Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police officer shot and killed a Black teenage girl holding a knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

Noboby else was hurt. Maybe, nobody else would have been hurt. We will never know.

Obviously the cop has to intervene in some way, but does he really have to fire four times, when she had not herself inflicted injury on anyone else. What steps had the other girls taken either to enrage the victim or remove themselves from danger?

Shoot first, ask questions later, seems to be your answer.
    You are an idiot. He had what, 3 seconds to react? And you think he should have taken the time to what? Take inventory of what happened with the other girls first? and still be able to prevent the girl in pink's murder?

He had two choices: Shoot the girl with the knife and save the girl in pink, or don't shoot and let the girl in pink be stabbed by the other girl. If he did that he would be in trouble for NOT trying to save a black life and saving a murderer instead.

He did the right thing. He protected the girl who was being assaulted with a knife wielding assailant. And no, he couldn't have just shot once then waited to see if she would have stopped or continued to attack.

Comment

i don't think that has been established by the evidence. Lets not be seduced by notions of pre-crime, like in Minority Report. You don't want to be getting involved with dodgy eye surgery.
      at this point you are just trolling. Good one.

did you actually watch the video of the event?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Here is a video of the press conference which showed the body cam - it goes through it in more detail including slow motion.
        Wow. That cop did a good job. He not only saw things the other cops didn't (the others looked confused) but he shot the assailant at the last possible moment. She was just about to stab her victim in the chest.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

So you would have been perfectly fine if the officer had just stood there and let her stab the other girl.

Got it.
          Wokeism works in a way that it can evolve and adapt if necessary.

If the cop had let the girl get stabbed, FF and his ilk would be saying -- "See, this proves black lives don't matter. If the victim had been white, the cop would have stopped it!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Wow. That cop did a good job. He not only saw things the other cops didn't (the others looked confused) but he shot the assailant at the last possible moment. She was just about to stab her victim in the chest.
            Firstfloor: But he should have questioned her first!

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

Wokeism works in a way that it can evolve and adapt if necessary.

If the cop had let the girl get stabbed, FF and his ilk would be saying -- "See, this proves black lives don't matter. If the victim had been white, the cop would have stopped it!"
              yup.

Comment

at this point you are just trolling. Good one.

did you actually watch the video of the event?
                I did watch the video. All I am saying is that it is impossible to know what would have happened had the policeman not fired his weapon. Therefore it is impossible to say that other injuries were prevented. Obviously, the policeman is not at fault if he believed that someone was about to be stabbed.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Again, not just "bad journalism", but guerilla warfare journalism.
                  Honestly I think they knew viewership and ratings were about to drop with the trial ending, so when this fell in their lap they gleefully ran with like they did hoping to rile people up for another summer of riots to cover

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Let's be perfectly clear - the TITLE of this thread is BOGUS ---- but that is what the media was reporting even when they KNEW it wasn't just about a "teenager holding a knife". It was a steaming pile of horsie poo from the start.
                    Technically speaking the title is accurate. Accurate in the same way that saying someone taking potshots at people with a rifle is holding a gun.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I did watch the video.
                      From your first remarks it was evident you had not seen the video at that point.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

i don't think that has been established by the evidence...
                        You're doing that thing again where you're the court jester and you run out and say really dumb things just to get attention.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I did watch the video.
                          Try it again with your eyes open and the sound on.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I did watch the video. All I am saying is that it is impossible to know what would have happened had the policeman not fired his weapon. Therefore it is impossible to say that other injuries were prevented. Obviously, the policeman is not at fault if he believed that someone was about to be stabbed.
                            He did.

Comment

Fox has been showing a video from a neighbor's security camera (from across the street) - it shows a wide angle view of what was going on. In it you can see that the cop really had no choice and everything happened in a few seconds. I haven't seen that video posted online yet but if I do I will post it here.

--
                              eta: you can view the video here:

https://nypost.com/2021/04/22/makhia...-had-to-shoot/
                              Local news is reporting that a number of neighbors were seen video recording things but doesn't make clear at what point they started their recording, but it might mean more videos will be surfacing just as soon as TMZ and the rest cough up the Benjamins.

Comment

• New Columbus shooting footage suggests the victim’s family isn’t telling the truth

The family of a 16-year-old black girl fatally shot this week by a white police officer in Columbus, Ohio, claims the teen was acting in self-defense when law enforcement officials arrived on the scene.

They claim Ma'Khia Bryant was armed with a knife because she was being attacked.

However, based on newly released footage captured by a neighbor’s security camera, we know at least the claim she was just protecting herself when the police showed up is not true.

The new video, which supplements footage captured by a responding police officer’s body camera, shows the teenage girl instigating an altercation outside her foster home shortly after law enforcement officials arrive. The footage shows Bryant knocking one person to ground while apparently shouting, “I'm going to stab the f--- out of you, b----.”

Bryant then turns around and attempts to stab an unarmed woman. That’s when a police officer intervenes, shooting the teen four times and killing her.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1385302883638337542

The new tape raises serious questions about the Bryant family’s version of events.

On Tuesday, before the Columbus Division of Police released bodycam footage of the shooting incident, family members claimed Bryant was just protecting herself when the police arrived. Some family members also suggested responding officers intentionally targeted the teen because she was black.

Hazel Bryant, who says she is the girl’s aunt, told reporters Tuesday she was “fending off a physical assault” when the police arrived.

We know now this isn’t true based on the neighbor’s security footage, which shows Ma'Khia Bryant as the instigator of the altercation police attempted to defuse shortly after arriving on scene.

“The police are going to lie,” said Hazel Bryant, who wasn’t present herself for the incident but claims she heard about it later from the teen’s grandmother and father. “I’m so thankful that someone from the family was actually on the scene.”

If someone is lying, it sure doesn’t appear to be the police.

Hazel Bryant also said Ma'Khia, who was at her foster home at the time of her death, grabbed a knife to defend herself when several women came to her house and started an altercation.

“The police are going to lie,” the alleged aunt told reporters. “The police are going to cover up for themselves. They don’t care. At this point, I feel like they’re just out to kill black people. They’re not here to protect and serve. That isn’t happening. That’s been over a long time ago. They’re not here to protect and serve. They’re here to kill black folks.”

The victim’s great-grandmother, Ila, suggested the police simply wanted to kill the girl, going as far as to compare her to Breonna Taylor, who was killed during a botched, amateur-hour police raid in Louisville in March 2020.

“It looks to me like that’s what the police wanted to do, to kill her. I’m just trying to figure out why,” Ila Bryant told the Daily Beast.

Elsewhere, the victim’s biological mother, Paula Bryant, told a local news station her daughter “was a very loving, peaceful little girl. She was an honor-roll student, and Ma’khia had a motherly nature about her. She promoted peace.”

This may very well be true. Ma'Khia Bryant may have been a lover of peace. She may have even grabbed a knife to defend herself before the police showed up on the scene.

But the allegation the 16-year-old was simply acting in self-defense when law enforcement officials arrived clearly doesn’t appear to be true, based on the latest available footage of the incident.

Comment