Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Blue Wall of Silence Is Starting to Crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    These topics are complicated.
    Obviously too complicated for your simplistic little mind.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

From your own OP.....

We need every cop to wear a body camera. We need to curb the power of police unions, the biggest protectors of the blue wall. And we need officers of all stripes to back the words of those 14 in Minneapolis. They said, “This is not who we are.” Now prove it.

Perhaps you were too simplistic to realize that's what you posted. WHO are the biggest protectors of the blue wall? Police Unions.

Now, would you like to take exception with your own OP?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Obviously too complicated for your simplistic little mind.
        Ad hominem duly noted.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

What, more prattle? The public sector unions are problematic....
          1. In the Education arena -- they too often protect bad teachers.
          2. In the Public Safety arena -- they too often protect bad cops.

Those are facts.
          Without supporting evidence those comments remain merely your opinion.

You do not appear to understand the difference between a personal opinion and an established fact.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

An interesting op-ed piece from The New York Times on Friday 16 April on the officers that gave evidence against Derek Chauvin

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/16/o...it_nn_20210421

Cops protect the state. They also are the state. We revere them for the first part. We fear them for the second. But even as we condemn another round of horrific and excessive state violence directed at Black Americans, there’s actually a ray of hope on the police reform blotter.

The blue wall may be starting to crack. It was broken in the Derek Chauvin trial.

It’s no small thing that several Minneapolis police officers, including Chief Medaria Arradondo, took the stand against Mr. Chauvin in his trial over the death of George Floyd. Fourteen officers in the same department signed an open letter last year saying Mr. Chauvin “failed as a human and stripped George Floyd of his dignity and life.”

Maybe these acts of courage are isolated — mere dents in a wall that is institutional and pervasive. It will take far more than a few cops in a nation-shattering case of racist murder-by-authority to do structural damage to that edifice.

Cops protecting bad cops is ingrained in the system. Many officers feel that only a brother or sister in blue knows the peril they face — and has their backs. That’s true to an extent. But people in far more dangerous lines of work certainly don’t share this attitude. Too many police officers act as if being the face of the law makes them above the law.

Smashing the blue wall is one thing that has to happen to fix the lethal flaws in modern law enforcement. Another will be just as hard, if not more so: acknowledging that racism, like the code of silence, runs deep in police ranks.

Defunding the police is not the answer. It’s an absurd idea. A wave of violence and chaos quickly overwhelmed an area declared police-free in Seattle, where I live, last summer. Among the victims were several people of color. “Two African-American men are dead,” said the city’s police chief at the time, Carmen Best, “at a place where they claim to be working for Black Lives Matter.”

“Defund the police” is even worse as a political slogan; the idea is supported by only 18 percent of Americans, according to one poll from last month. Politically, all the slogan will do is hurt the cause of reform, as it appeared to drag down Democrats in last year’s congressional elections.

Reinventing the police, a far better idea, got a start in New Orleans in 2016, with a program that teaches officers to intervene when they see fellow officers doing something bad. It’s about to get another go in Maryland, now that lawmakers just overrode a veto and passed sweeping police reform legislation.

We need every cop to wear a body camera. We need to curb the power of police unions, the biggest protectors of the blue wall. And we need officers of all stripes to back the words of those 14 in Minneapolis. They said, “This is not who we are.” Now prove it.

This protection of fellow [corrupt] officers is not unique to the USA of course. Anyone who has access to Netflix may have seen a British series entitled Line of Duty about an anti-corruption section within a regional police force in Britain investigating "bent coppers". Germany also has endemic racism within sections of the police along with the infiltration of the extreme Right.

It is the age old problem of power which can, and often does lead to corruption, as well as that perennial question Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
            You started with a premise about a blue wall of silence, and never backed it up. Without supporting evidence, it's just your opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

You started with a premise about a blue wall of silence, and never backed it up. Without supporting evidence, it's just your opinion.
              No I offered an op ed piece which I found interesting.

I also noted that police corruption is not unique to the USA .
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

So... no facts. No evidence. Just an opinion that you agree with.

Without supporting evidence those comments remain merely your opinion.

You do not appear to understand the difference between a personal opinion and an established fact.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You offered no evidence of a "blue wall of silence"

Comment

You offered no evidence of a "blue wall of silence"

Read the title of the op-ed piece I cited. The answer will be found there.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Read the title of the op-ed piece I cited. The answer will be found there.
                      Oh, so you shared an article that's talking about an opinion about an opinion. Very enlightening of you.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        So... no facts. No evidence. Just an opinion that you agree with.
                        I found the NYT article interesting given that it cited the evidence of the officers against Chauvin. Or are you contending that was a fiction?

I also wrote that "This protection of fellow [corrupt] officers is not unique to the USA of course" and cited a fictitious series [but one that references real life incidents to wit Operations Yewtree and Midland as well as real life figures, Jimmy Saville].

I also referred to endemic racism within sections of the German police as well as the infiltration of the extreme Right.

My concern was centred on the issue that power can, and often does, corrupt along with the question Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

I do wonder if some here need some remedial lessons in basic reading for comprehension.

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Oh, so you shared an article that's talking about an opinion about an opinion. Very enlightening of you.
                          [my emphasis]

Timothy Egan, the author of the NYT op-ed piece, is expressing his opinions, not those of anyone else.

Or are you in denial about the officers who spoke out against Chauvin?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I found the NYT article interesting given that it cited the evidence of the officers against Chauvin. Or are you contending that was a fiction?
                            And virtually everyone here cites articles (not just an op-ed) and statistics etc. to support their position only for you to arrogantly hand wave it off as personal opinion. Would you care to hazard a guess how many sources Cow Poke has cited in this thread to support his position?

And while that Latin phrase inspired a great graphic novel and a fair movie, the HBO series was nothing but cringe worthy. I only made it through one episode.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              And virtually everyone here cites articles (not just an op-ed) and statistics etc. to support their position only for you to arrogantly hand wave it off as personal opinion.
                              I have not made an emphatic statement premised purely on my opinion which I have then presented as if it was fact.

Do you know anything at all about reading for comprehension?
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

[my emphasis]

Timothy Egan, the author of the NYT op-ed piece, is expressing his opinions, not those of anyone else.

Or are you in denial about the officers who spoke out against Chauvin?
                                No, but there's been no evidence presented of a "blue wall of silence", just an assumption that one exists. Which makes for a rather pointless opinion, given that there was no evidence cited for the opinion that something existed and was starting to crack.

Comment