Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police unions have helped shield officers from accountability.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Had a girlfriend who moved to upstate New York to get a job paying twice what she made here. Then she discovered that the cost of living was effectively double what it is here so she figured on getting a PT job from the company that she left.

Even within the same company she couldn't get a letter of recommendation and all they would tell the HR person in NY was the day she started and the day she left. Not even the fact that she was the third highest person at the center she worked at.
    That's where references and letters of recommendation come in handy

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Thinking more about this -- I think, often, the "letter of recommendation" can come from a colleague or co-worker as an "unofficial" endorsement, not on behalf of the company.

Once, I got a call the Dallas Police Department about a guy who was terminated from my company, in my opinion, wrongfully. A hot-headed supervisor disapproved of this guy because he wasn't a "drink with the boys on company property" type, and was afraid he (an Air Force vet) would rat them out. This supervisor never checked with HR, where we clearly would have warned against the firing.

When DPD called, because this guy (who had been Air Police with the USAF) was applying for a job, they were pressing for the reason he was terminated. I was restricted by the HR policies to answering date of hire, date of termination, and our company had a "never rehire" policy.

So, I told the recruiting sergeant, "look, here's my personal cell phone number - don't call me as the HR guy - call me as a friend of the applicant".
      I literally walked outside the building and took the call, as a personal friend, and highly recommended him for the job, for which he was subsequently hired.
      At my current job I put down as a reference the son of the boss one of my previous jobs (boss had died). After my interview on the way home I got a call from the HR department offering me the job. They said the interviewer liked me and they called the reference and he gave them such a glowing recommendation that they didn't want to waste any time in hiring me. A good reference can really make the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        At my current job I put down as a reference the son of the boss one of my previous jobs (boss had died). After my interview on the way home I got a call from the HR department offering me the job. They said the interviewer liked me and they called the reference and he gave them such a glowing recommendation that they didn't want to waste any time in hiring me. A good reference can really make the difference.
        It really can - much more than a corporate "yes, he worked her from z to y...."
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Had a girlfriend who moved to upstate New York to get a job paying twice what she made here. Then she discovered that the cost of living was effectively double what it is here so she figured on getting a PT job from the company that she left.

Even within the same company she couldn't get a letter of recommendation and all they would tell the HR person in NY was the day she started and the day she left. Not even the fact that she was the third highest person at the center she worked at.
          Originally posted by Sparko View Post

That's where references and letters of recommendation come in handy
          As I said, she tried. That was how I found out about it. And it was with the same company.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment