Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Yet again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    I've heard some people speculate that he didn't know that there was a warrant out for his arrest. Given that he decided not to go to court (or even attend a zoom session), it is inconceivable that he wasn't aware that there was a warrant out for his arrest. It is likely why he struggled and tried to get in his car to run away. He knew he was going to jail.
    True, although I guess the argument is slightly feasible given that his gross misdemeanor from what I understand was for..... fleeing the police. So I guess they could argue that's just in his nature to run from police , but yeah, highly doubtful he didn't know he was going to get a warrant for skipping court - that's something you're usually informed of when you're charged in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
      Come off it, CP. Running away is not fighting.
      Off what? Resisting arrest and running away is most certainly initiating a fight. Unless you think the cops are gonna say "gosh golly, I guess we'll get him next time". Come on, Roy, you're smarter than this.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I am a white, law-abiding male from a white, law-abiding family, and *I* was given "the talk" decades ago.

What should not be necessary is making "the talk" a matter of race or gender.
        And, again, SHOULD NOT be necessary doesn't Trump "it's the smart thing to do".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
          It gives a false impression of the victim.
          As best I can tell from the video, the shooter didn't know there was a gun violation, just that there was an outstanding warrant.
          An outstanding warrant ALWAYS changes the situation, and not knowing what the warrant is for necessitates assuming the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

It is when you were being held with your hands behind your back, getting cuffs put on your wrists.
            Absolutely - it drastically changes the dynamic. And I think Roy knows that.

Comment

Do you remember the Clinton appointed judge who ruled that running from the police was just a natural response for some people and therefore not illegal? IIRC, it involved a case up in Michigan.
              Yeah, but if I recall, that was prior to actual contact. In other words, a patrol car drives down the block, and three guys break into a run --- that's not a crime, nor can it be used as a premise for an arrest. But once they're being detained, running becomes a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Yeah, but if I recall, that was prior to actual contact. In other words, a patrol car drives down the block, and three guys break into a run --- that's not a crime, nor can it be used as a premise for an arrest. But once they're being detained, running becomes a problem.
                IIRC it was a standard traffic stop with everyone bailing as soon as the vehicle pulled over situation. .

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

IIRC it was a standard traffic stop with everyone bailing as soon as the vehicle pulled over situation. .
                  I don't remember that - but that sure sounds a lot more suspicious than a bunch of guys standing on the corner breaking into a run. (That's suspicious enough in itself, of course)

Comment

I don't remember that - but that sure sounds a lot more suspicious than a bunch of guys standing on the corner breaking into a run. (That's suspicious enough in itself, of course)
                    I think that a lot of this was made moot by Illinois v. Wardlow in 2000 when the SCOTUS ruled that if a person in a high-crime neighborhood runs in "unprovoked flight" from a police officer, that the standard of reasonable suspicion has been met

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think that a lot of this was made moot by Illinois v. Wardlow in 2000 when the SCOTUS ruled that if a person in a high-crime neighborhood runs in "unprovoked flight" from a police officer, that the standard of reasonable suspicion has been met
                      Which brings us back to the cop shows where they're looking for a specific individual, they spot him, and from a block away, they yell his name....... and the chase is on!

Comment

Which brings us back to the cop shows where they're looking for a specific individual, they spot him, and from a block away, they yell his name....... and the chase is on!
                        Gotta make the drama quota.

Comment

Gotta make the drama quota.
                          And "cut to the chase".

Comment

And "cut to the chase".
                            One of the best police chase scenes ever was Steve McQueen's in Bullit

Comment

If ever someone could be charges with being criminally stupid it is the officer who shot this guy. But you're right. It definitely isn't murder. There was no intent.
                              I'm not even sure she was criminally stupid. Mistakes happen, but at the same time, it was her job to make sure they did not happen. There are so many sad things about this case it's somewhat overwhelming. I am sympathetic to all involved on this one. Not sympathetic to continued rioting after the release of the video. There was no intent here. It was a tragic mistake and both the shooter and the victim made fatal mistakes any one of which avoided would have left the man alive and unharmed.

Though I doubt we'll ever be told, I'd really like to know what, if anything, caused her to have her gun in her hand in the first place. She had just trained a rookie that day IIRC, and knew first hand what could happen if one mixes the two from her involvement in a previous and similar case. So what lapse in protocol, what immediate distraction resulted in her holding a gun instead of a taser. She clearly thought what she had in her hand was a taser.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

One of the best police chase scenes ever was Steve McQueen's in Bullit
                                There was a Blue Bloods episode where "the Bullitt Mustang" had been in transport, was reported stolen, recovered, etc..... and the Blue Blood cops (including gramps) got a special showing of the original.... great episode!!!

bullit.jfif

Sadly....

Q: On the episode of “Blue Bloods” titled “The Bullitt Mustang,” was the car shown at the end the original Mustang from the movie?

A: Viewers of that episode of the CBS drama will recall that it revolved around the so-called Bullitt Mustang, the car Steve McQueen drove in the 1968 classic Bullitt. In the episode, what was thought to be the car from the movie was in fact a fake, but a second car seen at the show’s end is presented as the real thing.

Unfortunately, according to CBS, that was just some dramatic license. The telecast featured two authentic 1968 Mustangs, but neither is the car from the film. The location and owner of the actual car from the film have been much discussed by car buffs, though I did not see an answer I thought definitive enough to mention here.

Comment