Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police officer shot and killed a Black teenage girl holding a knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post

A tall order from an MSM with hemorrhaging ratings in the post-Trump era. Egging-on civil unrest and riots makes for lucrative clickbait.
    It's not by any stretch just the MSM. The right wing pundits are just as guilty if not more so. That is why I said 'ALL the media'. The polarization in this country is off the charts, and our enemies that have fed that are quite happy about it. It will take a conscious effort on all sides to ratchet it down.
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

A tall order from an MSM with hemorrhaging ratings in the post-Trump era. Egging on civil unrest and riots makes for lucrative clickbait.
      OK, slow day, and I gotta go do something else, so another quick story.

One of my police buddies came from a department up in Idaho, from a small town where there was a water treatment plant on the edge of town.
      In the winter, the "stuff" (human waste, etc) would freeze up and block up the works, so they had a bubbler system that pumped warm air from the bottom of the tanks, bubbling up to the surface, to keep the "stuff" from freezing. ("stuff" is a reference to the bad word for "poop")

So, one of the 'duties' of the local police was to drive by the sewage plant at least once an hour during the night to make sure the "stuff" was still bubbling.
      They would radio in "treatment plant - SSB" - meaning "the 'stuff' is still bubbling".

That transitioned into the follow-up of domestic disputes, where the officers would have to respond more than once per night, and try to calm things down.
      Often, the would leave the scene of the domestic dispute, and radio in "all calm for now, but SSB" -- yeah, it's still bubbling.

The media is not happy unless they're actually stirring up the "stuff" - not content with simply reporting when it's bubbling.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

One of my police buddies came from a department up in Idaho, from a small town where there was a water treatment plant on the edge of town.
        In the winter, the "stuff" (human waste, etc) would freeze up and block up the works, so they had a bubbler system that pumped warm air from the bottom of the tanks, bubbling up to the surface, to keep the "stuff" from freezing. ("stuff" is a reference to the bad word for "poop")

So, one of the 'duties' of the local police was to drive by the sewage plant at least once an hour during the night to make sure the "stuff" was still bubbling.
        They would radio in "treatment plant - SSB" - meaning "the 'stuff' is still bubbling".

That transitioned into the follow-up of domestic disputes, where the officers would have to respond more than once per night, and try to calm things down.
        Often, the would leave the scene of the domestic dispute, and radio in "all calm for now, but SSB" -- yeah, it's still bubbling.

The media is not happy unless they're actually stirring up the "stuff" - not content with simply reporting when it's bubbling.
        Politicians, too.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I mean, when you read some of the articles about this story, you can literally see the meticulous and calculating way they're framing it to look like something it isn't. It's purely intentional.

Comment

I mean, when you read some of the articles about this story, you can literally see the meticulous and calculating way they're framing it to look like something it isn't. It's purely intentional.
            Absolutely --- they're doing their best to make it Chapter II of George Floyd --- so that the liberals can put the pedal to the metal on Police Reform their own way.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No comment needed except to point out, this woman has more than 450k followers...

Comment

No comment needed except to point out, this woman has more than 450k followers...

Well obviously she doesn't mean "abolish" as in get rid of...

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"We do not need police to address these situations."

If the police did decide to stop responding, I'd give it about a week before people in the community begged them to start responding again.

Comment

I need to stop reading Twitter threads. The number of people saying idiotic things like "Why didn't the police deescalate?" or "Why didn't he fire a warning shot?" or "Why didn't he just shoot her in the leg?" makes me depressed. The most ridiculous was the suggestion that the officer should have let the girl swing away because "at most, she would have gotten in 1 stab, most likely in a non-fatal area." How can someone be that stupid and manage to get through the day without mortally injuring themselves?

Comment

Absolutely --- they're doing their best to make it Chapter II of George Floyd --- so that the liberals can put the pedal to the metal on Police Reform their own way.
                      I was watching the local NBC station this morning - they said nothing about the knife or someone about to get stabbed.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

I was watching the local NBC station this morning - they said nothing about the knife or someone about to get stabbed.
                        Yeah, our ABC affiliate just mentioned the "police shot a juvenile holding a knife". This really should concern people. If I were the mother of one of the girls who was attacked, I'd be hacked. Unless, of course, I hated the police more than I loved my daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

And in a jaw-dropping display of honesty and integrity the like of which tends to cause folks to be on the look out for four rather scary-looking men on horseback, last night CNN Prime Time host Chris "Fredo" Cuomo and CNN Tonight host Don a-black-hole-sucked-up-Flight-370 Lemon actually defended the Columbus, Ohio officer.

Lemon, even explained how difficult it was for the police when they roll up at scenes that are pure chaos explaining:

When they roll up on the scene, they see people tussling around. Someone has a knife. And their job is to protect and serve. Every life on that scene. And if they see someone who is in the process of taking a life, what is that decision, what decision do they have to make? And I..., that people say, “Well, you can do this you can do that.” Tasers don't work the way guns work.

An even bigger shock is when Cuomo started questioning where were the parents, especially since the father of the girl who was killed apparently only came out of the house after the shooting in order to get in a fight with the cops.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

At the end of the day this is a clear example of Anchoring. The idea that this was an unjust shooting has been set for many people. Now that the idea has been set, the rationale to keep that idea set will shift as new evidence comes available, while the opinion remains fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              And in a jaw-dropping display of honesty and integrity the like of which tends to cause folks to be on the look out for four rather scary-looking men on horseback, last night CNN Prime Time host Chris "Fredo" Cuomo and CNN Tonight host Don a-black-hole-sucked-up-Flight-370 Lemon actually defended the Columbus, Ohio officer.

Lemon, even explained how difficult it was for the police when they roll up at scenes that are pure chaos explaining:

When they roll up on the scene, they see people tussling around. Someone has a knife. And their job is to protect and serve. Every life on that scene. And if they see someone who is in the process of taking a life, what is that decision, what decision do they have to make? And I..., that people say, “Well, you can do this you can do that.” Tasers don't work the way guns work.

An even bigger shock is when Cuomo started questioning where were the parents, especially since the father of the girl who was killed apparently only came out of the house after the shooting in order to get in a fight with the cops.
                              And LeBron was his usual idiot self...

LeBron James accused of inciting violence with 'YOU'RE NEXT' tweet targeting Columbus police officer

https://www.foxnews.com/media/lebron...ure-next-tweet

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
                                At the end of the day this is a clear example of Anchoring. The idea that this was an unjust shooting has been set for many people. Now that the idea has been set, the rationale to keep that idea set will shift as new evidence comes available, while the opinion remains fixed.
                                And the same thing happened with "hands up don't shoot", and "he was bludgeoned to death with a fire extinguisher". Once those lies are out there, yeah - what you said!

What we need is a judge to declare "the jury* will disregard those statements". (the jury always sits up and takes note!)

*the jury of public opinion

Comment