Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Yet again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It was a lawful arrest, and he attempted to "get away from" by means of "fighting off" the arrest.
    Come off it, CP. Running away is not fighting.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Multiple warrants? All the sources I've found say there was just one.
      1. Does it really matter?
      It gives a false impression of the victim.
      ANY gun violation is going to be a red flag for police. And when he was so desperate to get back to his car for some unknown reason, that gun violation is something that will most definitely be kept in mind.
      As best I can tell from the video, the shooter didn't know there was a gun violation, just that there was an outstanding warrant.
      Last edited by Roy; 04-14-2021, 05:03 AM.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

When you get into any fight you need to be aware how quickly it can escalate. And this is even truer when you ....
        ... try to drive away from the police?

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

False equivalence. Some fool getting "passed out drunk" is neither the same level nor kind of foolishness as "resisting arrest."
          I never said they were. But, the same is true. The question of whether the mitigating action was taken becomes irrelevant once the other person acts. The question then becomes whether that other person was right or wrong in acting.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            As best I can tell from the video, the shooter didn't know there was a gun violation, just that there was an outstanding warrant.
            Today the news said he also had a warrant out for attempted armed robbery. The police had good reason to want to arrest him and to stop him from getting back into his car. He could have been going for a gun. The shooting was an accident. Manslaughter. Not murder.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Yes, we should avoid blaming the victim
              Did the left ever throw that belief into the waste basket what with trying to constantly defend all of the assaults on people for wearing a MAGA hat. Then it was they were "asking for it" by wearing the hat.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Typically you have to do something first in order to run away unless you take off at first site of the cops. That's where the resisting arrest comes into play rather than evading arrest.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

From being a wanted criminal to being a wanted criminal.

You got that from a video. The ability to read someone's mind from watching a video of them. That's quite a talent there.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I am a white, law-abiding male from a white, law-abiding family, and *I* was given "the talk" decades ago.

What should not be necessary is making "the talk" a matter of race or gender.
                    If I were black and a father I'd make my kids watch Chris Rock's video on how not to get arrested every year on their birthday once they reached double digits. In fact if I were a father I'd make my kids watch it regardless of race.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Today the news said he also had a warrant out for attempted armed robbery. The police had good reason to want to arrest him and to stop him from getting back into his car. He could have been going for a gun. The shooting was an accident. Manslaughter. Not murder.
                      If ever someone could be charges with being criminally stupid it is the officer who shot this guy. But you're right. It definitely isn't murder. There was no intent.

Comment

Typically you have to do something first in order to run away unless you take off at first site of the cops. That's where the resisting arrest comes into play rather than evading arrest.
                        Conventional wisdom also says that people don't run away from the police unless they're guilty of something. If you see a cop and start to run, they will pursue and arrest even if they had no interest in you before you ran.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Conventional wisdom also says that people don't run away from the police unless they're guilty of something. If you see a cop and start to run, they will pursue and arrest even if they had no interest in you before you ran.
                          Do you remember the Clinton appointed judge who ruled that running from the police was just a natural response for some people and therefore not illegal? IIRC, it involved a case up in Michigan.

Comment

It is when you were being held with your hands behind your back, getting cuffs put on your wrists.

Comment

Multiple news agencies reported multiple warrants. And BTW his warrant(s) were for failure to appear for two different charges - gross misdemeanor and illegal gun. And it was for a ZOOM hearing. The dude didn't even have to leave his home and travel to a courthouse, he just had to hop on Zoom.

Oh, and this recently came out:
                              https://www.foxnews.com/us/daunte-wr...-he-was-killed
                              Last edited by Gondwanaland; 04-14-2021, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Multiple news agencies reported multiple warrants. And BTW his warrant(s) were for failure to appear for two different charges - gross misdemeanor and illegal gun. And it was for a ZOOM hearing. The dude didn't even have to leave his home and travel to a courthouse, he just had to hop on Zoom.

Oh, and this recently came out:
                                https://www.foxnews.com/us/daunte-wr...-he-was-killed
                                I've heard some people speculate that he didn't know that there was a warrant out for his arrest. Given that he decided not to go to court (or even attend a zoom session), it is inconceivable that he wasn't aware that there was a warrant out for his arrest. It is likely why he struggled and tried to get in his car to run away. He knew he was going to jail.

Comment