in this case I think it was that AND the fact that the riots were helpful in making Trump look bad last year, and this year it is making BIDEN and the liberals look bad, so they need to stop.

Comment

Like I said before, they seem to live only in the present and never look ahead to what damage they are going to cause.
          Or as I like to express it, when in control they cannot conceive of ever being out of control, and when out of control they cannot conceive of ever being in control

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yes, a classic liberal.

But in this case I think it was that AND the fact that the riots were helpful in making Trump look bad last year, and this year it is making BIDEN and the liberals look bad, so they need to stop.
            Yup - more of the "never let a good crisis go to waste" -- allow human suffering and tragedy if it will make your opponent look bad.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

“If BLM leaders can show the courage to stand up to this mob, then we all should,” said the mayor...

Except it's the Black Lives Matter leaders who have been instigating the mob.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                “If BLM leaders can show the courage to stand up to this mob, then we all should,” said the mayor...

Except it's the Black Lives Matter leaders who have been instigating the mob.
                Typical liberal politician!

Comment

Source: https://katu.com/news/local/members-of-portlands-black-community-criticize-remarks-by-mayor-wheeler

Members of Portland's Black community criticize remarks made by Mayor Wheeler

ORTLAND, Ore. — Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler addressed the community ahead of the weekend, extending a state of emergency to prepare for the potential of criminal activity in the wake of planned marches.

"If BLM leaders have the courage to stand up to this mob then we all should," Wheeler said.
                  On Saturday, members of the Black community responded, saying groups demonstrating should not be divided.
                  "They tried to make us look like we are against each other. We might not all agree on the ways that we protest or we fight, but we know that we must fight," Kevin Wright said.

The mayor is also facing criticism for his remarks around direct action marches.

"They’re all dressed in all black. If you see this, call the police. If you can provide a license plate, if you can do so safely, that information can help later," Wheeler said on Friday.

The mayor's office shared a follow-up statement Saturday saying: "The only people who should be concerned are those who engage in criminal actions. The community is tired of self-described anarchists damaging churches, non-profits, and small businesses."

This follows vandalism at places like Starbucks in Northwest Portland earlier in the week.

Despite this, some speakers said they don't agree with the idea of citizens surveilling each other.

"I’m wearing all black, I often wear all black, and I’ll continue to wear all black. Black is a sacred color, black is often a color that is affordable in many stores, I want to note," Amber Boydston said.

Members of the group told listeners they want funding taken away from the Portland Police Bureau and put back into the community.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Members of the group told listeners they want funding taken away from the Portland Police Bureau and put back into the community.[/CITE]
                    Anyone care to wager that the majority of the "community" making that demand don't pay taxes in the first place. Not to mention that when this whole Defund the Police stuff started a few quick studies realized that the law enforcement budget is anything but some fatted cow waiting to be milked dry (my first mixed metaphor this week, I believe)

Comment

Originally posted by CD
                      "I’m wearing all black, I often wear all black, and I’ll continue to wear all black. Black is a sacred color, black is often a color that is affordable in many stores, I want to note," Amber Boydston said.
                      To her I would say, go ahead and wear black all you want. Just don't hang out with crowds of others dressed in black looting and burning and you will be just fine.

It's really not that hard, folks.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                        Source: https://katu.com/news/local/members-of-portlands-black-community-criticize-remarks-by-mayor-wheeler

Members of Portland's Black community criticize remarks made by Mayor Wheeler

ORTLAND, Ore. — Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler addressed the community ahead of the weekend, extending a state of emergency to prepare for the potential of criminal activity in the wake of planned marches.

"If BLM leaders have the courage to stand up to this mob then we all should," Wheeler said.
                        On Saturday, members of the Black community responded, saying groups demonstrating should not be divided.
                        "They tried to make us look like we are against each other. We might not all agree on the ways that we protest or we fight, but we know that we must fight," Kevin Wright said.

The mayor is also facing criticism for his remarks around direct action marches.

"They’re all dressed in all black. If you see this, call the police. If you can provide a license plate, if you can do so safely, that information can help later," Wheeler said on Friday.

The mayor's office shared a follow-up statement Saturday saying: "The only people who should be concerned are those who engage in criminal actions. The community is tired of self-described anarchists damaging churches, non-profits, and small businesses."

This follows vandalism at places like Starbucks in Northwest Portland earlier in the week.

Despite this, some speakers said they don't agree with the idea of citizens surveilling each other.

Members of the group told listeners they want funding taken away from the Portland Police Bureau and put back into the community.

"Black is a sacred color"

obviously the Mayor is racist if he is targeting people wearing black.

Comment

Maybe he should have said, "wearing all black and hiding their faces and carrying weapons"

Comment

Maybe he should have said, "wearing all black and hiding their faces and carrying weapons"
                            With masks still being required in some areas and requested virtually everywhere else the covering the face thing is going to be around awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              With masks still being required in some areas and requested virtually everywhere else the covering the face thing is going to be around awhile.
                              Man wearing black and a mask:

hypashield-supermask-reusable-outdoor-protection-mask-jassby-original-imafsf64hgpugaj6.jpg
                              ---------------

Antifa:

80577_USA190817ANTIFAPROTESTGETTY_1591288214630.jpg

any questions?

Comment