Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The USA and "Anglo-Saxon traditions".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    It was a question I'd ask my teachers way back whenever we studied English history and not a one ever had an answer.
    They should have directed you to Bede.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      The "F" word's origin remains obscure. Nor was there ever an Anglo-Saxon language. There was Old English. Nor was there an Anglo-Saxon society pre the Normans [who were also the descendants of a north Germanic people]. William was also related to Edward [aka the Confessor]

And Chinese.

As did the Chinese.
      Aren't Normans Norse? I mean given that they're descended from Viking raiders who colonized the area.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Aren't Normans Norse? I mean given that they're descended from Viking raiders who colonized the area.
        Yes - north Germanic peoples which includes what we now call the Scandinavians. Hence Normans [north men].

They didn't colonise that part of what is now France. It was given to them in return for fealty. They then adopted the local language Gallo-Romance language.
        Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 04-17-2021, 11:40 AM.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

B-but, but "sources say"
          What happened to the days when reporters actually quoted from the source, identified sources, and reprints of actual evidence? I suspect those reporters were killed off by Russian bounties.

I haven't checked this list recently. When I last checked it, she was mostly correct on false MSM stories. Quite a list, too.

https://sharylattkisson.com/2021/04/...finitive-list/

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post

What happened to the days when reporters actually quoted from the source, identified sources, and reprints of actual evidence? I suspect those reporters were killed off by Russian bounties.

I haven't checked this list recently. When I last checked it, she was mostly correct on false MSM stories. Quite a list, too.

She published a list a couple years back of bogus stories published by the MSM about Trump going back to his first day in office when they began "reporting" that OMB had the bust of MLK Jr. removed from the Oval Office.

I'll have to take a look to see if this is all new or a continuation.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We're pretty much an amalgamation of literally dozens of culture's and traditions but "Anglo-Saxon" is pretty much at the roots followed by other European ones like German. But as our language shows, we'll pretty much adopt and adapt anything we like. Kinda like what Hinduism is to religion we are to culture

One major change that has taken place in recent decades is we once prided ourselves on being a "melting pot" where everything goes in but what comes out is "American." Unfortunately, this is considerably less so these days. Many immigrants (especially those not interested in coming here legally) are not at all interested in assimilating. They are aided by some on the left who in some cases even encourage them to remain separate and even don't learn English[1]. These folks will even tell you that they don't want a "melting pot" but a salad with distinct, separate groups. Essentially, balkanization and all the things that come with it.

1. This was clearly demonstrated a few years back in California when there was a move to help integrate immigrant children into society by teaching them English. Some on the left went apoplectic in response.
              Are you aware that after large numbers of German immigrants came to the USA, that many midwestern cities had major newspapers in German and public schools that taught only in German?

Most immigrant groups tend to congregate initially in specific communities when they first arrive, but eventually assimilate.

The Germans did that, the Irish did that, and so did the immigrants that included my grandparents.

It takes 2-4 generations for that to happen, but it does.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

Are you aware that after large numbers of German immigrants came to the USA, that many midwestern cities had major newspapers in German and public schools that taught only in German?

Most immigrant groups tend to congregate initially in specific communities when they first arrive, but eventually assimilate.

The Germans did that, the Irish did that, and so did the immigrants that included my grandparents.

It takes 2-4 generations for that to happen, but it does.
                We're pretty much an amalgamation of literally dozens of culture's and traditions but "Anglo-Saxon" is pretty much at the roots followed by other European ones like German...
                I called particular attention to Germans for a reason

Btw, I'm a quarter German.

I'm also half Scandinavian -- a quarter Swedish and a quarter Norwegian.

The remaining quarter is what is simply termed "British" with the largest percent being English but with Scot, Welsh, Irish and Dutch (goes back to William and Mary and the Glorious or Bloodless Revolution).

I'm an admixture of various northwestern European groups. I refer to it as having a "euro-mutt" ancestry.

Comment

I'll have to take a look to see if this is all new or a continuation.
                  I'm pretty sure it is a continuation. She just adds to it and updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

One of the things I like about Southern California is the availability of what I assume is authentic Mexican food. Much better than the Mexican food sold here in Canada.
                    Umm, yeah, no. Yeah, better than "Mexican" food sold in Canada. Yeah, put together by authentic Mexicans. No, not authentic Mexican food.

Speaking from my young man's experience prior to the onset of the "drug war" as an inveterate border hopper living in the desert southwest near the Mexican border, Mexican food in the southern US bears the same resemblance to authentic Mexican food as gourmet does to the peasant dishes from which it derives. Same basic architecture but substituting more expensive, higher quality ingredients and add-ons that aren't available to the rural Mexicans living in Mexico who created the dishes. Sure, the closer they are to the border, the more likely they are to use authentic ingredients, one reason why their Canadian doppelgangers come in distinctive shades of Mary Shelley.

Comment

No copy of the document, just people saying what's allegedly contained in it? Typical MSM.

1-to-10 scale: Confidence level is 2
                      I can't find a copy of the actual document either, which is troubling, but it's extensively quoted by a healthy variety of news sites. Given the broad harvest of quotes, it'd be difficult to dismiss it as cherry picking.

All of the stories I've seen, including the AP story in the o/p, quote from the source.

Including this one, ironically enough, which a quick sampling shows is mostly gleaned from published corrections, and includes no independent fact-checking by the author. The bias here is toward google journalism and alternative sources that are less wedded to correcting the record when they get it wrong. I'd argue that neither of those is a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Umm, yeah, no. Yeah, better than "Mexican" food sold in Canada. Yeah, put together by authentic Mexicans. No, not authentic Mexican food.

Speaking from my young man's experience prior to the onset of the "drug war" as an inveterate border hopper living in the desert southwest near the Mexican border, Mexican food in the southern US bears the same resemblance to authentic Mexican food as gourmet does to the peasant dishes from which it derives. Same basic architecture but substituting more expensive, higher quality ingredients and add-ons that aren't available to the rural Mexicans living in Mexico who created the dishes. Sure, the closer they are to the border, the more likely they are to use authentic ingredients, one reason why their Canadian doppelgangers come in distinctive shades of Mary Shelley.
                        FWIU, Mexican food along the border adapted to the gringo tourist expectations back in the mid 20th cent., and what had been somewhat bland before got spiced up a bit.

I've been along the border, in Mexico City, the Yucatan and even Oaxacan (out in the arid sticks), and the food, as you would expect, was different in each place. This was all during the late 70s and early 80s mind you (although the first time in Mexico City was in the mid 60s as a young'un).

Here in HOTlanta I can go into little hole in the wall Mexican cafes to larger Mexican restaurants and I swear that it doesn't matter where I get it from I can't taste any difference between them. Good thing I love it.

I always get a enchilada, burrito, and taco with a margarita (some times two). My current favorite is a larger restaurant at the end of a strip center owned and operated by a family (four generations), which while it tastes the same are larger portions for the same price. Plus they have cheap margaritas (price not quality).

Comment

FWIU, Mexican food along the border adapted to the gringo tourist expectations back in the mid 20th cent., and what had been somewhat bland before got spiced up a bit.

I've been along the border, in Mexico City, the Yucatan and even Oaxacan (out in the arid sticks), and the food, as you would expect, was different in each place. This was all during the late 70s and early 80s mind you (although the first time in Mexico City was in the mid 60s as a young'un).

Here in HOTlanta I can go into little hole in the wall Mexican cafes to larger Mexican restaurants and I swear that it doesn't matter where I get it from I can't taste any difference between them. Good thing I love it.

I always get a enchilada, burrito, and taco with a margarita (some times two). My current favorite is a larger restaurant at the end of a strip center owned and operated by a family (four generations), which while it tastes the same are larger portions for the same price. Plus they have cheap margaritas (price not quality).
                          I've been to Mexico a few times but I can't recall what I ate there, or compared it to what I've had in SW US. There's a family that moved to Orange, California and opened a restaurant called Pepito's that I almost lived at for 20 years. The family was from the southern reaches of Mexico and served black beans with everything. Best darn veggie burritos.

Comment

I can't find a copy of the actual document either, which is troubling, but it's extensively quoted by a healthy variety of news sites. Given the broad harvest of quotes, it'd be difficult to dismiss it as cherry picking.

All of the stories I've seen, including the AP story in the o/p, quote from the source.
                            Without access to the source, that can't be verified.

Including this one, ironically enough, which a quick sampling shows is mostly gleaned from published corrections, and includes no independent fact-checking by the author. The bias here is toward google journalism and alternative sources that are less wedded to correcting the record when they get it wrong. I'd argue that neither of those is a good thing.
                            "Google journalism" or not, such lists are helpful to keep the MSM in check. Heck, we have already verified this week that the Russian-bounty story was a hype job from the NYT.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                              Can you not read?
                              Ah. Just an academic with which you happen to agree, then.
                              Engla land, the land of the Angles. Hence today there is a region of south east England still known as East Anglia.
                              Well, yes. I appreciate that you agree with me.
                              I suspect most reasonable individuals would take the informed opinion of an academic based at a university in the north of England over the remarks of a pseudonymous contributor to an insignificant Christian discussion board on the internet.

But perhaps I am just biased.
                              I expect reasonable individuals to examine the evidence for themselves and come to their own conclusions. Given the state of the profession today, being an academic merely means one is better able to select evidence to fit one's views, no matter how skewed.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

My wife is half Mexican, so I do get the real deal.
                                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                                sigpic
                                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment