Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Yet again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oxmixmudd
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I think that might have been the problem. She responded on instinct without thinking about it in the heat of the moment.
    Maybe - but I also think that may be an over simplification, and to a certain extent a sort of self protective response. Why? We would like to believe that if a person (ourselves) was doing everything 'right', they could not possibly make such a mistake. It makes us feel safer wrt the police, it makes us feel safer in terms of what we could find ourselves accidentally responsible for. So the knee jerk response is to place some sort of blame on her. I think the reality is that just simply is not always the case. Sometimes accidents happen and there is no real fault or culpability wrt the person through whom they happen. She had over 20 years. She was a senior officer. Maybe there were some signs she was slipping, or that she had a problem making careless errors, maybe not. Maybe she did everything exactly like you are supposed to and it just wasn't enough on that day to keep her from making the mistake she made. A little to much fatigue. A distraction whose consequences were not foreseen. The policies of fixed and separated positions for each weapon were designed to help reduce that possibility. But confusion, lack of time to double check things, misperception, these are all part of being human. And none of us is immune to it. It is sobering, and a bit scary, to think that even if we do everything we are supposed to do, we could still be the causal agent (responsible?) for something deadly and/or tragic anyway.
    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-14-2021, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post
    That's what I figured it would be. 2nd degree manslaughter, which applies to negligence in that state. At least they didnt overcharge like they did Chauvin. Likely she'll be found guilty and get the minimum.
    Unless they bow to the pressure of BLM and the like who will want revenge, not justice.

Leave a comment:

• Gondwanaland
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    She will be charged with manslaughter -- sad, but actually, not much other choice. I don't think anybody can realistically believe she meant to kill him -- it's so clear that she was stunned by the fact that she shot him, after yelling "taser".
    That's what I figured it would be. 2nd degree manslaughter, which applies to negligence in that state. At least they didnt overcharge like they did Chauvin. Likely she'll be found guilty and get the minimum.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    She will be charged with manslaughter -- sad, but actually, not much other choice. I don't think anybody can realistically believe she meant to kill him -- it's so clear that she was stunned by the fact that she shot him, after yelling "taser".

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    training where you respond on instinct without having to think about it.
    I think that might have been the problem. She responded on instinct without thinking about it in the heat of the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

He wasn't sitting in his car. He was leaning against it with his hands behind him as the officer was putting on the handcuffs, then he suddenly made a lunge for the door and after a brief wrestling match managed to get himself into the seat before the officer shot him.
    Yes, I meant that he was seated in the vehicle when he was shot. Prior to that, there was the standard "assume the position" process that he forcefully resisted.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And that there was more than an attempt to flee. There was resistance -- a "struggle [that] broke out."

Although, if he was sitting in his car then he didn't attempt to go back to it, so that part was incorrect.
    Yeah, he was, indeed, sitting in his car, but that puts him in control of a potential murder weapon (the vehicle itself) and the possibility that there's a gun under his seat, or next to him, or somewhere else inside. (and I think you may have been the one who pointed out that he could flee in his vehicle and put others - both police and civilians - at great risk)

Police pursuits are incredibly dangerous, and best never to allow one to start.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    And that there was more than an attempt to flee. There was resistance -- a "struggle [that] broke out."

Although, if he was sitting in his car then he didn't attempt to go back to it, so that part was incorrect.
    He wasn't sitting in his car. He was leaning against it with his hands behind him as the officer was putting on the handcuffs, then he suddenly made a lunge for the door and after a brief wrestling match managed to get himself into the seat before the officer shot him.

Leave a comment:

• Mountain Man
    replied
    Placing the taser where you could accidentally draw your firearm instead seems to me to be a pretty boneheaded thing to do.
    I've heard different departments have different protocols. Some say pistol on your dominant hip, taser on your non-dominant; others say pistol on your hip, taser on your leg. But, of course, the most important thing is training, training, training where you respond on instinct without having to think about it. Not sure if this case was a lack of training or simply someone who should have never been on the street.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    So, back on topic...

The Hennepin County medical examiner on Monday evening ruled his manner of death was homicide and said the cause of death was a gunshot wound to the chest.

During a tense press conference, Gannon released the bodycam footage of the incident that showed three officers approaching Wright's car after he had been pulled over for the traffic stop.

The footage showed one officer trying to handcuff Wright as a second officer told him he was being arrested on a warrant. Wright immediately jumped back into his car in an apparent attempt to flee.

A struggle then broke out between the officers and Wright, who was still sitting inside his car.

The female officer could be heard shouting 'Taser!' several times in the moments before she fired her gun. Immediately after, the female officer can be heard saying: 'Holy sh*t. I shot him'. It appears she dropped her gun in the aftermath.

It appears that the police were aware there was an outstanding warrant prior to handcuffing, and the knowledge of the warrant was what initiated the arrest and attempted handcuffing.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    So, back on topic...

The Hennepin County medical examiner on Monday evening ruled his manner of death was homicide and said the cause of death was a gunshot wound to the chest.

During a tense press conference, Gannon released the bodycam footage of the incident that showed three officers approaching Wright's car after he had been pulled over for the traffic stop.

The footage showed one officer trying to handcuff Wright as a second officer told him he was being arrested on a warrant. Wright immediately jumped back into his car in an apparent attempt to flee.

A struggle then broke out between the officers and Wright, who was still sitting inside his car.

The female officer could be heard shouting 'Taser!' several times in the moments before she fired her gun. Immediately after, the female officer can be heard saying: 'Holy sh*t. I shot him'. It appears she dropped her gun in the aftermath.

It appears that the police were aware there was an outstanding warrant prior to handcuffing, and the knowledge of the warrant was what initiated the arrest and attempted handcuffing.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah that always makes me laugh. Gee, maybe you should be in arm's reach before you let them know you are police?
    Or have your partner go around the block and come up from behind.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Which brings us back to the cop shows where they're looking for a specific individual, they spot him, and from a block away, they yell his name....... and the chase is on!
    Yeah that always makes me laugh. Gee, maybe you should be in arm's reach before you let them know you are police?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I'm not even sure she was criminally stupid. Mistakes happen, but at the same time, it was her job to make sure they did not happen. There are so many sad things about this case it's somewhat overwhelming. I am sympathetic to all involved on this one. Not sympathetic to continued rioting after the release of the video. There was no intent here. It was a tragic mistake and both the shooter and the victim made fatal mistakes any one of which avoided would have left the man alive and unharmed.

Though I doubt we'll ever be told, I'd really like to know what, if anything, caused her to have her gun in her hand in the first place. She had just trained a rookie that day IIRC, and knew first hand what could happen if one mixes the two from her involvement in a previous and similar case. So what lapse in protocol, what immediate distraction resulted in her holding a gun instead of a taser. She clearly thought what she had in her hand was a taser.
    Placing the taser where you could accidentally draw your firearm instead seems to me to be a pretty boneheaded thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied
    One of the best police chase scenes ever was Steve McQueen's in Bullit
    There was a Blue Bloods episode where "the Bullitt Mustang" had been in transport, was reported stolen, recovered, etc..... and the Blue Blood cops (including gramps) got a special showing of the original.... great episode!!!

bullit.jfif

Sadly....

Q: On the episode of “Blue Bloods” titled “The Bullitt Mustang,” was the car shown at the end the original Mustang from the movie?

A: Viewers of that episode of the CBS drama will recall that it revolved around the so-called Bullitt Mustang, the car Steve McQueen drove in the 1968 classic Bullitt. In the episode, what was thought to be the car from the movie was in fact a fake, but a second car seen at the show’s end is presented as the real thing.

Unfortunately, according to CBS, that was just some dramatic license. The telecast featured two authentic 1968 Mustangs, but neither is the car from the film. The location and owner of the actual car from the film have been much discussed by car buffs, though I did not see an answer I thought definitive enough to mention here.

Leave a comment: