Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Blue Wall of Silence Is Starting to Crack

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

    You quoted my words. Did you not understand them?



    What archaic usage of words did I employ in my reply that Sparko quoted?
    Stop your silly constractulating.

    Comment


    • MORE reasons Police Unions are a really bad idea - either National, or otherwise...

      After a blitz of police killings, reformers focus on the power of their unions

      [ bolding and embiggening for emphasis mine ]

      Pressure for police reform is mounting after the guilty verdicts against former Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin and a new burst of police killings, and reformers nationwide are increasingly focused on a key component of law enforcement culture: police unions.

      Across the nation, unions and their leaders have strongly defended officers against accusations of excessive violence, often directed against people of color. Cities are dangerous places, they say, and that justifies a warrior-like approach to policing.

      But in a series of interviews, Berkeley scholars said police unions have successfully used a range of tools, from the fine print in labor contracts to millions of dollars in political donations, to shield officers from accountability and promote hardline policing practices. While discipline is often secret and officers rarely lose their jobs, they say, cities have paid tens of millions of dollars in settlements with recent victims.

      In New York City, a powerful union leader threatened a work slowdown after a white officer was fired for killing Eric Garner, a Black man. In Chicago, a union leader expressed support for the Jan. 6 attack at the U.S Capitol. And in Missouri, one major union embraced legislation to allow the use of deadly force against protesters on private property and give legal immunity to drivers who hit demonstrators blocking traffic.

      “I think the unions are a big problem,” said retired U.S. District Court Judge Thelton Henderson, who spent the last part of his career overseeing reforms at the Oakland Police Department. “They feel their strength comes from protecting their members, and so they do everything to protect the members no matter what they do.… In their view, there’s no such thing as a bad apple that they have to pull out of the barrel.”

      Henderson is now a visiting scholar at the UC Berkeley School of Law, and he recently worked with law Professor Catherine Fisk and other top legal experts on a framework for reform in California law that would increase transparency and public oversight of police labor negotiations and disciplinary processes.

      If unions are “not effectively challenged by management, by elected officials, by numerical and perhaps racial minorities within police departments for fear of retaliation,” Fisk said in an interview, then the unions’ muscular exercise of power “feeds on itself and becomes ever more extreme.”


      Unions ARE "the Blue Wall".
      "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

      Comment


      • 58jogp.jpg

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          EGGzackly --- and Democrats can't attack either the Teachers Unions or the Police unions because .... well... what you just showed!
          "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

            EGGzackly --- and Democrats can't attack either the Teachers Unions or the Police unions because .... well... what you just showed!
            They had no trouble throwing all those union workers set to build the Keystone pipeline under the bus.

            I'm always still in trouble again

            "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

            Comment


            • Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              They had no trouble throwing all those union workers set to build the Keystone pipeline under the bus.
              The attacked the project....the union was collateral. That's different than attacking the union directly.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                They had no trouble throwing all those union workers set to build the Keystone pipeline under the bus.
                For which I hope they pay dearly.
                "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

                  For which I hope they pay dearly.
                  If H.R.1 passes they'll have absolutely nothing to fear from that.

                  I'm always still in trouble again

                  "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                  Comment


                  • A 2007 lawsuit said the president of the Minneapolis police union wore a 'white power' patch on his motorcycle jacket and discriminated against officers of color

                    What could possibly go wrong?

                    • A group of black Minneapolis Police officers, including the current chief, sued the department in 2007 over discrimination within the department.
                    • The suit alleged differential treatment of black police officers when it came to overtime, promotions, and even discipline.
                    • In the complaint, plaintiffs said that the current president of the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis, Bob Kroll, openly wore a "white power" patch on his motorcycle jacket.
                    The graphic footage of George Floyd begging for help as Minneapolis Officer Derek Chauvin pinned him to the ground for at least eight minutes, eventually killing him, has dominated the national conversation.

                    Floyd's death has resulted in the firing of Chauvin and three other officers on the scene. It has also sparked citywide riots and led to police and politicians around the country — in unprecedented language — condemning the actions of the Minneapolis officers involved.

                    One voice that has been relatively absent from the outrage, though, is the usually outspoken Lt. Bob Kroll, the head of the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis.


                    Yes, we really need a NATIONAL Police Union!


                    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      A 2007 lawsuit said the president of the Minneapolis police union wore a 'white power' patch on his motorcycle jacket and discriminated against officers of color

                      What could possibly go wrong?

                      • A group of black Minneapolis Police officers, including the current chief, sued the department in 2007 over discrimination within the department.
                      • The suit alleged differential treatment of black police officers when it came to overtime, promotions, and even discipline.
                      • In the complaint, plaintiffs said that the current president of the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis, Bob Kroll, openly wore a "white power" patch on his motorcycle jacket.
                      The graphic footage of George Floyd begging for help as Minneapolis Officer Derek Chauvin pinned him to the ground for at least eight minutes, eventually killing him, has dominated the national conversation.

                      Floyd's death has resulted in the firing of Chauvin and three other officers on the scene. It has also sparked citywide riots and led to police and politicians around the country — in unprecedented language — condemning the actions of the Minneapolis officers involved.

                      One voice that has been relatively absent from the outrage, though, is the usually outspoken Lt. Bob Kroll, the head of the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis.


                      Yes, we really need a NATIONAL Police Union!

                      Considering how in this environment simply giving someone the "okay" signal can be viewed as supporting white supremacy, I'd have to see the "white power" patch in question.

                      I'm always still in trouble again

                      "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

                      Comment

                      Related Threads

                      Collapse

                      Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by Sparko, Today, 10:51 AM
                      2 responses
                      12 views
                      0 likes
                      Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                      Started by rogue06, Today, 09:46 AM
                      7 responses
                      32 views
                      0 likes
                      Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                      Started by rogue06, Today, 06:44 AM
                      6 responses
                      37 views
                      0 likes
                      Last Post CivilDiscourse  
                      Started by Gondwanaland, Yesterday, 10:55 AM
                      2 responses
                      53 views
                      0 likes
                      Last Post kccd
                      by kccd
                       
                      Started by Hypatia_Alexandria, Yesterday, 10:04 AM
                      109 responses
                      561 views
                      0 likes
                      Last Post mossrose  
                      Working...
                      X