Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Blue Wall of Silence Is Starting to Crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And you don't have to believe me, but all you got is brainless prattle.
    Rather defensive isn't it?

Well, a gross over-exaggeration, but I can see where you feel threatened

Awwwwwwww, you're feewin bewiddled? Need a safe place?.
    I am just noting your schoolyard tactics. Feel free to carry on with your puerile remarks you are simply confirming my opinion.

Yes, that's my opinion based on the FACTS that unions overwhelming support the Democrats, and the Democrats overwhelmingly support unions.
    And?

Teachers unions in particular are near and dear to the hearts of liberals, yet they - the teachers unions - are a major part of why our public education system is so screwed up.
    You are forgetting all the other issues we find in our society, including the trends in education over the past fifty years.

We need to curb the power of police unions, the biggest protectors of the blue wall.

Are you really wanting to dispute the article that YOU posted?
    The article does make that comment but the author offers no policy by which to achieve that end.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I did quite enjoy that show, sad that the network cancelled it to look woke, in a time where we need something like that more than ever.
      They are talking about bringing it back this year. I think the biggest problem is that with all of this anti-police sentiment it will be hard to get any police departments to participate. I mean why would they want to expose themselves like that, given that people will get angry even when it is a clear case of saving a life like with the Columbus shooting the other day?

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Writes someone who frequently employs invective, especially when he is crossed.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

They are talking about bringing it back this year. I think the biggest problem is that with all of this anti-police sentiment it will be hard to get any police departments to participate. I mean why would they want to expose themselves like that, given that people will get angry even when it is a clear case of saving a life like with the Columbus shooting the other day?
          People are getting angry because of skewed reporting -- namely telling folks she was merely "holding a knife" or even "unarmed."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Writes someone who frequently employs invective, especially when he is crossed.
            Stop, myirony meter was already a smoking ruin after your last post, have mercy on it!

Comment

Rather defensive isn't it?

I am just noting your schoolyard tactics. Feel free to carry on with your puerile remarks you are simply confirming my opinion.
              You dish it out freely, then cry like a baby when it comes back to you.

You are forgetting all the other issues we find in our society, including the trends in education over the past fifty years.
              I'm "forgetting" no such thing.

The article does make that comment but the author offers no policy by which to achieve that end.
              That they don't offer a policy doesn't negate the fact that they stated.

I think you've done that thing again where you wonder into matters about which you know precious little, so all ya got left is prattle.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

How do you know what I may have done in my earlier life?
                It's extremely obvious you are incredibly ignorant where it comes to matters of policing, so I think I'm safe with that assumption.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You dish it out freely, then cry like a baby when it comes back to you.
                  The inability to engage in an exchange without resorting to making pejorative remarks [and for at least one contributor on occasion abusive language] towards one's interlocutor is an attribute of several individuals here.

I'm "forgetting" no such thing.
                  Attempting to attribute the problems in public school education to the teaching unions is clear indication you have not considered other factors that have occurred within US public education [and indeed US society] over the last forty years or so.

That they don't offer a policy doesn't negate the fact that they stated.
                  The author's comment on the power of the police unions is an observation upon the situation as they see it, nothing more. .

I think you've done that thing again where you wonder into matters about which you know precious little, so all ya got left is prattle.
                  Pointing out that my interlocutor has made unsubstantiated remarks that they then wish to present is fact is a fallacy upon which I have often commented.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It's extremely obvious you are incredibly ignorant where it comes to matters of policing, so I think I'm safe with that assumption.
                    Take into account the limits of your own experience.

I would also point out that while many western countries face the same problems with crime, having a [potentially armed] civilian population makes the USA a little different when it comes to police shootings.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Take into account the limits of your own experience.
                      You mean my 50 years compared to your ZERO time?

I would also point out that while many western countries face the same problems with crime, having a [potentially armed] civilian population makes the USA a little different when it comes to police shootings.
                      The USA is WAY different than most other countries in the world in MAY respects.

Cops in the US, however, don't often have running battles with armed law-abiding citizens.

Comment

The inability to engage in an exchange without resorting to making pejorative remarks [and for at least one contributor on occasion abusive language] towards one's interlocutor is an attribute of several individuals here.
                        Well, first of all, that's a steaming pile of horsie poo --- I quite OFTEN engage in debate without "engage[ing] in an exchange without resorting to making pejorative remarks". I don't tolerate s very well, and you seem a tad hypersensitive to my dismissiveness. (I don't cutsy when I reply to you, by the way )

You, however, make a habit of arguing against, or criticizing a point, without actually addressing the issue. You're quite well known for that.

Attempting to attribute the problems in public school education to the teaching unions
                        More dishonesty and ignorance on your part.

A) I have NOT attributed the problems to "the teaching unions"
                        2) They are not "teaching unions" -- that's absolute proof of your profound ignorance on this subject.

The "teaching unions" don't teach ANYBODY -- they represent the interests of teachers, who PAY them to do so, and do NOT represent any students.

is clear indication you have not considered other factors that have occurred within US public education [and indeed US society] over the last forty years or so.
                        Ah, so your asinine assumption that I blame the non-existent "teaching unions" leads you to believe that I have not considered other factors --- which I, indeed, HAVE.

The author's comment on the power of the police unions is an observation upon the situation as they see it, nothing more. .
                        I have started several threads on the problem with police unions. The "author" didn't bring them up just because they needed a higher word count.

Pointing out that my interlocutor has made unsubstantiated remarks
                        Another steaming pile of horsie poo.

that they then wish to present is fact is a fallacy upon which I have often commented.
                        Well, my interlocutor has made bird-brained stupid and unsupportable statements showing her profound ignorance on the subject, and the mere fact that she endlessly prattles on in her ignorance doesn't make her profound ignorance any less profound.

If you actually wish to address the subject, then do so --- but if all you're going to do is whine and prattle - do so elsewhere.

Comment

Attempting to attribute the problems in public school education to the teaching unions
                          I think this is the best proof yet that you know absolutely NOTHING about this situation.

Comment

You mean my 50 years compared to your ZERO time?

The USA is WAY different than most other countries in the world in MAY respects.

Cops in the US, however, don't often have running battles with armed law-abiding citizens.

Well, first of all, that's a steaming pile of horsie poo --- I quite OFTEN engage in debate without "engage[ing] in an exchange without resorting to making pejorative remarks". I don't tolerate s very well, and you seem a tad hypersensitive to my dismissiveness. (I don't cutsy when I reply to you, by the way )

You, however, make a habit of arguing against, or criticizing a point, without actually addressing the issue. You're quite well known for that.

More dishonesty and ignorance on your part.

A) I have NOT attributed the problems to "the teaching unions"
                            2) They are not "teaching unions" -- that's absolute proof of your profound ignorance on this subject.

The "teaching unions" don't teach ANYBODY -- they represent the interests of teachers, who PAY them to do so, and do NOT represent any students.

Ah, so your asinine assumption that I blame the non-existent "teaching unions" leads you to believe that I have not considered other factors --- which I, indeed, HAVE.

I have started several threads on the problem with police unions. The "author" didn't bring them up just because they needed a higher word count.

Another steaming pile of horsie poo.

Well, my interlocutor has made bird-brained stupid and unsupportable statements showing her profound ignorance on the subject, and the mere fact that she endlessly prattles on in her ignorance doesn't make her profound ignorance any less profound.

If you actually wish to address the subject, then do so --- but if all you're going to do is whine and prattle - do so elsewhere.

I think this is the best proof yet that you know absolutely NOTHING about this situation.
                            Oooh I am flattered. Three replies - you must be keen.

As previously noted longevity of tenure [even 50 years] is not automatic evidence of competence.

Are you also an expert on the US education system, US social history, and developments in education over the past fifty years? All of which impact on the position [and power] of the teaching unions and their role in the education system with regard to their members.

From the glib remarks you have made, I suspect not.

Now let us get back to the topic of my thread which is the possibility that some police are indicating a reluctance to stay silent and "close ranks" over inappropriate behaviour and/or corruption among their colleagues.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

As previously noted longevity of tenure [even 50 years] is not automatic evidence of competence.
                              And yet it is universally perceived as being a far better indicator of competence and expertise than someone having absolutely no experience. Why do you think that is?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Oooh I am flattered. Three replies - you must be keen.
                                Don't be - it was boredom.

Nobody said it was, but anybody with half a brain would value that over somebody who has ZERO experience, who doesn't even live here, and ignorantly thinks that "teachers unions" are "teaching unions". Do you wrongly believe, also, that "police unions" are "policing unions"?

Now let us get back to the topic of my thread which is the possibility that some police are indicating a reluctance to stay silent and "close ranks"
                                It's not just "some police" and it's not new. Good cops, seeing all this drastic change in the country, are seen a need to defend good cops.

over inappropriate behaviour and/or corruption among their colleagues.
                                Inappropriate behavior which is very OFTEN excused and protected by Police Unions, and is certainly the case with regards to Chauvin.

Prattle on, however, full speed ahead!

Comment