Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Yet again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

What cannot be overlooked, however, is the fact that this is a woman trying to arrest a man. It is possible that a man may have been able to subdue the subject, and finish handcuffing, and avoided the incident, but that's not what happened.

We cannot overlook the fact that female police are GENERALLY not as strong or big as the men they attempt to apprehend.
    There were multiple officers there, though, I believe. And even most male officers would struggle with a panicking criminal trying to escape. Taser would likely be engaged anyway

but sure, I do take your point and personally think that's a problem in recent years in both policing and in the military with women. There are certainly a few women who can physically meet the requirements males can, but not many,and unfortunately they'vebeen lowering standards so they can get more women to look "woke"

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    That indicates to me you don't knowwhat you are talking about. A wanted felon, with past gun charges, fought police and then went back into his car where a gun could be, or where he could then run over police and hit bystanders, but yeah "no threat". There was more than enough need to use a taser.
    What cannot be overlooked, however, is the fact that this is a woman trying to arrest a man. It is possible that a man may have been able to subdue the subject, and finish handcuffing, and avoided the incident, but that's not what happened.

We cannot overlook the fact that female police are GENERALLY not as strong or big as the men they attempt to apprehend.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Just like the George Floyd case is a classic example of very BAD police action, this case is a classic example of very BAD reporting.
    That it is taking place at an ever-increasing frequency has made it all but impossible to not consider it as being deliberate.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by Roy View Post
    That indicates to me that there was no need to use a taser, and that US police use tasers when there is no threat to themselves.
    That indicates to me you don't knowwhat you are talking about. A wanted felon, with past gun charges, fought police and then went back into his car where a gun could be, or where he could then run over police and hit bystanders, but yeah "no threat". There was more than enough need to use a taser.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    With a man that has multiple warrants out for his arrest who then decides to resist arrest and jumps into their vehicle in an attempt to flee and thereby endangering those nearby, is to me a legitimate use of a taser.

I should note that some in the MSM are dutifully ignoring those details and focusing only on his being pulled over for expired tags (why would anyone drive around with expired tags when they have warrants out on them? ) and are calling it nothing more than his being shot for a DWB (Driving While Black).

And y'all wonder why there is such a growing distrust of the MSM.
    Just like the George Floyd case is a classic example of very BAD police action, this case is a classic example of very BAD reporting.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post

That is fine, but she is entitled to due process, and the city manager should not have been fired for suggesting so. Now the mayor may fire the police chief for suggesting it was an accident (which it was). The mayor is a pandering pig...
    A sign of the times - forget common sense - do what you think will appease the masses.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Roy View Post
    That indicates to me that there was no need to use a taser, and that US police use tasers when there is no threat to themselves.
    With a man that has multiple warrants out for his arrest who then decides to resist arrest and jumps into their vehicle in an attempt to flee and thereby endangering those nearby, is to me a legitimate use of a taser.

I should note that some in the MSM are dutifully ignoring those details and focusing only on his being pulled over for expired tags (why would anyone drive around with expired tags when they have warrants out on them? ) and are calling it nothing more than his being shot for a DWB (Driving While Black).

And y'all wonder why there is such a growing distrust of the MSM.

Leave a comment:

• Roy
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

He had a warrant, struggled with a cop who was trying to cuff/detain him, and then attempted to get into his car and flee. That's when the taser was going to be deployed, and you can hear her call it put several times, before she accidentally pulled her gun instead and shot once. Then you can hear, shocked saying something like "oh my god I shot him.

when a suspect tries to escape, tasers are typically attempted to cease the fleeing.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Just because they are not cooperating does not absolve the cops of excessive use of force. I.E. If I'm getting arrested and I refuse to put my hands behind my back, it doesn't mean the cops can then get 8 of their buddies and beat me with night sticks for the next half hour.
    I never said it absolved them, but one can prevent the police from having to make a split second decision during a stressful confrontation by simply not instigating a stressful confrontation.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied

I don't see any way to justify what she did, and it was so egregious that she should have immediately been put on administrative leave without pay pending a hearing.
    That is fine, but she is entitled to due process, and the city manager should not have been fired for suggesting so. Now the mayor may fire the police chief for suggesting it was an accident (which it was). The mayor is a pandering pig...

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by kccd View Post
    I heard the call for due process, and I think that was appropriate, although the officer should have been off the force while that was being done.
    I don't see any way to justify what she did, and it was so egregious that she should have immediately been put on administrative leave without pay pending a hearing.

Leave a comment:

• kccd
    replied
    Originally posted by seer View Post
    Daunte Wright shooting: Brooklyn Center city manager fired after call for due process for police officer

'Effective immediately our city manager has been relieved of his duties,' Brooklyn Center mayor Mike Elliott said

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dau...police-officer
    I heard the call for due process, and I think that was appropriate, although the officer should have been off the force while that was being done.

Leave a comment:

• seer
    replied
    Daunte Wright shooting: Brooklyn Center city manager fired after call for due process for police officer

'Effective immediately our city manager has been relieved of his duties,' Brooklyn Center mayor Mike Elliott said

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dau...police-officer

Leave a comment:

• CivilDiscourse
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

A headline you never see:

"Man shot by police after cooperating"
    Just because they are not cooperating does not absolve the cops of excessive use of force. I.E. If I'm getting arrested and I refuse to put my hands behind my back, it doesn't mean the cops can then get 8 of their buddies and beat me with night sticks for the next half hour.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

A headline you never see:

"Man shot by police after cooperating"
    Not sure if you meant that seriously, but that's not always the case (so perhaps "a headline you usually don't see" would be a more accurate statement.....).

https://www.cnn.com/2014/09/25/justi...ing/index.html

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-36859305

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...ilando_Castile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Daniel_Shaver

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...Justine_Damond
    Last edited by Gondwanaland; 04-12-2021, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment: