Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Yet again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Well, no, instincts developed through sufficient training would have had her grab the traser when she intended to grab her taser. Grabbing her pistol instead suggests that her instincts had not been sufficiently developed for whatever reason.
    Yes sir, and since the taser mistake can be deadly, that is drilled in pretty hard, and she was a training officer.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

That's what I figured it would be. 2nd degree manslaughter, which applies to negligence in that state. At least they didnt overcharge like they did Chauvin. Likely she'll be found guilty and get the minimum.
      I'm assuming a plea.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• It seems most analysts I've seen pretty much agree with the charges being appropriate. There have been a few exceptions. A few of those looney toon leftists on the far fringe who think all police are racists and they should be totally abolished.

I guess that "looney toon leftists on the far fringe" includes "Squad" member Rashida Tlaib (D-MI).

She also appears to think that Daunte Wright was shot intentionally.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          It seems most analysts I've seen pretty much agree with the charges being appropriate. There have been a few exceptions. A few of those looney toon leftists on the far fringe who think all police are racists and they should be totally abolished.

I guess that "looney toon leftists on the far fringe" includes "Squad" member Rashida Tlaib (D-MI).

She also appears to think that Daunte Wright was shot intentionally.
          This is the kind of crap that makes me want to say that word I'm not saying anymore. What a moron!

No - WORSE than a moron --- What an incredibly sorry human being!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

This is the kind of crap that makes me want to say that word I'm not saying anymore. What a moron!

No - WORSE than a moron --- What an incredibly sorry human being!
            Snap.
            Folks who try to elevate a dreadfully sad mistake in to a deliberate act are certainly working at the cutting edge of hate.

I don't suppose many people are feeling sorry for that police officer but I am, because she had served her community for 26 years and clearly never intended to destroy hers reputation, career and life like that .

I wonder when she last had trauma counselling? It should be mandatory and regular. In a country full of guns each shift must surely erode the nerve.

I do love Clint Eastwood films but the way that the Dirty Harry movies made fun of trauma counselling.... That was very sad/stupid of the producers.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Snap.
              Folks who try to elevate a dreadfully sad mistake in to a deliberate act are certainly working at the cutting edge of hate.

I don't suppose many people are feeling sorry for that police officer but I am, because she had served her community for 26 years and clearly never intended to destroy hers reputation, career and life like that .
              I feel sorry for her, but I think this is a mistake from which she cannot recover.

I wonder when she last had trauma counselling? It should be mandatory and regular. In a country full of guns each shift must surely erode the nerve.

I do love Clint Eastwood films but the way that the Dirty Harry movies made fun of trauma counselling.... That was very sad/stupid of the producers.
              Yeah, that whole "I'm too manly to need help" routine destroys a lot of people.

Comment

The problem is when they get pushed on you when you really don't need one.

When I was in High Skewl, one of the other kids was killed in a traffic accident about a mile from the school. Everyone had to go see a grief counsellor the next week. I only knew him well enough to recognize him by name. We spoke perhaps half a dozen times. From that seemed like a nice enough person. But there was no grief that needed counselling. I just didn't know him that well.

When I tried to explain that to the counsellor she said I was in denial and scheduled another session. I didn't go.

But for people that really need one they are priceless and should be made available.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  The problem is when they get pushed on you when you really don't need one.

When I was in High Skewl, one of the other kids was killed in a traffic accident about a mile from the school. Everyone had to go see a grief counsellor the next week. I only knew him well enough to recognize him by name. We spoke perhaps half a dozen times. From that seemed like a nice enough person. But there was no grief that needed counselling. I just didn't know him that well.

When I tried to explain that to the counsellor she said I was in denial and scheduled another session. I didn't go.

But for people that really need one they are priceless and should be made available.
                  For sure.
                  And people who live and work in permanent risk do need training reviews and careful counselling for built up stresses and tensions.
                  You've seen it before, I'll bet you have, how a person can go on coping, day by day, month by month, and then one day they just stop working in some way, go wrong, do something strange.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I feel sorry for her, but I think this is a mistake from which she cannot recover.

Yeah, that whole "I'm too manly to need help" routine destroys a lot of people.
                    Oh yes. She has retired, I think. It's over for her.
                    i bet she's a suicide risk, CP.
                    Just dreadful.
                    And just watch for the vultures to go after her.

I'm sad for the victim too. I don't know why the police let keys stay in the car, or suspects stand by the driver doors, or anything about that. The whole stop looked odd to me.

Comment

Snap.

I actually feel sorry for her too and I'm the last person on this forum that is a typical pro-cop conservative.

And the earlier analogy about the drunk victim and rape was inaccurate. Guys don't accidentally rape their victims so the analogy was kind of asinine. I say it IS the victims fault for resisting arrest because she didn't intentionally kill the guy; it was a human mistake that would have never happened if he didn't resist.

And the doxxing thing is pretty unprecedented. If every time a cop makes a mistake is doxxed, that could reshape the future of policing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Well, no, instincts developed through sufficient training would have had her grab the traser when she intended to grab her taser. Grabbing her pistol instead suggests that her instincts had not been sufficiently developed for whatever reason.
                        If she had been cognizent of what she was doing she would have noticed she drew the wrong weapon. She was hyperfocused on the guy trying to escape and just used her instinct to grab the tazer and grabbed her gun without realizing it, or even seeing it as she pointed it at the guy. Adrenaline was pumping and she was not checking her actions but relying on instinct. It failed her.

Have you ever been focused on something, say like reading a newspaper at a coffee shop and put salt in your coffee instead of sugar or something like that? This is similar but with a ton of adrenaline pumping.

I think that is why many police departments train them to use their off hand to use a tazer, or make them reach across to their offside (where they holster the tazer) with their dominant hand to prevent such an accident.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

I actually feel sorry for her too and I'm the last person on this forum that is a typical pro-cop conservative.
                          Snap. I'm not pro-cop, only pro good cop, and over here we still have some bent cops. And I only voted for Boris because I believe in Brexit, I'm usually a left of center voter.

And the earlier analogy about the drunk victim and rape was inaccurate. Guys don't accidentally rape their victims so the analogy was kind of asinine.
                          I must go back and read that analogy. I missed that and certainly didn't write it, but I'm sure that you know that.

I say it IS the victims fault for resisting arrest because she didn't intentionally kill the guy; it was a human mistake that would have never happened if he didn't resist.
                          They're both victims of a bad situation. But the cop has the vultures after her now, and I dare not try to imagine what will happen to her either in a custodial sentence or out of one. From 26 years of duty to convict through an accident at a time when she will get no sympathy at all.

And the doxxing thing is pretty unprecedented. If every time a cop makes a mistake is doxxed, that could reshape the future of policing.
                          You keep teaching me words I've never heard of......... I'll google doxxing, although I can guess what it means.

Comment

Snap. I'm not pro-cop, only pro good cop, and over here we still have some bent cops. And I only voted for Boris because I believe in Brexit, I'm usually a left of center voter.

I must go back and read that analogy. I missed that and certainly didn't write it, but I'm sure that you know that.

They're both victims of a bad situation. But the cop has the vultures after her now, and I dare not try to imagine what will happen to her either in a custodial sentence or out of one. From 26 years of duty to convict through an accident at a time when she will get no sympathy at all.

You keep teaching me words I've never heard of......... I'll google doxxing, although I can guess what it means.
                            Yup, I do realize that wasn't your analogy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

If she had been cognizent of what she was doing she would have noticed she drew the wrong weapon. She was hyperfocused on the guy trying to escape and just used her instinct to grab the tazer and grabbed her gun without realizing it, or even seeing it as she pointed it at the guy. Adrenaline was pumping and she was not checking her actions but relying on instinct. It failed her.

Have you ever been focused on something, say like reading a newspaper at a coffee shop and put salt in your coffee instead of sugar or something like that? This is similar but with a ton of adrenaline pumping.

I think that is why many police departments train them to use their off hand to use a tazer, or make them reach across to their offside (where they holster the tazer) with their dominant hand to prevent such an accident.
                              There was a "hole" in her training or department procedure that did not allow her to be sufficiently aware of which weapon she was drawing. I say this because an officer drawing the wrong weapon in an equally stress situation is rare to the point that is the first instance I've ever heard of.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• I wonder what the average bail is for someone with no priors but charged with second-degree manslaughter. Hers is $100,000.

Apparently the parent's, understandably distraught, refuse to accept that their son was killed by a "mistake." Daunte's father, Aubrey Wright, told ABC News

"I can't accept that - a mistake, that doesn't even sound right. This officer has been on the force for 26 years. I can't accept that."

His aunt Naisha echoed and elaborated on that.

"They killed my nephew. Every pistol, even a Taser, has a safety on it. I watched that video like everybody else watched it - that woman held that gun in front of her so a long time."

She also indicated the family's dissatisfaction with the charge, which carries a maximum of 10-years and/or a $20,000 fine.

"If we can have life, we want life. We gotta go life without him."

Comment