Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The USA and "Anglo-Saxon traditions".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Umm, yeah, no. Yeah, better than "Mexican" food sold in Canada. Yeah, put together by authentic Mexicans. No, not authentic Mexican food.

Speaking from my young man's experience prior to the onset of the "drug war" as an inveterate border hopper living in the desert southwest near the Mexican border, Mexican food in the southern US bears the same resemblance to authentic Mexican food as gourmet does to the peasant dishes from which it derives. Same basic architecture but substituting more expensive, higher quality ingredients and add-ons that aren't available to the rural Mexicans living in Mexico who created the dishes. Sure, the closer they are to the border, the more likely they are to use authentic ingredients, one reason why their Canadian doppelgangers come in distinctive shades of Mary Shelley.
    FWIU, Mexican food along the border adapted to the gringo tourist expectations back in the mid 20th cent., and what had been somewhat bland before got spiced up a bit.

I've been along the border, in Mexico City, the Yucatan and even Oaxacan (out in the arid sticks), and the food, as you would expect, was different in each place. This was all during the late 70s and early 80s mind you (although the first time in Mexico City was in the mid 60s as a young'un).

Here in HOTlanta I can go into little hole in the wall Mexican cafes to larger Mexican restaurants and I swear that it doesn't matter where I get it from I can't taste any difference between them. Good thing I love it.

I always get a enchilada, burrito, and taco with a margarita (some times two). My current favorite is a larger restaurant at the end of a strip center owned and operated by a family (four generations), which while it tastes the same are larger portions for the same price. Plus they have cheap margaritas (price not quality).

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by Ronson View Post
    No copy of the document, just people saying what's allegedly contained in it? Typical MSM.

1-to-10 scale: Confidence level is 2
    I can't find a copy of the actual document either, which is troubling, but it's extensively quoted by a healthy variety of news sites. Given the broad harvest of quotes, it'd be difficult to dismiss it as cherry picking.

What happened to the days when reporters actually quoted from the source, identified sources, and reprints of actual evidence? I suspect those reporters were killed off by Russian bounties.
    All of the stories I've seen, including the AP story in the o/p, quote from the source.

I haven't checked this list recently. When I last checked it, she was mostly correct on false MSM stories. Quite a list, too.

https://sharylattkisson.com/2021/04/...finitive-list/
    Including this one, ironically enough, which a quick sampling shows is mostly gleaned from published corrections, and includes no independent fact-checking by the author. The bias here is toward google journalism and alternative sources that are less wedded to correcting the record when they get it wrong. I'd argue that neither of those is a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• Juvenal
    replied
    Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

One of the things I like about Southern California is the availability of what I assume is authentic Mexican food. Much better than the Mexican food sold here in Canada.
    Umm, yeah, no. Yeah, better than "Mexican" food sold in Canada. Yeah, put together by authentic Mexicans. No, not authentic Mexican food.

Speaking from my young man's experience prior to the onset of the "drug war" as an inveterate border hopper living in the desert southwest near the Mexican border, Mexican food in the southern US bears the same resemblance to authentic Mexican food as gourmet does to the peasant dishes from which it derives. Same basic architecture but substituting more expensive, higher quality ingredients and add-ons that aren't available to the rural Mexicans living in Mexico who created the dishes. Sure, the closer they are to the border, the more likely they are to use authentic ingredients, one reason why their Canadian doppelgangers come in distinctive shades of Mary Shelley.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I'll have to take a look to see if this is all new or a continuation.
    I'm pretty sure it is a continuation. She just adds to it and updates.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by kccd View Post

Are you aware that after large numbers of German immigrants came to the USA, that many midwestern cities had major newspapers in German and public schools that taught only in German?

Most immigrant groups tend to congregate initially in specific communities when they first arrive, but eventually assimilate.

The Germans did that, the Irish did that, and so did the immigrants that included my grandparents.

It takes 2-4 generations for that to happen, but it does.
    We're pretty much an amalgamation of literally dozens of culture's and traditions but "Anglo-Saxon" is pretty much at the roots followed by other European ones like German...
    I called particular attention to Germans for a reason

Btw, I'm a quarter German.

I'm also half Scandinavian -- a quarter Swedish and a quarter Norwegian.

The remaining quarter is what is simply termed "British" with the largest percent being English but with Scot, Welsh, Irish and Dutch (goes back to William and Mary and the Glorious or Bloodless Revolution).

I'm an admixture of various northwestern European groups. I refer to it as having a "euro-mutt" ancestry.

Leave a comment:

• kccd
    replied
    We're pretty much an amalgamation of literally dozens of culture's and traditions but "Anglo-Saxon" is pretty much at the roots followed by other European ones like German. But as our language shows, we'll pretty much adopt and adapt anything we like. Kinda like what Hinduism is to religion we are to culture

One major change that has taken place in recent decades is we once prided ourselves on being a "melting pot" where everything goes in but what comes out is "American." Unfortunately, this is considerably less so these days. Many immigrants (especially those not interested in coming here legally) are not at all interested in assimilating. They are aided by some on the left who in some cases even encourage them to remain separate and even don't learn English[1]. These folks will even tell you that they don't want a "melting pot" but a salad with distinct, separate groups. Essentially, balkanization and all the things that come with it.

1. This was clearly demonstrated a few years back in California when there was a move to help integrate immigrant children into society by teaching them English. Some on the left went apoplectic in response.
    Are you aware that after large numbers of German immigrants came to the USA, that many midwestern cities had major newspapers in German and public schools that taught only in German?

Most immigrant groups tend to congregate initially in specific communities when they first arrive, but eventually assimilate.

The Germans did that, the Irish did that, and so did the immigrants that included my grandparents.

It takes 2-4 generations for that to happen, but it does.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

What happened to the days when reporters actually quoted from the source, identified sources, and reprints of actual evidence? I suspect those reporters were killed off by Russian bounties.

I haven't checked this list recently. When I last checked it, she was mostly correct on false MSM stories. Quite a list, too.

She published a list a couple years back of bogus stories published by the MSM about Trump going back to his first day in office when they began "reporting" that OMB had the bust of MLK Jr. removed from the Oval Office.

I'll have to take a look to see if this is all new or a continuation.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    B-but, but "sources say"

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Aren't Normans Norse? I mean given that they're descended from Viking raiders who colonized the area.
    Yes - north Germanic peoples which includes what we now call the Scandinavians. Hence Normans [north men].

They didn't colonise that part of what is now France. It was given to them in return for fealty. They then adopted the local language Gallo-Romance language.
    Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 04-17-2021, 11:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    The "F" word's origin remains obscure. Nor was there ever an Anglo-Saxon language. There was Old English. Nor was there an Anglo-Saxon society pre the Normans [who were also the descendants of a north Germanic people]. William was also related to Edward [aka the Confessor]

And Chinese.

As did the Chinese.
    Aren't Normans Norse? I mean given that they're descended from Viking raiders who colonized the area.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    It was a question I'd ask my teachers way back whenever we studied English history and not a one ever had an answer.
    They should have directed you to Bede.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    When people use profanity, they use Anglo-Saxon, not Norman, terms.
    The "F" word's origin remains obscure. Nor was there ever an Anglo-Saxon language. There was Old English. Nor was there an Anglo-Saxon society pre the Normans [who were also the descendants of a north Germanic people]. William was also related to Edward [aka the Confessor]

Despite successful assimilation, there are plenty of excellent Irish, German, Italian, French, etc. restaurants around
    And Chinese.

- and the Irish, in particular, experienced significant discrimination.
    As did the Chinese.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

According to Bede they settled in the south of England around Hampshire and Kent. It seems the name died out.
    It was a question I'd ask my teachers way back whenever we studied English history and not a one ever had an answer.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

and the Irish, in particular, experienced significant discrimination.
    I'll never forget that PBS series (IIRC The Irish in America) where they noted that when they wanted to build a canal near Washington D.C., slaveowners would not allow their slaves to be used because the work was too risky and dangerous. So it was agreed upon to hire Irish workers because nobody cared what happened to them.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Simple question. Why do the Jutes always get left out of the conquest of Britain after the Romans left? They were involved just as much as the Angles or Saxons.
    According to Bede they settled in the south of England around Hampshire and Kent. It seems the name died out.

Leave a comment: