Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police officer shot and killed a Black teenage girl holding a knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

The girl that called 911 was the one killed.
    *claimed by the Aunt, so far, I haven't seen that corroborated.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I have to believe this is a very troubled girl - she was reportedly in the care of Social Services, yet her mother is speaking for her. And the fact that she is the one who called 911 doesn't change the fact that she is the one with the knife in her hand threatening others.
      So, I was doublechecking on this, and went back to the Columbus Dispatch...

The girl's mother, Paula Bryant, and the Franklin County Children's Services identified her as Ma'Khia Bryant. Although local law enforcement identified her as 15 years old at a news conference Tuesday, the FCCS gave the girl's age as 16.

"Ma'Khia was a foster child, who was under the care of Franklin County Children Services," the FCCS said in a statement. "This was a tragic incident and FCCS is continuing its involvement with the family throughout this difficult time."

Not sure if "the girl's mother" is her biological mom (they have the same last name), or foster mom, but the fact that she was under the care of FCCS indicates a troubled childhood at best.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Yet she is still attempting to stab two people after the cops arrive!
        It's definitely a bit of a mystery at this point - one that will likely lend itself to misinformation and hothead responses before we know all the details.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

It's definitely a bit of a mystery at this point - one that will likely lend itself to misinformation and hothead responses before we know all the details.
          What details? She was trying to stab people. That is clear.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The girl that called 911 was the one killed.
            where did you find that? I thought it was the mother?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

From one of the press conferences ---

During a press conference, officials play sound from two 911 calls made by witnesses on site where 16-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant was shot by a responding officer. The officials have not yet identified who made the phone calls.

Witness from Columbus police shooting calls 911: ‘We need a police officer here now’ (msnbc.com)
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What's the mystery? Have you watched the bodycam footage? She was wielding a knife, charged at one girl knocking her to the ground, and then raised the knife and lunged at a second girl who was cowering. It all went down within 10-seconds of the officer exiting his vehicle, and five of those seconds were him running towards the altercation and saying, "Hey, what's going on?" He didn't have any time to attempt to deescalate, as some on social media are demanding, and the girl's weapon and actions forced the officer choose a lethal response versus nonlethal.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

During a press conference, officials play sound from two 911 calls made by witnesses on site where 16-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant was shot by a responding officer. The officials have not yet identified who made the phone calls.

Witness from Columbus police shooting calls 911: ‘We need a police officer here now’ (msnbc.com)
                  It sounds like the second phone call may have been the mother (an adult female) but did a "never mind, police are already here".

Comment

That's the story that's making the rounds at the moment. Supposedly some girls showed up to pick a fight with the girl in black, so she (the girl in black) called the police and then grabbed a knife and rushed out the door to confront her assailants. No idea if that's true, but it doesn't really add up. Why not just stay in the house and wait for the police to arrive? And why continue the deadly assault when there are police on the scene? It's hard to say what was going through her head (maybe that's what ox is referring to as a mystery?).
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

What's the mystery? Have you watched the bodycam footage? She was wielding a knife, charged at one girl knocking her to the ground, and then raised the knife and lunged at a second girl who was cowering. It all went down within 10-seconds of the officer exiting his vehicle, and five of those seconds were him running towards the altercation and saying, "Hey, what's going on?" He didn't have any time to attempt to deescalate, as some on social media are demanding, and the girl's weapon and actions forced the officer choose a lethal response versus nonlethal.
                      The mystery is why she called police but than as they arrived tried to attack the other girl or girls instead of, say, just telling them she called and why she called.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

That's the story that's making the rounds at the moment. Supposedly some girls showed up to pick a fight with the girl in black, so she (the girl in black) called the police and then grabbed a knife and rushed out the door to confront her assailants. No idea if that's true, but it doesn't really add up. Why not just stay in the house and wait for the police to arrive? And why continue the deadly assault when there are police on the scene? It's hard to say what was going through her head (maybe that's what ox is referring to as a mystery?).
                        Yep.

Comment

That says they haven't identified the caller.

But reading up on this the "facts" are all over the place. I did find one story where it said the victim was the one who called 911. And apparently there were two 911 calls, a second one when the police had just pulled up so they hung up. Also the girl was apparently a foster kid being housed by child protective services and living with her aunt. It's all confusing. I think we have to wait a day or two for all of the conflicting information to resolve.

We know there was a 911 call about someone trying to stab someone else. The cop gets there and stops a girl just before she stabs someone. I don't know what he could have done different that wouldn't have ended up without at least one of the girls being seriously wounded or dead. This wasn't a situation where he had time to do anything other than stop the girl with the knife. I don't think he could have even used a taser in that situation. It would have been too unreliable trying to hit the one girl and actually have it work in time to stop her.

Comment

Yes, they played the audio from the two 911 calls - the first was too hysterical to understand, let alone identify - the second was a much calmer adult who didn't get to say much except, in effect "never mind, the police are here".

But reading up on this the "facts" are all over the place. I did find one story where it said the victim was the one who called 911. And apparently there were two 911 calls, a second one when the police had just pulled up so they hung up. Also the girl was apparently a foster kid being housed by child protective services and living with her aunt. It's all confusing. I think we have to wait a day or two for all of the conflicting information to resolve.
                            Yeah, I said all that.

We know there was a 911 call about someone trying to stab someone else. The cop gets there and stops a girl just before she stabs someone. I don't know what he could have done different that wouldn't have ended up without at least one of the girls being seriously wounded or dead. This wasn't a situation where he had time to do anything other than stop the girl with the knife. I don't think he could have even used a taser in that situation. It would have been too unreliable trying to hit the one girl and actually have it work in time to stop her.
                            All we need to know is that there was nothing in the 911 call (either one) that would cause the officer to question the fact that the person with the deadly weapon in their hand who was actively attacking another human needed to be stopped.

Comment

This is one where those protesting have nothing to justify their protests, unless they'd just prefer that the police don't shoot the person trying to stab them when they call for help. It's all very much out of hand, and the media - all of the media - in general need to recognize they have a responsibility not to inflame the tensions further and on either side

Comment

This is one where those protesting have nothing to justify their protests, unless they'd just prefer that the police don't shoot the person trying to stab them when they call for help. It's all very much out of hand, and the media - all of the media - in general need to recognize they have a responsibility not to inflame the tensions further and on either side
                                A tall order from an MSM with hemorrhaging ratings in the post-Trump era. Egging on civil unrest and riots makes for lucrative clickbait.

Comment