Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    It could be rather hit and miss. Yet certain sketches and themes still stand out as hilarious for me. The films were also the team at their best, despite a couple of [in my opinion] weak moments in The Meaning of Life.

For me, while the surrealism of that sketch was funny, among my favourites will always be the Northern Playwright. For anyone with a knowledge of the writings of D H Lawrence and other "working class" novelists/playwrghts it is hilarious. I also have it on good authority from a friend who is Yorkshire born and bred that Graham Chapman captured the regional Yorkshire accent perfectly.

There is also this particular personal favourite. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i21OJ8SkBMQ&t=1s
    Having been hard of hearing most of my life, which causes me to pay acute attention to accents and pronunciations, as well as a fan of various Britcoms1 I'm pretty good at detecting the source of a number of British accents -- if given sufficient time.

Around 2000 I worked with an English woman and for nearly six months I tried to place her accent. At various times I had here all over the blasted island. Finally, one day I told her that I thought she was from the northern part of the country but not the far north, and her accent was definitely not Liverpool and didn't seem Yorkish so I figured she was likely from Manchester. The shocked looked on her face confirmed that my guess was right (it was between Manchester and Leeds), and she verified it when she said she grew up a couple miles outside the city.

1 such as Are You Being Served?, Benny Hill, Fawlty Towers, Waiting For God, Blackadder, The Young Ones. (with the last, it is a good thing I started with the second season or I'd have never watched it in that the first season sucked) and later entries like Keeping Up Appearances and Absolutely Fabulous

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• A favorite film of mine is the original Whistle Down The Wind. Admittedly, there are a few moments where the accents are a bit difficult for me, but my family is completely lost with it. My wife says she can't understand anything they are saying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        A favorite film of mine is the original Whistle Down The Wind. Admittedly, there are a few moments where the accents are a bit difficult for me, but my family is completely lost with it. My wife says she can't understand anything they are saying.
        A lot of my friends never understood my attraction to Britcoms basically because they complained they could hardly understand what they were saying.

But as long as you enunciate, I'm pretty good at cutting through accents.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Having been hard of hearing most of my life, which causes me to pay acute attention to accents and pronunciations, as well as a fan of various Britcoms1 I'm pretty good at detecting the source of a number of British accents -- if given sufficient time.
          You might find it harder than you think if you ever lived there. There are numerous accents even within one area, the south west has a huge range so forget what you hear on Poldark. Likewise the North East accent collectively referred to by outsiders as Geordie has at least seven different distinct regional variations within the space of around 50 km.

And don't ever call a Wearsider a Geordie.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          1 such as Are You Being Served?, Benny Hill, Fawlty Towers, Waiting For God, Blackadder, The Young Ones. (with the last, it is a good thing I started with the second season or I'd have never watched it in that the first season sucked) and later entries like Keeping Up Appearances and Absolutely Fabulous
          Sit-coms are a peculiar thing. Some can be hilarious, Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, as well as [some] Blackaddder and Ab Fab.

However, there are others that play to the joke or where stereotypical characters are played for the laugh, and that never works for me.

Among the British outlay I prefer comic and/or absurdist dramas such as Graham Linehan's Black Books and Father Ted, Jennifer Saunders' Jam and Jerusalem [aka Clatterford in the USA] and Mackenzie Crook's The Detectorists. That last has been a life-saver over lock-down.

Oh, and of course from the USA Silicon Valley.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Sit-coms are a peculiar thing. Some can be hilarious, Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones, as well as [some] Blackaddder and Ab Fab.

However, there are others that play to the joke or where stereotypical characters are played for the laugh, and that never works for me.

Among the British outlay I prefer comic and/or absurdist dramas such as Graham Linehan's Black Books and Father Ted, Jennifer Saunders' Jam and Jerusalem [aka Clatterford in the USA] and Mackenzie Crook's The Detectorists. That last has been a life-saver over lock-down.

Oh, and of course from the USA Silicon Valley.
            Fortunately for us over here on this side of the pond, we tend to get a lot more of the better shows than we do of the "dross." We generally get the shows that at least have a few seasons which might have something to do with it.

And it may be heretical for me to say this but I much prefer Atkinson as Blackadder than I do as Mr. Bean.

Comment

While on holiday in Vienna some years ago we attended Sunday Mass at the Stephansdom because it was a Haydn Mass with the Vienna Boys Choir accompanying. We did not partake in the religious service - we were there purely for the music.
              I used to sit on Rochester Cathedral during choir practice. Brilliant.

Comment

Fortunately for us over here on this side of the pond, we tend to get a lot more of the better shows than we do of the "dross." We generally get the shows that at least have a few seasons which might have something to do with it.
                If you like absurdist humour and a touch of Theatre of Cruelty watch Black Books.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                And it may be heretical for me to say this but I much prefer Atkinson as Blackadder than I do as Mr. Bean.
                I remember him from his early days when he appeared with Pamela Stephenson, Mel Smith, and Griff Rhys Jones in Not The Nine O'Clock News - a satirical sketch show they all wrote and performed. The reference was to the BBC evening news which, during the week, was broadcast at nine o'clock.

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

If you like absurdist humour and a touch of Theatre of Cruelty watch Black Books.

I remember him from his early days when he appeared with Pamela Stephenson, Mel Smith, and Griff Rhys Jones in Not The Nine O'Clock News - a satirical sketch show they all wrote and performed. The reference was to the BBC evening news which, during the week, was broadcast at nine o'clock.

I do possess a rather dark sense of humor so if I ever come across it I'll give it a try.

Comment

I do possess a rather dark sense of humor so if I ever come across it I'll give it a try.
                    You may find some episodes of Black Books on Youtube.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You may find some episodes of Black Books on Youtube.
                      I loathe watching movies or TV programs on my computer. Even though I have a good sized monitor my TV is far more suitable. But thanks anyways.

Comment

I loathe watching movies or TV programs on my computer. Even though I have a good sized monitor my TV is far more suitable. But thanks anyways.
                        If you have a television that is compatible with using WiFi you can get the best of both worlds.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment