Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afghanistan

Biden set to withdraw U.S. troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -President Joe Biden plans to withdraw the remaining 2,500 U.S. troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11, 2021, 20 years to the day after the al Qaeda attacks that triggered America’s longest war, U.S. officials said on Tuesday. The disclosure of the plan came on the same day that the U.S. intelligence community released a gloomy outlook for Afghanistan, forecasting “low” chances of a peace deal this year and warning that its government would struggle to hold the Taliban insurgency at bay if the U.S.-led coalition withdraws support.

Biden’s decision would miss a May 1 deadline for withdrawal agreed to with the Taliban by his predecessor Donald Trump. The insurgents had threatened to resume hostilities against foreign troops if that deadline was missed. But Biden would still be setting a near-term withdrawal date, potentially allaying Taliban concerns. The Democratic president will publicly announce his decision on Wednesday, the White House said. A senior Biden administration official said the pullout would begin before May 1 and could be complete well before the Sept. 11 deadline. Significantly, it will not would be subject to further conditions, including security or human rights.

“The president has judged that a conditions-based approach, which has been the approach of the past two decades, is a recipe in staying in Afghanistan forever,” the official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said in a briefing with reporters...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idINKBN2C028S

This is promising, if Biden follows through (which I doubt). More than anything else, the US is not obligated to play policeman in Afghanistan for eternity. If there is anarchy there, let those in the immediate vicinity deal with it. It is THEIR problem, not ours.

No more dead American kids for foreign conflicts.

One thing virtually all military commanders will agree on is that if you decide to withdraw, that you never, EVER announce a date.

What a bunch of morons.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Wonder if intelligence will accuse Biden of ignoring bounties being put on US troops by the Russians in order to stop it. Guess we'll find out just how partisan driven the Pentagon is when it comes to dismantling their voracious appetite for war.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        One thing virtually all military commanders will agree on is that if you decide to withdraw, that you never, EVER announce a date.

What a bunch of morons.
        They should wake up one morning and wonder where the US Troops went.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          Biden set to withdraw U.S. troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -President Joe Biden plans to withdraw the remaining 2,500 U.S. troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11, 2021, 20 years to the day after the al Qaeda attacks that triggered America’s longest war, U.S. officials said on Tuesday. The disclosure of the plan came on the same day that the U.S. intelligence community released a gloomy outlook for Afghanistan, forecasting “low” chances of a peace deal this year and warning that its government would struggle to hold the Taliban insurgency at bay if the U.S.-led coalition withdraws support.

Biden’s decision would miss a May 1 deadline for withdrawal agreed to with the Taliban by his predecessor Donald Trump. The insurgents had threatened to resume hostilities against foreign troops if that deadline was missed. But Biden would still be setting a near-term withdrawal date, potentially allaying Taliban concerns. The Democratic president will publicly announce his decision on Wednesday, the White House said. A senior Biden administration official said the pullout would begin before May 1 and could be complete well before the Sept. 11 deadline. Significantly, it will not would be subject to further conditions, including security or human rights.

“The president has judged that a conditions-based approach, which has been the approach of the past two decades, is a recipe in staying in Afghanistan forever,” the official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said in a briefing with reporters...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idINKBN2C028S

This is promising, if Biden follows through (which I doubt). More than anything else, the US is not obligated to play policeman in Afghanistan for eternity. If there is anarchy there, let those in the immediate vicinity deal with it. It is THEIR problem, not ours.

No more dead American kids for foreign conflicts.
          I think we all know this ain't happening, sadly. He'll come up with some excuse by sept 11 on why we need to keep troops there.

Comment

One thing virtually all military commanders will agree on ...
            I don't even think that's true. Besides, such announcements always come with caveats. The arguments I've heard against setting a date have been fatally flawed, in my opinion. A date certain cannot help but encourage both sides to step up. A side that isn't encouraged is a side that will never be able to stand on their own, a total loss being held back by a finger in the dike, a side that doesn't deserve support.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

I think we all know this ain't happening, sadly. He'll come up with some excuse by sept 11 on why we need to keep troops there.
              I agree only if there isn't some reason for this, like they're gearing up for a war with either China (over Taiwan) or Russia (over Ukraine) or Iran (if they go to war with Israel). If there's not another war on the horizon, then this will never happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

I don't even think that's true. Besides, such announcements always come with caveats. The arguments I've heard against setting a date have been fatally flawed, in my opinion. A date certain cannot help but encourage both sides to step up. A side that isn't encouraged is a side that will never be able to stand on their own, a total loss being held back by a finger in the dike, a side that doesn't deserve support.
                Your side knowing the pull out date is a totally different beast than foolishly announcing it to the enemy so that they know it as well.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Your side knowing the pull out date is a totally different beast than foolishly announcing it to the enemy so that they know it as well.
                  Respectfully, if your side knows the pull-out date, so does their enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Respectfully, if your side knows the pull-out date, so does their enemy.
                    Respectfully, they have nothing but a rumor which can be seriously muddied by constantly leaking various dates.

Comment

It warms the cockles of my heart that you guys are so very respectful of one another.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        It warms the cockles of my heart that you guys are so very respectful of one another.
                        Next time you're way out in the field and need to take a poop, please be sure to be wearing spurs when you squat

Comment

Next time you're way out in the field and need to take a poop, please be sure to be wearing spurs when you squat
                          That's one of the FIRST things a Texas dad will share as part of "the talk". Along with "never kick a fresh cow patty".

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            [box]Biden set to withdraw U.S. troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -President Joe Biden plans to withdraw the remaining 2,500 U.S. troops from Afghanistan by Sept. 11, 2021, 20 years to the day after the al Qaeda attacks that triggered America’s longest war, U.S. officials said on Tuesday..
                            Technically, no peace treaty was ever signed with North Korea. That will make 71 years this coming June 25.

When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

Technically, no peace treaty was ever signed with North Korea. That will make 71 years this coming June 25.
                              Well, yeah, but the two leaders had a huggy session in 2018, so it's gonna happen any minute now!!!

koreas_summit.jpg

Comment