Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Blue Wall of Silence Is Starting to Crack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    That archaic usage is not uncommon around these parts. If you didn't keep nit-picking over verbification that nobody but you seems to have any trouble with (or more likely that you see as a gotcha opportunity), conversations would be increasingly fruitful.
    I reckon! Americans tend to do that. Especially southerners. Like using "yonder" to mean "over there" - I read that a lot of the American southern dialect vocabulary came straight from Ye Olde Elizabethan Early Modern English.
    Last edited by Sparko; 05-03-2021, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      [SIZE=14px][FONT=Calibri] A national union to which all police officers had the right to join would prevent these various unions operating [even though of those present organisations have members across the nation]
      You..... you do realize that many non-police unions with the organized crime influences, etc., are.... national unions, right? Or even international ones that cover the continent...... right? Like...?????

What do you think making it a national union here for police will do, other than give an even easier network for organized crime to get its tendrils into?????

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I reckon! Americans tend to do that. Especially southerners. Like using "yonder" to mean "over there" - I read that a lot of the American southern dialect vocabulary came straight from Ye Olde Elizabethan Early Modern English.
        Ain't no use in throwing out a perfectly good word that ain't done nobody no harm.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Ain't no use in throwing out a perfectly good word that ain't done nobody no harm.
          I hear ye! I reckon some of them thar furriners seem to be gettin' a might too big fer their britches, tryin' to tell us how to speak. They'n might needs to study up on our lingo.

Comment

I hear ye! I reckon some of them thar furriners seem to be gettin' a might too big fer their britches, tryin' to tell us how to speak. They'n might needs to study up on our lingo.
            True dat.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Can you clarify your position?
              Sure. Unions are bad for police departments.

Clear enough? Pretty much what I've been saying throughout this entire thread.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

OK sure, but what about Police Unions?

Comment

Is that an appeal for sympathy?

You had no cause to request me to "dial down the tone" merely because I politely thanked rogue06 for his comments.

You need to stop using the tactic of do as I say not as I do. It gives the impression you are a hypocrite.
                  H_A Derail Logo.png
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Which words in the quote you cited and given [again] below are too difficult for you to understand?

You are the one who introduced an archaic meaning for a word. I just gave you another word that also has an archaic meaning in order to balance things out.

And I agree with most of those points made by Egan and yourself, with reservations as to power being handed to command and/or local representatives/politicians without any independent oversight.

I would not curtail the unions but I would prefer to see a national union established for all police officers, rather than, as seems to be the present case, a rather piece-meal collection of local groups most of which have no affiliation with any larger organisation.
                    I believe you have mistaken Sparko for me.

Comment

OK sure, but what about Police Unions?

Yes

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
                        You..... you do realize that many non-police unions with the organized crime influences, etc., are.... national unions, right? Or even international ones that cover the continent...... right? Like...?????

What do you think making it a national union here for police will do, other than give an even easier network for organized crime to get its tendrils into?????
                        It's worse than that --- the Teamsters Union represents many Police Departments, and they are both national AND under the watchful eye of the Department of Justice for fraud, criminal activity and racketeering.

Creating a national police union is by far one of the dumbest ideas I have seen proposed on this board.

Comment

• So, if somebody is proposing a solution to a problem, and it has been pointed out how wrought with problems that "solution" is, one should be able to explain why that "solution" is appropriate.

There are TONS of reasons why it is not.

Comment

So, if somebody is proposing a solution to a problem, and it has been pointed out how wrought with problems that "solution" is, one should be able to explain why that "solution" is appropriate.

There are TONS* of reasons why it is not.

*to the pedantic, that's hyperbole, and was typed very quietly - hence, no shouting.

Comment

I'll go even further: Unions are bad for police departments, as well as the communities those police departments police and the people that live in those communities.

Things police unions are ACTUALLY (note: I am not shouting, and typed with the softest fingertip taps on my phone keyboard) good for: organized crime, bad cops, union leaders' wallets, corrupt politicians who get donations from said unions.
                              Last edited by Gondwanaland; 05-03-2021, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I'll go even further: Unions are bad for police departments, as well as the communities those police departments police and the people that live in those communities.
                                EGGzackly --- and I'll go even furthererer.... Unions are really bad for public education, as they pit the interest of teachers against the students and communities.

Comment