Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Police officer shot and killed a Black teenage girl holding a knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Your narrative doesn't fit the headline!
    Given that today we have someone puttering about the White House who is an advocate for the concept of "truth over facts" we can only expect more and more of this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Your narrative doesn't fit the headline!
      The facts don't always fit the narrative.

Two frames from the bodycam footage. Knife is clearly visible in the first frame. Second frame was right at the moment the officer pulled the trigger.

Ezd2ex0VUAQzjXB.jpg
      Ezd2exyUUAASUrp.jpg
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That knife looks more like a boot knife than what you'd find in the kitchen.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

The facts don't always fit the narrative.

Two frames from the bodycam footage. Knife is clearly visible in the first frame. Second frame was right at the moment the officer pulled the trigger.

Ezd2ex0VUAQzjXB.jpg
          Ezd2exyUUAASUrp.jpg
          I was being sarcastic - perhaps I should have included tags.

And, yes, the person with the knife was portrayed as "a 15 year old teen". Sounds rather innocuous, eh?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The video footage makes it very clear that the officer saved the girl in pink from an assault with a knife (at a minimum) or from being fatally stabbed (worst case). The girl who was shot was about as tall as the officer, had just stabbed / bullrushed another (large) girl to the ground right in front of the officer, and was in the process of ignoring the officer's instructions (Get down!) to attack someone else. Not sure what else the officer could have done. Remember the 911 call was to a stabbing (AFAIK) so the officer arrived expecting the possibility of someone being armed. The girl who was shot saw the officer, probably saw that he had his weapon drawn, and carried on with her attack.

Play stupid games, get stupid prizes.

There should be protests by the community over this - protests against this kind of stupidity and violence that leads to police being called, and against the black on black killings that ravage the community.
            ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

And, yes, the person with the knife was portrayed as "a 15 year old teen". Sounds rather innocuous, eh?
              Who we'll soon be informed that she
              • was a sweet, lovable child who was always smiling, never angry and an utter joy to be around.
              • had a bright and promising future, wanting to go to college after graduating.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Who we'll soon be informed that she
                • was a sweet, lovable child who was always smiling, never angry and an utter joy to be around.
                • had a bright and promising future, wanting to go to college after graduating.
                And it was a mostly peaceful stabbing attempt!

"Ma'Khia had a motherly nature about her. She promoted peace. That is something that I want to always be remembered," Paula Bryant told TV station WBNS.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"Ma'Khia had a motherly nature about her. She promoted peace. That is something that I want to always be remembered," Paula Bryant told TV station WBNS.
                  She died as she lived -- promoting peace in a motherly fashion

Comment

I know you were being sarcastic, but I felt like providing the facts anyway.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It gets even better. All the blue-check twitter liberals were screeching yesterday, including the likes of Ben Crump:

EzeNaD5WEAI6MS_?format=jpg&amp;name=medium.jpg
                      "unarmed" is apparently BLM code for 'has knife, is stabbing'?

Here's what the bastion of journalism the New York Times did when they quoted him

EzeNaD5WYAgIzqx?format=jpg&amp;name=medium.jpg

Notice anything missing?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Columbus, Ohio, shooting: Police officer shot and killed a Black teenage girl holding a knife

The headline is misleading - she wasn't "holding a knife - she was attempting to stab two other girls.

A Columbus, Ohio, police officer shot and killed a Black teenager Tuesday afternoon after she attempted to cut two females with a knife, according to officials and body camera footage shown to the media.

The girl's mother, Paula Bryant, and the Franklin County Children's Services identified her as Ma'Khia Bryant. Although local law enforcement identified her as 15 years old at a news conference Tuesday, the FCCS gave the girl's age as 16.

"Ma'Khia was a foster child, who was under the care of Franklin County Children Services," the FCCS said in a statement. "This was a tragic incident and FCCS is continuing its involvement with the family throughout this difficult time."

Police received a call at 4:32 p.m. indicating "females were there trying to stab them and put their hands on them," Columbus Interim Police Chief Michael Woods said Tuesday night.

When police arrived, the first officer on the scene approaches a group in the driveway of a home, according to that officer's bodycam footage.

The video shows a teen quickly move toward another girl with what appears to be a knife, and the girl falls to the ground. The officer yells, "Hey, hey, hey, hey. Get down!" before she appears to lunge at a second girl with the knife, according to the video.

The officer tells her to "Get Down! Get down! Get down! Get down!" and then fires four shots in the direction of the teenager.

One officer attends to the shooting victim, who police are not identifying. Officers assessed the girl for injuries and summoned a medic, as is protocol, Woods said.

Police did not have any information on whether the two other individuals were injured, Woods said.

The officer will be taken off the street while an investigation by the Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) in the Ohio Attorney General's Office takes place, Woods said. The investigation then goes to the Franklin County Grand Jury and then back to the police department for an internal review, Woods said.

"We know based on this footage, the officer took action to protect another young girl in our community," Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther said at the news conference. "But a family is grieving tonight and this young 15-year-old girl will never be coming home."

The shooting comes the same day former Minneapolis officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty in the murder of George Floyd.

CNN's narrative, of course, is that the SAME DAY that the jury reached a verdict in the George Floyd case - another SIMILAR situation took place.

It is OBVIOUSLY not similar ---
                        • the police were called to the scene because girls were being attacked by another girl with a knife
                        • the police were not arresting or interacting with the assailant themselves, but on behalf of another, presumably black, person (or two)
                        • the police were actively attempting to protect the lives of the other two girls
                        • the assailant is identified in the media as 15 years old, when she is actually 16 -- probably an attempt to maximize the sympathy factor

I, too, promote peace by stabbing black teenage girls ......... oh wait.

Comment

and of course people are protesting the shooting already.

They need that girl in pink to say that the police officer saved her life. Which he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            and of course people are protesting the shooting already.

They need that girl in pink to say that the police officer saved her life. Which he did.
                            I can only imagine what she'd face if she did.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I, too, promote peace by stabbing black teenage girls ......... oh wait.
                              I'm gonna promote peace by whoppin you on your head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

I know you were being sarcastic, but I felt like providing the facts anyway.

Comment