Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The USA and "Anglo-Saxon traditions".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun while it lasted.

Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) is abandoning her plan to launch a right-wing congressional group dubbed the America First Caucus after the publication of a seven page platform vowing to protect “Anglo-Saxon political traditions” by congressional newsletter Punchbowl News, her spokesperson told Forbes...Members of Congress in both parties interpreted the platform’s references to “Anglo-Saxon political traditions” and “the progeny of European architecture” as coded white supremacist language. “The Republican Party is the party of Lincoln & the party of more opportunity for all Americans—not nativist dog whistles,” tweeted McCarthy.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrews...h=7110ce904198
    "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
    "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

I can't find a copy of the actual document either, which is troubling, but it's extensively quoted by a healthy variety of news sites. Given the broad harvest of quotes, it'd be difficult to dismiss it as cherry picking.
      Now published.

https://punchbowl.news/wp-content/up...rm-FINAL-2.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        My wife is half Mexican, so I do get the real deal.
        Was she raised in Mexico? Is that where she learned to cook? And even with the skills, you need authentic ingredients. Where there are large immigrant communities, the local grocery stores will stock brands imported from Mexico, so they can keep the taste the same, but there has to be a big enough community to make it worth handing over the shelf space. Mexican-branded rice and beans and spices and whatnot are more expensive. Non-Mexicans won't pay the premium and grocery stores prioritize shelf space based on dollars per square inch per day. Outside the top five Hispanic markets, LA, New York, Chicago, Miami and El Paso, it doesn't really make business sense.

But outside of Mexico itself, you can't get anything better than an approximation. The real deal is when a middle-aged mamacita hears you trying out your broken Spanish in the town bodega and claims you as her son and insists that you come home with her so she can make you tortillas while gossiping how her daughter's tortillas are made thin but she's been making them thick her whole life and you're stopping her to say it slower and repeat a bit and ...

It's hard thinking about those times, remembering when my biggest worry was getting stopped by federales but you could avoid them by staying off the main highways. I wouldn't dare do those trips today.

Comment

Ah. Just an academic with which ...
          *whom

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Was she raised in Mexico? Is that where she learned to cook? And even with the skills, you need authentic ingredients. Where there are large immigrant communities, the local grocery stores will stock brands imported from Mexico, so they can keep the taste the same, but there has to be a big enough community to make it worth handing over the shelf space. Mexican-branded rice and beans and spices and whatnot are more expensive. Non-Mexicans won't pay the premium and grocery stores prioritize shelf space based on dollars per square inch per day. Outside the top five Hispanic markets, LA, New York, Chicago, Miami and El Paso, it doesn't really make business sense.

But outside of Mexico itself, you can't get anything better than an approximation. The real deal is when a middle-aged mamacita hears you trying out your broken Spanish in the town bodega and claims you as her son and insists that you come home with her so she can make you tortillas while gossiping how her daughter's tortillas are made thin but she's been making them thick her whole life and you're stopping her to say it slower and repeat a bit and ...

It's hard thinking about those times, remembering when my biggest worry was getting stopped by federales but you could avoid them by staying off the main highways. I wouldn't dare do those trips today.
            Just like you don't expect to get authentic Asian foods at your big chain grocery stores you shouldn't expect to get authentic Mexican food or ingredients there. Typically there are small specialized food markets in areas where there are a lot of that particular minority living. The place I used to get my Philippine banana ketchup from had a name that I'm sure means something totally different looks too vulgar to post here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

from the article...

The group calls for limiting legal immigration “to those that can contribute not only economically, but have demonstrated respect for this nation’s culture and rule of law.” It voices support for infrastructure “that reflects the architectural, engineering and aesthetic value that befits the progeny of European architecture.”

In a striking criticism, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., issued a tweet that an aide confirmed was aimed at the group.

“America is built on the idea that we are all created equal and success is earned through honest, hard work. It isn’t built on identity, race, or religion,” McCarthy wrote. “The Republican Party is the party of Lincoln & the party of more opportunity for all Americans — not nativist dog whistles.”

IMO, both sentiments---U.S. is "WASP"
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...on_Protestants
              Or that the U.S. represents equality for all....are both myths....

---the "real" culture of the Americas is that of the First Nations/Native peoples---European-Americans ARE the immigrants---They are also the immigrants that refused to "assimilate" and destroyed the "real" culture of the inhabitants.
              ---the European-Americans were not "Anglo-Saxon" (Britain) but initially the Americas were colonized by the Spanish, French and British....I think?
              ---Inequality was built into the "System" from the very beginning---the whole colonizing project was justified on the basis of superiority of one group over the "other".
              ---capitalism was not about "honest hard work"--huge success in this system is built on the exploitation of one group for the profits of a privileged few. (trade and colonization went hand-in-hand)

The anxiety over the decline of European-American heritage may have merit?---Some demographics show a decline of European-American heritage group from 80% of the national U.S. population to about 60% (with Hispanic and Asian-Americans as the fastest growing group)
              https://www.brookings.edu/research/n...han-predicted/

However, it has been possible for minority groups to survive in the U.S.---so European-Americans should also be able to survive (culturally) as minorities when the time comes?
              Still, it may be a good time to re-evaluate what it might mean to be a minority in an unequal system?---If the present system of policing were to continue---but the racial make-up reversed...with majority black-American police force that polices a minority white-American community, ---what would that be like? will the jails be filled with the white-American minorities?

Comment

Ah. Just an academic with which you happen to agree, then.
                You made this remark at post #9, "Mr. Sayer doth protest too much, it seems."

Where is your evidence to demonstrate that Sayer is protesting too much?
                "It ain't necessarily so
                The things that you're liable
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life
                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
                  from the article...

The group calls for limiting legal immigration “to those that can contribute not only economically, but have demonstrated respect for this nation’s culture and rule of law.” It voices support for infrastructure “that reflects the architectural, engineering and aesthetic value that befits the progeny of European architecture.”

In a striking criticism, House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., issued a tweet that an aide confirmed was aimed at the group.

“America is built on the idea that we are all created equal and success is earned through honest, hard work. It isn’t built on identity, race, or religion,” McCarthy wrote. “The Republican Party is the party of Lincoln & the party of more opportunity for all Americans — not nativist dog whistles.”

---the "real" culture of the Americas is that of the First Nations/Native peoples---European-Americans ARE the immigrants---They are also the immigrants that refused to "assimilate" and destroyed the "real" culture of the inhabitants.
                  ---the European-Americans were not "Anglo-Saxon" (Britain) but initially the Americas were colonized by the Spanish, French and British....I think?
                  ---Inequality was built into the "System" from the very beginning---the whole colonizing project was justified on the basis of superiority of one group over the "other".
                  ---capitalism was not about "honest hard work"--huge success in this system is built on the exploitation of one group for the profits of a privileged few. (trade and colonization went hand-in-hand)

The anxiety over the decline of European-American heritage may have merit?---Some demographics show a decline of European-American heritage group from 80% of the national U.S. population to about 60% (with Hispanic and Asian-Americans as the fastest growing group)

However, it has been possible for minority groups to survive in the U.S.---so European-Americans should also be able to survive (culturally) as minorities when the time comes?
                  Still, it may be a good time to re-evaluate what it might mean to be a minority in an unequal system?---If the present system of policing were to continue---but the racial make-up reversed...with majority black-American police force that polices a minority white-American community, ---what would that be like? will the jails be filled with the white-American minorities?
                  It is this mythologised Anglo-Saxon heritage that is being claimed.

What Ms Greene and those like her really mean by Anglo-Saxon is White and Protestant and originating from England and/or Northern Europe.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by siam View Post
                    from the article...

Native Americans are also immigrants. They just came earlier.

And this is a discussion about the culture of the U.S.A., which without Europeans wouldn't exist. And the original culture of the U.S.A. has its foundation in Anglo-Saxon, or if you prefer, British, tradition.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Native Americans are also immigrants. They just came earlier.

And this is a discussion about the culture of the U.S.A., which without Europeans wouldn't exist. And the original culture of the U.S.A. has its foundation in Anglo-Saxon, or if you prefer, British, tradition.
                      Once again rather nebulous terms are being employed. What precisely is "Anglo-Saxon, or if you prefer, British tradition"?
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Once again rather nebulous terms are being employed. What precisely is "Anglo-Saxon, or if you prefer, British tradition"?
                        I guess I should have continued using quotation marks around the word British and the like so that it wouldn't confuse you.

Comment

I guess I should have continued using quotation marks around the word British and the like so that it wouldn't confuse you.
                          What are these "British" traditions of which you wrote? And I note that you have used the word "British" as opposed to "English".
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

What are these "British" traditions of which you wrote? And I note that you have used the word "British" as opposed to "English".
                            If you had ever asked a sincere question in all of my experience in dealing with you rather than just snipe and cavil about the smallest of things, I'd take the time to write a few paragraphs regarding this, but given who and what you are, saying that the traditions the British settlers had when they first colonized the land are those traditions will suffice.

And I use "British" because there was a fair percentage of Scots and Welsh aboard those ships carrying English settlers. In fact the Carolinas were largely settled by the Scots (along with some Irish).

Comment

If you had ever asked a sincere question in all of my experience in dealing with you rather than just snipe and cavil about the smallest of things, I'd take the time to write a few paragraphs regarding this, but given who and what you are, saying that the traditions the British settlers had when they first colonized the land are those traditions will suffice.
                              I note the dodge with the attendant [should I use the word "whining"?] excuse.

And I use "British" because there was a fair percentage of Scots and Welsh aboard those ships carrying English settlers. In fact the Carolinas were largely settled by the Scots (along with some Irish).
                              The settlement of the Carolinas was [if I am not mistaken] during the mid seventeenth century. What about Jamestown? Or those early attempts by Raleigh in the late sixteenth century?

Or the Spanish on the west coast?
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I note the dodge with the attendant [should I use the word "whining"?] excuse.

The settlement of the Carolinas was [if I am not mistaken] during the mid seventeenth century. What about Jamestown? Or those early attempts by Raleigh in the late sixteenth century?

Or the Spanish on the west coast?
                                Jamestown was in Virginia, earlier Spanish attempts failed and disappeared and folks had been moving into the Carolinas from other colonies for various reasons well before Hyde and his buddies obtained an official charter from Charles II to settle it.

Comment