Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What does "free speech" really mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Please say it isn't... smiley shudder.gifFiddlesticks
    Busted!!!!

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

A slightly worse one.
    Please say it isn't... smiley shudder.gifFiddlesticks

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

"Fauci"?
    A slightly worse one.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    I think that the point KG is making here is that Lindell made such a fuss setting up an alternative social network that allows free speech and immediately turned around and announced various restrictions on that speech.

Leave a comment:

• Ronson
    replied
    I closed my Youtube channel several months ago and re-launched it on Bit Chute. Not nearly as much traffic, but not policed by the Left either. I'm happier.

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied

"Free Speech" is determined by the rules of the game -- If you come in my church using the F-word, you will be warned, then ushered out if necessary.
    "Fauci"?

Leave a comment:

• NorrinRadd
    replied
    I take the novel approach that words mean things. Speech that is "free" but NOT "unrestricted" is akin to a four-sided triangle: Oxymoronic -- with emphasis on the moronic -- and meaningless.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Is it free? No.

But, from your description, it's essentially "outlawing" specific words and phrases. That is a vast distance from "outlawing" ideas and topics, or punishing people because they supported the wrong candidate or opposed the wrong policy.
    Basically, it's "say what you want, but be civil".

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    There is a difference between free speech, and unrestricted speech. I think in the context of Mr. Lindell's proposal, free speech means that there will be no disallowed opinions, only disallowed words and language. I think that meets any reasonable definition of the term.

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Mike Lindell (the MyPillow guy) is starting a competing social media network, built around the notion of "free speech", but with the rule that you cannot swear or take the Lord's name in vain.

https://archive.is/sxBHf

From a Christian perspective, this is a good thing (let's put aside that the Bible also prohibits lying, even about elections), but it's not free speech. Why try to pretend otherwise? I get the impression that "free speech" is undergoing a semantic change in society that means "speech that I agree with".
    Is it free? No.

But, from your description, it's essentially "outlawing" specific words and phrases. That is a vast distance from "outlawing" ideas and topics, or punishing people because they supported the wrong candidate or opposed the wrong policy.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

Nobody's disputing that, but what does that have to do with the question at hand?
    "Free Speech" is determined by the rules of the game -- If you come in my church using the F-word, you will be warned, then ushered out if necessary.
    "Free Speech" is in the public domain (but even there with limitations) but in venues run by others, the owners get to set the bounds of free speech.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    replied
    Just like Tweb - if he's funding it, you agree to the rules when you sign up.
    Nobody's disputing that, but what does that have to do with the question at hand?

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Just like Tweb - if he's funding it, you agree to the rules when you sign up.

Leave a comment:

• seanD
    replied
    Why didn't you bring this issue up when the criterion of allowed speech was speech that isn't "hate speech?" That argument is just as bad. In fact, it's worse because you could argue his site is a religious site.

Leave a comment:

• KingsGambit
    started a topic What does "free speech" really mean?

What does "free speech" really mean?

Mike Lindell (the MyPillow guy) is starting a competing social media network, built around the notion of "free speech", but with the rule that you cannot swear or take the Lord's name in vain.

https://archive.is/sxBHf

From a Christian perspective, this is a good thing (let's put aside that the Bible also prohibits lying, even about elections), but it's not free speech. Why try to pretend otherwise? I get the impression that "free speech" is undergoing a semantic change in society that means "speech that I agree with".