Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Yet again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

A headline you never see:

"Man shot by police after cooperating"
    Just because they are not cooperating does not absolve the cops of excessive use of force. I.E. If I'm getting arrested and I refuse to put my hands behind my back, it doesn't mean the cops can then get 8 of their buddies and beat me with night sticks for the next half hour.

Comment

Daunte Wright shooting: Brooklyn Center city manager fired after call for due process for police officer

'Effective immediately our city manager has been relieved of his duties,' Brooklyn Center mayor Mike Elliott said

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dau...police-officer
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        Daunte Wright shooting: Brooklyn Center city manager fired after call for due process for police officer

'Effective immediately our city manager has been relieved of his duties,' Brooklyn Center mayor Mike Elliott said

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dau...police-officer
        I heard the call for due process, and I think that was appropriate, although the officer should have been off the force while that was being done.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post
          I heard the call for due process, and I think that was appropriate, although the officer should have been off the force while that was being done.
          I don't see any way to justify what she did, and it was so egregious that she should have immediately been put on administrative leave without pay pending a hearing.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I don't see any way to justify what she did, and it was so egregious that she should have immediately been put on administrative leave without pay pending a hearing.
            That is fine, but she is entitled to due process, and the city manager should not have been fired for suggesting so. Now the mayor may fire the police chief for suggesting it was an accident (which it was). The mayor is a pandering pig...
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

Just because they are not cooperating does not absolve the cops of excessive use of force. I.E. If I'm getting arrested and I refuse to put my hands behind my back, it doesn't mean the cops can then get 8 of their buddies and beat me with night sticks for the next half hour.
              I never said it absolved them, but one can prevent the police from having to make a split second decision during a stressful confrontation by simply not instigating a stressful confrontation.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

He had a warrant, struggled with a cop who was trying to cuff/detain him, and then attempted to get into his car and flee. That's when the taser was going to be deployed, and you can hear her call it put several times, before she accidentally pulled her gun instead and shot once. Then you can hear, shocked saying something like "oh my god I shot him.

when a suspect tries to escape, tasers are typically attempted to cease the fleeing.
                That indicates to me that there was no need to use a taser, and that US police use tasers when there is no threat to themselves.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  That indicates to me that there was no need to use a taser, and that US police use tasers when there is no threat to themselves.
                  With a man that has multiple warrants out for his arrest who then decides to resist arrest and jumps into their vehicle in an attempt to flee and thereby endangering those nearby, is to me a legitimate use of a taser.

I should note that some in the MSM are dutifully ignoring those details and focusing only on his being pulled over for expired tags (why would anyone drive around with expired tags when they have warrants out on them? ) and are calling it nothing more than his being shot for a DWB (Driving While Black).

And y'all wonder why there is such a growing distrust of the MSM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

That is fine, but she is entitled to due process, and the city manager should not have been fired for suggesting so. Now the mayor may fire the police chief for suggesting it was an accident (which it was). The mayor is a pandering pig...
                    A sign of the times - forget common sense - do what you think will appease the masses.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      With a man that has multiple warrants out for his arrest who then decides to resist arrest and jumps into their vehicle in an attempt to flee and thereby endangering those nearby, is to me a legitimate use of a taser.

I should note that some in the MSM are dutifully ignoring those details and focusing only on his being pulled over for expired tags (why would anyone drive around with expired tags when they have warrants out on them? ) and are calling it nothing more than his being shot for a DWB (Driving While Black).

And y'all wonder why there is such a growing distrust of the MSM.
                      Just like the George Floyd case is a classic example of very BAD police action, this case is a classic example of very BAD reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        That indicates to me you don't knowwhat you are talking about. A wanted felon, with past gun charges, fought police and then went back into his car where a gun could be, or where he could then run over police and hit bystanders, but yeah "no threat". There was more than enough need to use a taser.

Comment

Just like the George Floyd case is a classic example of very BAD police action, this case is a classic example of very BAD reporting.
                          That it is taking place at an ever-increasing frequency has made it all but impossible to not consider it as being deliberate.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That indicates to me you don't knowwhat you are talking about. A wanted felon, with past gun charges, fought police and then went back into his car where a gun could be, or where he could then run over police and hit bystanders, but yeah "no threat". There was more than enough need to use a taser.
                            What cannot be overlooked, however, is the fact that this is a woman trying to arrest a man. It is possible that a man may have been able to subdue the subject, and finish handcuffing, and avoided the incident, but that's not what happened.

We cannot overlook the fact that female police are GENERALLY not as strong or big as the men they attempt to apprehend.

Comment

What cannot be overlooked, however, is the fact that this is a woman trying to arrest a man. It is possible that a man may have been able to subdue the subject, and finish handcuffing, and avoided the incident, but that's not what happened.

We cannot overlook the fact that female police are GENERALLY not as strong or big as the men they attempt to apprehend.
                              There were multiple officers there, though, I believe. And even most male officers would struggle with a panicking criminal trying to escape. Taser would likely be engaged anyway

but sure, I do take your point and personally think that's a problem in recent years in both policing and in the military with women. There are certainly a few women who can physically meet the requirements males can, but not many,and unfortunately they'vebeen lowering standards so they can get more women to look "woke"

Comment

There were multiple officers there, though, I believe. And even most male officers would struggle with a panicking criminal trying to escape. Taser would likely be engaged anyway

but sure, I do take your point and personally think that's a problem in recent years in both policing and in the military with women. There are certainly a few women who can physically meet the requirements males can, but not many,and unfortunately they'vebeen lowering standards so they can get more women to look "woke"
                                Yeah, the problem is confounded by the fact that women don't want men rushing in to "help them" because "women are weaker", and the men don't want to look like they are not trusting a woman to do the job that a man would do --- back in my day, we only had one woman police officer and she was a black belt in judo, so I WANTED her on my side!

A criminal, on the other hand, knows that he's more likely to get away from a woman than a man, so... off to the races. I am NOT against women in law enforcement, but I think it's important to deal with the realities.

As Dirty Harry would say, "A man has got to know his limitations". So must a woman.

Comment