Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

‘Consensual incest’ should be decriminalized, advocates say

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

It is ironic that most people find incest [often citing the risks of genetic defects] among humans taboo but I suspect would not be overly bothered to learn that the meat and milk products they consume or the wool products they wear are often provided by animals bred to provide leaner meat, higher milk yields, or better quality fleeces. I also suspect many such persons are not averse to owning pedigree pets.

The hairless cat and the British bulldog are examples of inbreeding that have produced animals that would be extremely unlikely to survive in the wild.
    Yep, the entirety of the animal agriculture industry is based on interbreeding the desired genetics (abnormally large chest muscles/breasts for chickens to satisfy American's hunger for white meat to the point that many chickens now cannot even stand up under their own weight when they near the time the companies then murder them, absurdly and harmfully productive egg yields to satiate the demand for eggs, are two I would add).

It's certainly very interesting to see the disconnect, but then I guess the incest in question in the OP happens in humans and double standards and anthropocentrism abound in us.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

It's interesting. The soap/cilantro thing is actually a genetic thing.
      Yep. My wife loves it. My son took after her, my daughters all got my cilantro genetics, so Taco Tuesdays are always an interesting affair at our house .

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Yep. My wife loves it. My son took after her, my daughters all got my cilantro genetics, so Taco Tuesdays are always an interesting affair at our house .
        In my house, I'm the only one who likes beans. :)

Might I suggest
        https://www.amazon.sg/Rotating-Appet.../dp/B07K7SHDF7

Comment

It's interesting. The soap/cilantro thing is actually a genetic thing.

Apparently the Romans compared the smell of cilantro/coriander to that of bed bugs!
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

In my house, I'm the only one who likes beans. :)

Might I suggest
            https://www.amazon.sg/Rotating-Appet.../dp/B07K7SHDF7
            Your family does not know what they are missing.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Your family does not know what they are missing.
              That is one thing we can agree on.

Comment

You might find the recent situation in France interesting. https://www.dw.com/en/french-incest-...ate/a-56306263.

The closeness of the blood relationship is also a factor. Are those who have have expressed the "Urghh" response opposed to second or third cousins having a sexual relationship? Or is the concept of mother/son, father/daughter, or sister/brother incest the taboo most find so upsetting?

The irony is we interbreed animals for better traits.

Historically it is probable that many people did "interbreed" to some extent. If we consider the issues surrounding transport it is quite likely that in small villages or remote settlements the population would [in many instances] have been breeding individuals with whom they shared a blood line.

In some royal houses the belief of keeping the blood "pure" also led to a degree of inbreeding and while Carlos II of Spain is generally the "poster boy" to demonstrate the dangers of too much inbreeding, it should be noted that the Hapsburgs [along with other royal dynasties] also produced many intelligent and competent individuals from unions with their blood relatives.

And as has been noted [somewhere] go back far enough and we are all related.

Yes we have interbred animals for better traits, or to produce models of human disease.

What often happens is that after multiple generations, the line dies out due to the accumulation of negative recessive traits. Sometimes this happens after a few generations, and sometimes after quite a number.

And note that genetic testing of fetuses only covers a fraction of genetic abnormalities.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Deceptive soap flavored leafy greens, they should burn in a pit.
                  My youngest daughter is a clean freak - she hates cilantro because "it smells like soap". The rest of us love cilantro.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

My youngest daughter is a clean freak - she hates cilantro because "it smells like soap". The rest of us love cilantro.
                    I love the smell of a bunch of freshly cut cilantro soaking in the sink. Nothing soapy about it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If your political philosophy leads you to conclude that it's "only fair" to allow incest, you're overthinking it.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                        If your political philosophy leads you to conclude that it's "only fair" to allow incest, you're overthinking it.
                        It's not that it's 'only fair', it's that the government has no business telling anyone that they cannot enter into a consenting relationship with another consenting adult or multiple consenting adults. And also that there aren't any real valid arguments against it that don't devolve down to special pleading or 'icky stuff should be banned'.

Comment

Apparently the Romans compared the smell of cilantro/coriander to that of bed bugs!
                          Since I'm from PA, which is sort of Ground Zero for Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs, I wonder if there's some relationship between those insect lines. Stink bugs "stink" because of defensive use of the chemical that gives cilantro its flavor and odor; some people use them in cooking.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

You might find the recent situation in France interesting. https://www.dw.com/en/french-incest-...ate/a-56306263.

The closeness of the blood relationship is also a factor. Are those who have have expressed the "Urghh" response opposed to second or third cousins having a sexual relationship? Or is the concept of mother/son, father/daughter, or sister/brother incest the taboo most find so upsetting?

The irony is we interbreed animals for better traits.

Historically it is probable that many people did "interbreed" to some extent. If we consider the issues surrounding transport it is quite likely that in small villages or remote settlements the population would [in many instances] have been breeding individuals with whom they shared a blood line.

In some royal houses the belief of keeping the blood "pure" also led to a degree of inbreeding and while Carlos II of Spain is generally the "poster boy" to demonstrate the dangers of too much inbreeding, it should be noted that the Hapsburgs [along with other royal dynasties] also produced many intelligent and competent individuals from unions with their blood relatives.

And as has been noted [somewhere] go back far enough and we are all related.

And many inbred animal breeds end up having some really bad genetic defects and diseases.

The chances for genetic defects increases greatly with incest. Not to mention the psychological stress put on the child of such a twisted and sick relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Cilantro stinks to me. It has a slightly soapy taste but the smell to me is just awful, I don't know how to describe it. I can take cilantro if it is thoroughly mixed into something like salsa so that the smell and taste is covered, but otherwise, phew!

I hear it is genetic. some gene determines whether cilantro smells and tastes good or bad to a person.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                I love the smell of a bunch of freshly cut cilantro soaking in the sink. Nothing soapy about it.
                                Yeah, I just think it smells great, and I have often referred to my wife as "the cilantro on my taco". I guess, to some, that would be quite degrading.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment