Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Court Packing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court Packing...

When civil war comes, don't ask why...

Biden creates commission to study packing the Supreme Court

https://www.theblaze.com/news/biden-...-supreme-court

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post

I'm not sure I trust your source.

President Joe Biden on Friday announced a new executive order that will form a commission to study expanding the Supreme Court, fulfilling a campaign promise to progressive activists who demanded the new administration pack the courts in response to President Donald Trump's appointment of Justice Amy Coney Barrett.

If Biden has fulfilled his campaign promise, then he is not obligated to do anything further, like actually pack the court.

If he actually promised to pack the court, then he hasn't fulfilled his promise yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I'm not sure I trust your source.

President Joe Biden on Friday announced a new executive order that will form a commission to study expanding the Supreme Court, fulfilling a campaign promise to progressive activists who demanded the new administration pack the courts in response to President Donald Trump's appointment of Justice Amy Coney Barrett.

If Biden has fulfilled his campaign promise, then he is not obligated to do anything further, like actually pack the court.

If he actually promised to pack the court, then he hasn't fulfilled his promise yet.
      Well since his commission is hand picked what conclusion do you think they will come to? And won't he have to act?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Well since his commission is hand picked what conclusion do you think they will come to? And won't he have to act?
        I don't think he has the votes even in his own party -- I think this is more of PuppetJoe dancing for his far left puppetmasters.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I thought I heard something or other about one of the major dictionaries redefined court packing recently

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well since his commission is hand picked what conclusion do you think they will come to?
            Well, if TFG was still president, I would expect them to all be his cronies and ready to come to whatever conclusion he expected. But I don't think Biden works that way. While I don't see any staunch conservatives on the list, everyone seems to be pretty well qualified.

If I had to guess right now, I'd say they will conclude that there is no constitutional reason that the number of justices could not be increased, but they will stop short of recommending that it be done.

And won't he have to act?
            I don't think Biden has committed himself to following the commission's recommendations.

Comment

I don't think Biden has committed himself to following the commission's recommendations.
              I don't think anything Biden says matters - he's not running the show.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

From what I heard this very large commission is supposed to study the current court system and to summarize their findings. They have also been directed NOT to make any recommendations.

I have also heard that there was another study done a few years ago on the federal courts that did not include SCOTUS, and the conclusion was that the number of courts and judges should be expanded, given the increase in population and court cases over the years while the courts have not increased proportionally.

There are some real issues that should be considered, like term limits or age limits.

From the WH statement on this commission:

President Biden will today issue an executive order forming the Presidential Commission on the Supreme Court of the United States, comprised of a bipartisan group of experts on the Court and the Court reform debate. In addition to legal and other scholars, the Commissioners includes former federal judges and practitioners who have appeared before the Court, as well as advocates for the reform of democratic institutions and of the administration of justice. The expertise represented on the Commission includes constitutional law, history and political science.

The Commission’s purpose is to provide an analysis of the principal arguments in the contemporary public debate for and against Supreme Court reform, including an appraisal of the merits and legality of particular reform proposals. The topics it will examine include the genesis of the reform debate; the Court’s role in the Constitutional system; the length of service and turnover of justices on the Court; the membership and size of the Court; and the Court’s case selection, rules, and practices.

To ensure that the Commission’s report is comprehensive and informed by a diverse spectrum of views, it will hold public meetings to hear the views of other experts, and groups and interested individuals with varied perspectives on the issues it will be examining. The Executive Order directs that the Commission complete its report within 180 days of its first public meeting. This action is part of the Administration’s commitment to closely study measures to improve the federal judiciary, including those that would expand access the court system.

The two co-chairs of this Commission are Bob Bauer, Professor of Practice and Distinguished Scholar in Residence at New York University School of Law and a former White House Counsel, as well as Yale Law School Professor Cristina Rodriguez, former Deputy Assistant Attorney General in the Office of Legal Counsel at the U.S. Department of Justice.
                https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...united-states/

The link provides a list of the commissioners and their qualifications.
                Last edited by kccd; 04-10-2021, 08:50 AM.

Comment

I doubt he still remembers that there even is a commission.

All his keepers need to do is put the recommendations in front of him and tell him to sign. We already know that he'll signs stuff without knowing what it is.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There was a law/constitutional amendment put forward that basically said that any change to the court structure had happen something like 10 years after passing.
                    The goal was to prevent a party from creating vacancies through legislation, and then immediately packing them with partisans of their own. Instead, they could create the vacancies because the caseload demanded it, and then leave it to a future president/congress to fill them.

10 years might be a bit long, I think 5 would be a better fit. It guarantees that the current president's (and congress's) current terms are up by the time the impact hits, minimizing the ability to court pack.

Comment

Such a transparent power grab.

This along with the rest of the executive orders being flung about should scare liberals. They were worried for 4 years that Trump was going to be a dictator and bypass congress and subvert the constitution. Yet he never did. But Biden is. Reminds me of what Hitler did when he was elected. Started using his emergency powers as soon as he was elected. Eliminated any other political parties, took control of the courts. sound familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

This along with the rest of the executive orders being flung about should scare liberals. They were worried for 4 years that Trump was going to be a dictator and bypass congress and subvert the constitution. Yet he never did. But Biden is. Reminds me of what Hitler did when he was elected. Started using his emergency powers as soon as he was elected. Eliminated any other political parties, took control of the courts. sound familiar?
                        When Democrats are out of power they behave like they will never be in power again.

When Democrats are in power they behave like they will never be out of power again.

Once you grasp this truism so much of what they do makes more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          When Democrats are out of power they behave like they will never be in power again.

When Democrats are in power they behave like they will never be out of power again.

Once you grasp this truism so much of what they do makes more sense.
                          It's like I said in another post, Democrats only live in the present. They never consider the long term repercussions of their actions. Like trying to eliminate the filibuster. When they are the minority, that would work against them but they don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

It was not a transparent power grab when McConnell refused to let the Senate consider Merrick Garland for SCOTUS? He refused to do his constitutional duty.

And there were plenty of examples of Trump ignoring or bypassing Congress and the Constitution. Completely ignoring the SCOTUS decision to continue DACA. Seeking foreign assistance for an election. Doing an end run around the confirmation process by appointing "acting" agency heads, some of whom were not eligible for those positions. Accepting foreign money (emoluments) paid to his businesses.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

It was not a transparent power grab when McConnell refused to let the Senate consider Merrick Garland for SCOTUS? He refused to do his constitutional duty.

And there were plenty of examples of Trump ignoring or bypassing Congress and the Constitution. Completely ignoring the SCOTUS decision to continue DACA. Seeking foreign assistance for an election. Doing an end run around the confirmation process by appointing "acting" agency heads, some of whom were not eligible for those positions. Accepting foreign money (emoluments) paid to his businesses.
                              Here's a simple question.

Do you think that the democrats would be setting a good precedent if they passed legislation to create SCOTUS vacancies, and then filled them with judges that they believe would support their legislation?

Remember, if they go down this path, they let a genie out of a bottle that WILL be used by the republicans when they are in power.

Do you think this is a good precedent to set?

Comment