Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Yet again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

This always has to go back to that.

No, it's not her FAULT for getting raped, but if I love my daughter - and I love both of them - I'm going to do everything in my power to help them understand the risks that get significantly greater when a woman is intoxicated around men.

Just like if I were the father of a black man --- I AGREE that "the talk" should NOT be necessary --- but if I love my black son, I'm going to do my best to help him understand that the risks get significantly greater when he resists in a police action.
    Absolutely. But once risk mitigation fails, the fact that someone did/did not mitigate their risk isn't really relevant.

In other words, if your daughter WAS raped, you wouldn't be overly concerned about whether they got drunk, you would be concerned with punishing the rapist.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post
      Absolutely. But once risk mitigation fails, the fact that someone did/did not mitigate their risk isn't really relevant.
      Yet, we humans are slaves of the "woulda coulda shoulda".

In other words, if your daughter WAS raped, you wouldn't be overly concerned about whether they got drunk, you would be concerned with punishing the rapist.
      Actually, I'd be more concerned about my daughter's wellbeing, physically, emotionally and spiritually, but, yeah --- I would most certainly want her rapist attacked. But for compound reasons --- a rapist isn't likely to rape only once, and it could well prevent future rapes, and identify previous victims.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Again, His resistance matters only so far as he caused force to be applied. Once it has, his resistance no longer matters, it becomes a question of whether or not the appropriate amount was used.

Would you tell a raped girl that "It's on you, you shouldn't have gotten drunk."
        The fact is, bad things can happen when you exercise poor judgment. The takeaway from your example is "Never get blackout drunk."
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          The fact is, bad things can happen when you exercise poor judgment. The takeaway from your example is "Never get blackout drunk."
          And simple things like - if you're a girl in a bar, never leave your drink unattended, and only accept a drink straight from the bartender or authorized agent - never from somebody you don't know handing you an open container or glass. It's a shame that you have to know these things, but it's part of "living in the jungle".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Absolutely. Never denied that. But there's a fine line. Telling women to avoid getting blackout drunk is good advice. Telling a woman who was raped that "she shouldn't have gotten black out drunk" just shifts the blame from the rapist onto her.

A victim of excessive force IS a victim, regardless of whether that force was brought on by their non-compliance. The only time the blame shifts back onto the target is when the force was reasonable given the situation.

Comment

Absolutely. Never denied that. But there's a fine line. Telling women to avoid getting blackout drunk is good advice. Telling a woman who was raped that "she shouldn't have gotten black out drunk" just shifts the blame from the rapist onto her.

A victim of excessive force IS a victim, regardless of whether that force was brought on by their non-compliance. The only time the blame shifts back onto the target is when the force was reasonable given the situation.
              Yes, we should avoid blaming the victim, but we shouldn't flip the other way and completely absolve them, either. A girl who goes to a party with a bunch of strangers and gets blackout drunk made a series of poor choices that created the opportunity for the rapist, an opportunity he wouldn't have had if she had made different choices. That's not blaming the victim, that's a simple statement of fact.

In this case, the suspect willfully and needlessly created a stressful situation, and the officer made a grave mistake as a result of that stress. Those are the facts.

Comment

That advice would also apply to the man who wears an expensive watch.
                But having your watch stolen is much less traumatic than getting raped.

Comment

Yes, we should avoid blaming the victim, but we shouldn't flip the other way and completely absolve them, either. A girl who goes to a party with a bunch of strangers and gets blackout drunk made a series of poor choices that created the opportunity for the rapist, an opportunity he wouldn't have had if she had made different choices. That's not blaming the victim, that's a simple statement of fact.

In this case, the suspect willfully and needlessly created a stressful situation, and the officer made a grave mistake as a result of that stress. Those are the facts.
                  It turns out that a lot of women are raped by acquaintances. So should a woman not drink when she goes to a party with people she thinks are friends?

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

That advice would also apply to the man who wears an expensive watch.
                    But having your watch stolen is much less traumatic than getting raped.
                    Sure, you could propose deliberately unequal hypotheticals and pretend you said something meaningful.

Comment

It turns out that a lot of women are raped by acquaintances. So should a woman not drink when she goes to a party with people she thinks are friends?
                      Why did you leave out the part about getting blackout drunk?

Comment

Whether you're with friends, strangers, enemies, or by yourself, you really shouldn't ever be drinking so much you get blackout drunk.

Comment

There's a difference between getting blacked-out drunk and drinking with friends - but I would advise the same - do not leave your drink unattended, don't accept a drink from a stranger, and watch your intake. Know your metabolism and what you can reasonably process.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                            Whether you're with friends, strangers, enemies, or by yourself, you really shouldn't ever be drinking so much you get blackout drunk.
                            Period!

Comment

That's not the important question. The important question is whether his level of resistance and danger necessitate the amount of force exercised. Your question is akin to saying

"If the raped girl did not get passed out drunk, would she have been raped? Yes or No? "

Sure, her not getting passed out drunk might have saved her from being raped, but it doesn't actually address the rapist or their actions.
                              False equivalence. Some fool getting "passed out drunk" is neither the same level nor kind of foolishness as "resisting arrest."
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

This always has to go back to that.

No, it's not her FAULT for getting raped, but if I love my daughter - and I love both of them - I'm going to do everything in my power to help them understand the risks that get significantly greater when a woman is intoxicated around men.

Just like if I were the father of a black man --- I AGREE that "the talk" should NOT be necessary --- but if I love my black son, I'm going to do my best to help him understand that the risks get significantly greater when he resists in a police action.
                                I am a white, law-abiding male from a white, law-abiding family, and *I* was given "the talk" decades ago.

What should not be necessary is making "the talk" a matter of race or gender.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment