Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

United Nations Elects Iran To Its Commission On The Status Of Women

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• United Nations Elects Iran To Its Commission On The Status Of Women

This is why no one takes the idiots at the UN seriously. Stuff like this. Also elected there is China (which spent decades murdering females in the womb because of their One Child Policy), and Pakistan and Lebanon (which aren't far behind Iran in mistreatment of women).
    https://www.un.org/press/en/2021/ecosoc7040.doc.htm

Commission on Status of Women

Again by acclamation, the Council elected the following seven members for four-year terms beginning at the first meeting of the Commission’s sixty-seventh session in 2022 and expiring at the close of its seventieth session in 2026: Cabo Verde, Egypt, Mauritania and Tunisia (African States); and Costa Rica, Panama and Trinidad and Tobago (Latin American and Caribbean States). In one round of secret balloting, it elected China, Iran, Japan, Lebanon and Pakistan (Asia-Pacific States) to similar four-year terms.
    https://unwatch.org/un-elects-iran-t...s-rights-body/
    UN Watch is calling on U.S. Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield and EU states to condemn the UN’s election of Iran to a 4-year term on its Commission on the Status of Women, the “principal global intergovernmental body exclusively dedicated to the promotion of gender equality and the empowerment of women.”

The vote yesterday by the UN’s Economic and Social Council, reported first by UN Watch, sparked outrage among human rights activists. “Electing the Islamic Republic of Iran to protect women’s rights is like making an arsonist into the town fire chief,” said Hillel Neuer, executive director of UN Watch, the Geneva-based human rights group. “It’s absurd — and morally reprehensible. This is a black day for women’s rights, and for all human rights,” said Neuer.

At Least 4 EU & Western Democracies Backed Iran

Though the ballot was secret, UN Watch has determined that at least four of the 15 EU and Western Group democracies on ECOSOC—which include Australia, Austria, Canada, Finland, France, Latvia, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States—voted for Iran.

UN Watch called on lawmakers to demand that their governments reveal how they voted.

In 2017, after a similar secret ballot for the same UN women’s rights commission, a UN Watch campaign led to Belgium’s admission that it voted to elect Saudi Arabia, and to the revelation that the the Belgian government made sure to tell the Saudis that they voted for them.

Iranian Activists, Victims, Decry ‘Surreal’ Vote

“This is surreal,” tweeted Iranian women’s rights activist Masih Alinejad. “A regime that treats women as second class citizens, jails them for not wearing the compulsory hijab, bans them from singing, bars them from stadiums and doesn’t let them travel abroad without the permission of their husbands gets elected to the UN’s top women’s rights body.”

Kylie Moore-Gilbert, the Australian academic held hostage in Iran for 804 days, expressed astonishment at the election of her oppressor.

Iran’s Horrific Record on Women’s Rights

“Iran’s persecution of women is gross and systematic, both in law and in practice. The UN’s own secretary-general has reported on Iran’s ‘persistent discrimination against women and girls,'” said Neuer.

“Iran’s fundamentalist mullahs force women to cover their hair, with many arrested and attacked daily under the misogynistic hijab law. They require a woman to receive permission from her father to get married. The legal age for a girl to marry in Iran is 13—with even younger girls allowed to marry with paternal and judicial consent.”

“Ayatollah Khamenei’s regime imprisons courageous women’s rights activists, such as Nasrin Sotudeh, Mojgan Keshavarz, Yasaman Aryani, and Monireh Arabshahi, for the crime of peacefully demanding their human dignity.”

“Why, then, did the UN name one of the world’s worst oppressors of women as a world judge and guardian of gender equality and the empowerment of women?” asks Neuer.

“Today the UN sent a message that women’s rights can be sold out for backroom political deals, said Neuer, “and it let down millions of female victims in Iran and worldwide who look to the world body for protection.”

Iran’s fundamentalist and misogynistic regime is now one of 45 commission members that, according to the UN, will play an instrumental role in “promoting women’s rights, documenting the reality of women’s lives throughout the world, and shaping global standards on gender equality and the empowerment of women.”

Iran won 43 votes in a secret ballot yesterday at the UN’s 54-nation Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). Usually ECOSOC rubber-stamps nominations arranged behind closed doors by regional groups, however this time the U.S. demanded a vote be held.

“I commend the Biden Administration for forcing the vote, but they should also speak out to condemn the obscene election of Ayatollah Khamenei’s regime to a women’s rights body,” said Neuer.

Anybody surprised? The UN has been a joke for ages now.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

At this point I'd call the UN a Mickey Mouse Outfit, but I'm pretty sure Darth Disney's team of Lawyers-From-Hell would slap me with a Libel Suit faster than you can say, "Steamboat Willie," for daring to make the comparison.
      Have You Touched Grass Today? If Not, Please Do.

Comment

I wouldn't underestimate their global power and influence (and I say that not in any admirable way).

Transforming our world: the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development

Biden commits to cutting U.S. emissions in half by 2030 as part of Paris climate pact

Coincidence?

World Economic Forum, WHO, World Bank, UN... I wouldn't underestimate the power and influence of any of these global institutions that all seem to be connected by a common agenda -- global climate change reform. They apparently got the most powerful western country in the world to commit to their agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Pretty much. Look at the list of countries that typically serve on their Human Rights Commission. Talk about letting the foxes guard the henhouse.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Cabo Verde, Egypt, Mauritania and Tunisia (African States); and Costa Rica, Panama and Trinidad and Tobago (Latin American and Caribbean States). In one round of secret balloting, it elected China, Iran, Japan, Lebanon and Pakistan (Asia-Pacific States)
            Heck, to me it looks like every country on that commission is nearly as bad as Iran as far as treating women as equal to men. Even Japan. Nice job UN.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Heck, to me it looks like every country on that commission is nearly as bad as Iran as far as treating women as equal to men. Even Japan. Nice job UN.
              Outside of Europe, the U.S. and Canada, the rest of the world still largely sees wimmenfolk as second class citizens.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Years ago my high school class toured the UN. When we entered the main chamber, the tour guide said, "Does anybody know what happens in here?" My friend mumbled under his breath, "Nothing of any value."
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment