Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Data Undercuts Myth of 'Racism' in Police Killings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Undercuts Myth of 'Racism' in Police Killings

More data exposing the insanity of the left...

President Biden claimed that Derek Chauvin's conviction on Tuesday "ripped the blinders off for the whole world to see the systemic racism" of police. With the police shooting that same day of 16-year-old girl in Columbus, Ohio, the White House again pushed the racism claim, noting that this was just another example of how "police violence disproportionately impacts Black and Latino people."

But where is the evidence for these claims? In Chauvin's trial, the prosecution never once mentioned evidence that the now-former officer is racist. A day after the verdict, the Biden administration announced plans for a pattern-or-practice investigation of the Minneapolis Police Department to determine if there is such racism, but the administration’s comments sure sound as if they have already determined the study’s outcome.

In the other case, body camera footage released by police revealed that Ma'Khia Bryant was fatally shot as she charged another girl with a knife. The officer shot one black girl in an attempt to save what appears to be another black girl from being stabbed.

Politicians such as Biden as well as the media have helped create a biased perception that is far from the reality of shootings by police. In a study, the Crime Prevention Research Center (where I serve as president) found that when a white officer kills a suspect, the media usually mention the officer's race. When the officer is black, news coverage rarely mentions that detail.

And there's evidence that blacks aren't all that fed up with the police. A July 2017 Quinnipiac University poll in New York City found that blacks strongly support the cops in their neighborhoods — 62% approved compared to just 35% who disapproved. That approval rating was 11 percentage points higher than for the New York City Police Department as a whole. It makes sense that people only know their local cops, and rely on media reports to form impressions about other areas they are less familiar with. A 2020 Monmouth University poll found that 72% of both blacks and whites are satisfied with their local police.

There is other evidence. If blacks don't trust the police, they presumably won't turn to them as frequently as whites when a crime occurs. Yet, blacks report violent crime to police at a higher rate than either whites or Hispanics, even when controlling for income levels. Low- and middle-income blacks are about 11 percentage points more likely to report violent crimes to police.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

To show how times have changed, liberal martyr John Lennon donated $1,000 in 1979 to the NYC police department to buy bullet-proof vests for their officers.

Today's liberal "defund" dingbats want to take them away.

Comment

It's a really strange leftist narrative that seems devoid of any and all facts no matter how you analyze the subject. If I didn't believe in the supernatural, I'd really be struggling to come to some explanation why this is happening so abruptly with the political left.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
        It's a really strange leftist narrative that seems devoid of any and all facts no matter how you analyze the subject. If I didn't believe in the supernatural, I'd really be struggling to come to some explanation why this is happening so abruptly with the political left.
        And you know my thoughts on that!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

More data exposing the insanity of the left...

President Biden claimed that Derek Chauvin's conviction on Tuesday "ripped the blinders off for the whole world to see the systemic racism" of police. With the police shooting that same day of 16-year-old girl in Columbus, Ohio, the White House again pushed the racism claim, noting that this was just another example of how "police violence disproportionately impacts Black and Latino people."

But where is the evidence for these claims? In Chauvin's trial, the prosecution never once mentioned evidence that the now-former officer is racist. A day after the verdict, the Biden administration announced plans for a pattern-or-practice investigation of the Minneapolis Police Department to determine if there is such racism, but the administration’s comments sure sound as if they have already determined the study’s outcome.

In the other case, body camera footage released by police revealed that Ma'Khia Bryant was fatally shot as she charged another girl with a knife. The officer shot one black girl in an attempt to save what appears to be another black girl from being stabbed.

Politicians such as Biden as well as the media have helped create a biased perception that is far from the reality of shootings by police. In a study, the Crime Prevention Research Center (where I serve as president) found that when a white officer kills a suspect, the media usually mention the officer's race. When the officer is black, news coverage rarely mentions that detail.

And there's evidence that blacks aren't all that fed up with the police. A July 2017 Quinnipiac University poll in New York City found that blacks strongly support the cops in their neighborhoods — 62% approved compared to just 35% who disapproved. That approval rating was 11 percentage points higher than for the New York City Police Department as a whole. It makes sense that people only know their local cops, and rely on media reports to form impressions about other areas they are less familiar with. A 2020 Monmouth University poll found that 72% of both blacks and whites are satisfied with their local police.

There is other evidence. If blacks don't trust the police, they presumably won't turn to them as frequently as whites when a crime occurs. Yet, blacks report violent crime to police at a higher rate than either whites or Hispanics, even when controlling for income levels. Low- and middle-income blacks are about 11 percentage points more likely to report violent crimes to police.
          Pfft. Data schmata. Forget the facts Jack -- 'cause around here

12992042_0.jpg
          C'monman. Smarten up.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
            I think Milton may have captured the mindset in his epic Paradise Lost when he had Lucifer proclaim

Better to reign in Hell than to serve in Heaven

As long as they are firmly on top it doesn't really matter

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Pfft. Data schmata. Forget the facts Jack -- 'cause around here

12992042_0.jpg
              C'monman. Smarten up.
              I'd say they choose truthiness over facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I'd say they choose truthiness over facts.
                No, you are using the wrong term. "Truthiness" applies to republicans. Liberals have "if it rings true it is true" thanks to the fire and fury author.

That was when they abandoned reason for madness.

Comment

This data has been available in one form or another for decades. I doubt any newer study will suddenly break down the walls of ignorance surrounding liberal minds.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

RealClearPolitics is right wing propaganda, giving conservatives the answers they want to hear.
                    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      Now there's the ff that we all know so well. Funny how you've become so much more angry and bitter since Trump was defeated. And here you thought everything was going to be flowers and butterflies when that happened. What went wrong?

Comment

The reason for people thinking that police are racist is selective reporting. The MSM reports and blows out of proportion police killing black people, but ignores police killing white people, or black civilians killing other black civilians, or the fact that most police departments have black officers too. The narrative is that the police are all white supremacists out to commit genocide on blacks. Anything that doesn't fit that narrative is not reported. Even in the Columbus shooting, NBC was found out selectively editing the 911 call and body cam footage to make the girl look unarmed. And they completely ignored a similar incident one city over in Cincinnati where a 13 y.o. black teen stabbed another one to death. And a gang shooting in Chicago where a 7 y.o. black girl was killed at McDonald's in a drive by. Her dad was shot too. I only heard of it from conservative sources and when I looked it up, I found them on local newspaper sites. The big MSM guys like NBC, CNN, etc didn't put THAT on the front page.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                          RealClearPolitics is right wing propaganda, giving conservatives the answers they want to hear.
                          P1: Conservatives want to hear the truth.
                          P2: RealClearPolitics reports the truth.
                          C: Therefore, RCP tells conservatives what they want to hear.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            The reason for people thinking that police are racist is selective reporting. The MSM reports and blows out of proportion police killing black people, but ignores police killing white people, or black civilians killing other black civilians, or the fact that most police departments have black officers too. The narrative is that the police are all white supremacists out to commit genocide on blacks. Anything that doesn't fit that narrative is not reported. Even in the Columbus shooting, NBC was found out selectively editing the 911 call and body cam footage to make the girl look unarmed. And they completely ignored a similar incident one city over in Cincinnati where a 13 y.o. black teen stabbed another one to death. And a gang shooting in Chicago where a 7 y.o. black girl was killed at McDonald's in a drive by. Her dad was shot too. I only heard of it from conservative sources and when I looked it up, I found them on local newspaper sites. The big MSM guys like NBC, CNN, etc didn't put THAT on the front page.
                            media-manipulation.jpgmedia racism.jpg
                            One could not be faulted if they thought that the MSM was no longer interested in reporting the news and had
                            instead switched over to creating the news and trying to shape opinion.

Mika Brzezinski on MSNBC's Morning Joe reminding everyone that
                            it's the MSM's "job" to "control exactly what people think" (end of clip)

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Mika Brzezinski on MSNBC's Morning Joe reminding everyone that
                              it's the MSM's "job" to "control exactly what people think"
                              Hilarious. There are a few people around here that never question what the MSM selectively tells them (including doctored photos)

albert.jpg
                              Last edited by Ronson; 04-23-2021, 08:16 AM.

Comment