Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

And Now we have BLACKFISHING?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Now we have BLACKFISHING?

My granddaughter came to me a while ago quite upset because a friend of hers had been visiting a tanning salon, and she is now being cyberbullied on social media for "blackfishing".

I didn't even know that was a thing, but, apparently, it's yet another idiocy of our society!

What Is Blackfishing and Why Would Anyone Do It?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

People have been going to tanning salons for ages, and has nothing to do with "blackfishing" (which sounds like ... ummm.. there's a different term we used as kids that might not be allowed here).

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
      People have been going to tanning salons for ages, and has nothing to do with "blackfishing" (which sounds like ... ummm.. there's a different term we used as kids that might not be allowed here).
      I think these things get started on social media, kids get ahold of them, and Katy bar the door!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Hey, if it keeps kids out of those cancer beds, I'm all for it.

Not really, it's stupid.

But don't use tanning beds!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Hey, if it keeps kids out of those cancer beds, I'm all for it.

Not really, it's stupid.

But don't use tanning beds!

And wear a broad brimmed hat if you're a farmer or rancher. I just had some skin patches removed from my face - you know - old people stuff. We'll find out in about a week whether they were cancerous. But I always wear my cowboy hat when working outside these days.

Comment

I really think that these kids and young adults are trying to virtue signal by trying to find some "cause" to belong to and promote. Most of the "good ones" are already taken and old hat so they keep trying to come up with new causes so they get more social status as a social justice warrior. "Look at me! I found a new form of racism!"

That is why we keep seeing more and more ridiculous things when it comes to calling things "racist" - eating tacos? Racist! milk? Racist! Peanut butter and jelly? Racist! Tanning? Racist!

Comment

My Dad used to call me "Beaner" when I was a kid -- apparently, I had one of those beenie caps with the propeller on top.

The other day, I called my Granddaughter "Beaner", and she about had a cow! She said, "Papa -- that's RACIST!!!!!"

Apparently, people use that name to refer to Mexicans. Who knew??!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

And wear a broad brimmed hat if you're a farmer or rancher. I just had some skin patches removed from my face - you know - old people stuff. We'll find out in about a week whether they were cancerous. But I always wear my cowboy hat when working outside these days.
                I had some pre-cancerous lesions on my nose about 10 years ago. Am very fair and burn badly. And we didn't know anything about skin cancer when I was a kid and were out in the sun for hours.

Now I wear sunscreen all year and a hat if I'm outside longer than 5 minutes.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I had some pre-cancerous lesions on my nose about 10 years ago. Am very fair and burn badly. And we didn't know anything about skin cancer when I was a kid and were out in the sun for hours.

Now I wear sunscreen all year and a hat if I'm outside longer than 5 minutes.
                  Yeah, I used to burn beet-red at the beginning of the summer, then have a farmer's tan all summer. Fortunately, I was never one to run around without a shirt on - my Dad had done that, and his back was a poster board for skin cancer.

And, when I was a kid, I noticed that all the young Mexican boys wore long sleeve shirts, so I adopted that 'fashion'.

Comment

Yeah, I used to burn beet-red at the beginning of the summer, then have a farmer's tan all summer. Fortunately, I was never one to run around without a shirt on - my Dad had done that, and his back was a poster board for skin cancer.

And, when I was a kid, I noticed that all the young Mexican boys wore long sleeve shirts, so I adopted that 'fashion'.
                    I always tanned easily. I sometimes get a burn at first but I only had a really bad one once when I was a kid and stayed out too long and got fried.

Nowadays I usually only get a farmer's tan, forearms and face.

Comment

I think these things get started on social media, kids get ahold of them, and Katy bar the door!
                      Kids get ahold of them, and misunderstand them.

Some people get offended when whites try to pretend that they have some black ancestry, usually for professional or social gain, and it's called blackfishing. I don't know that it's such a terrible thing, but it bothers some.

But getting a tan, while not particularly healthy, is not, in and of itself, blackfishing. The kids may not realize it, but there's a difference between pretending you're black, and pretending you've been spending time in the sun.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Kids get ahold of them, and misunderstand them.

Some people get offended when whites try to pretend that they have some black ancestry, usually for professional or social gain, and it's called blackfishing. I don't know that it's such a terrible thing, but it bothers some.

But getting a tan, while not particularly healthy, is not, in and of itself, blackfishing. The kids may not realize it, but there's a difference between pretending you're black, and pretending you've been spending time in the sun.
                        If you do a google search on "tanning is racist" you will find several articles written by adults claiming tanning is "racial tourism" and "racist" and "Spray tanning perpetuates racism, white hypocrisy"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          If you do a google search on "tanning is racist" you will find several articles written by adults claiming tanning is "racial tourism" and "racist" and "Spray tanning perpetuates racism, white hypocrisy"
                          Okay, some adults are also dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Okay, some adults are also dumb.
                            Lots of them are dumb.

But like I said above, it's almost like a contest to see who can come up with the "next" thing that is racist. So much so that they go to more and more ridiculous lengths to find it.

I think it starts in schools where teachers try to teach kids that activism is good and American. It's a civic duty to protest things that are unjust. So kids grow up thinking they have to find things to protest in order to "matter" and be good citizens. And they want to impress their friends too. So they actively seek out things to protest, even if they have to make stuff up. There is unjustice under every rock if you look hard enough. And they do. Protesting becomes a goal in itself:Protesting=Moral/Good/Brave. What they are protesting just becomes the means to that goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Lots of them are dumb.

But like I said above, it's almost like a contest to see who can come up with the "next" thing that is racist. So much so that they go to more and more ridiculous lengths to find it.

I think it starts in schools where teachers try to teach kids that activism is good and American. It's a civic duty to protest things that are unjust. So kids grow up thinking they have to find things to protest in order to "matter" and be good citizens. And they want to impress their friends too. So they actively seek out things to protest, even if they have to make stuff up. There is unjustice under every rock if you look hard enough. And they do. Protesting becomes a goal in itself:Protesting=Moral/Good/Brave. What they are protesting just becomes the means to that goal.
                              And, hopefully, this will fuel the move to School Choice and/or homeschooling.

Comment