Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

‘Consensual incest’ should be decriminalized, advocates say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Sparko;n1257914]

And many inbred animal breeds end up having some really bad genetic defects and diseases.[/quoted]As I have previously noted with my reference to hairless cats and the British bulldog.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

It's not that it's 'only fair', it's that the government has no business telling anyone that they cannot enter into a consenting relationship with another consenting adult or multiple consenting adults. And also that there aren't any real valid arguments against it that don't devolve down to special pleading or 'icky stuff should be banned'.
      There is a legitimate concern for relationships between multiple consenting adults (polygamy). Typically the boys produced by such unions are abandoned in some city when they reach a certain age. It's what happens when there just aren't enough women for all the men because some have four or five wives.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

And many inbred animal breeds end up having some really bad genetic defects and diseases.

The chances for genetic defects increases greatly with incest.
        Only really if you're
        talking multiple generations of incest. otherwise you're talking something with far less of a chance of passing on bad genetic defect and diseases, then when we allow black people or Ashkenazi Jews to marry and procreate. Also, that is not an issue with homosexual people who are in an incestuous relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          There is a legitimate concern for relationships between multiple consenting adults (polygamy). Typically the boys produced by such unions are abandoned in some city when they reach a certain age. It's what happens when there just aren't enough women for all the men because some have four or five wives.
          You're talking a cult compound. The majority of polyamory is not in some randomdesert cult, it occurs all over the country with normal people who work every day 9-5 jobs and live in regular towns and cities. You're appealing to an extreme example and tarring everyone else with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, I just think it smells great, and I have often referred to my wife as "the cilantro on my taco". I guess, to some, that would be quite degrading.
            Lol given my dislike of it a comment like that would have me on the couch for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

You're talking a cult compound. The majority of polyamory is not in some randomdesert cult, it occurs all over the country with normal people who work every day 9-5 jobs and live in regular towns and cities. You're appealing to an extreme example and tarring everyone else with it.
              If you're keeping it one or two families in a fairly large community, but it seems you don't find the folks who live like that live there. And not off in "random deserts." The husband will often be fairly well off and buy land adjacent to a small or mid-sized town, or even a farm. The same if it is a community of them (typically "unorthodox" Mormon followers). And while they usually have plenty of money it is also not uncommon for the younger wives to collect welfare, food stamps, Medicaid etc. by claiming to be single mothers.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There is a legitimate concern for relationships between multiple consenting adults (polygamy).
                Strictly that is many marriages. πολυγαμία/polygamy.

Polyandry is an interesting cultural phenomenon where the woman gets to have more than one man. How do some men here feel about that?

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                  As I have previously noted with my reference to hairless cats and the British bulldog.
                  And things like hip dysplasia, tendency to get cancers, kidney diseases, hypermania and other personality problems, and so on in many breeds. Inbreeding is not that great and in humans it can bring out recessive traits that can be pretty bad, including mental retardation, downs syndrome, cleft pallets, heart problems, physical deformities.

Incest is one of those taboos that has a very good basis in real life. It wasn't just a superstition.

Comment

And things like hip dysplasia, tendency to get cancers, kidney diseases, hypermania and other personality problems, and so on in many breeds. Inbreeding is not that great and in humans it can bring out recessive traits that can be pretty bad, including mental retardation, downs syndrome, cleft pallets, heart problems, physical deformities.

Incest is one of those taboos that has a very good basis in real life. It wasn't just a superstition.
                    Look at the Hapsburgs with the inbreeding that resulted in mental illness and the unfortunate "Hapsburg Jaw."

Comment

Look at the Hapsburgs with the inbreeding that resulted in mental illness and the unfortunate "Hapsburg Jaw."
                      I have attended Amish auctions raising money for their own victims of inbreeding.

Genetic Disorders Hit Amish Hard

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If you're keeping it one or two families in a fairly large community, but it seems you don't find the folks who live like that live there
                        Huh?

. And not off in "random deserts."
                        Yeah, they tend to be in Idaho and Utah deserts.

The husband will often be fairly well off and buy land adjacent to a small or mid-sized town, or even a farm. The same if it is a community of them (typically "unorthodox" Mormon followers). And while they usually have plenty of money it is also not uncommon for the younger wives to collect welfare, food stamps, Medicaid etc. by claiming to be single mothers.
                        I'm unsure what some extreme examples have to do with the countless normal people who practice polyamory. I'm almost willing to bet you yourself probably have at least one polyamorous person amongst your friend group (whether they tell you about it is another story).

Comment

I agree. Some veterinary surgeons consider such deliberate inbreeding of unhealthy traits [particularly in breeds such as the bulldog] to be tantamount to animal cruelty.

It is a few years old now [2013] but it is an interesting article. https://www.newscientist.com/article...man-evolution/
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment