Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince Philip has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace announces

Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

The prince married Princess Elizabeth in 1947, five years before she became Queen, and was the longest-serving royal consort in British history.

The couple had four children, eight grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

A statement from Buckingham Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle."
    Link

He died this morning. Unlike when the Queen dies, there is unlikely to be huge ceremony on the lead up to his funeral 10 days from now (though the funeral itself will be ceremonious).

How it will all happen in Covid is an interesting question, however.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      He died this morning. Unlike when the Queen dies, there is unlikely to be huge ceremony on the lead up to his funeral 10 days from now (though the funeral itself will be ceremonious).

How it will all happen in Covid is an interesting question, however.
      An rich old man who has spent most of his life in luxury and idleness dies. The human aspect is sad - an old lady losing her husband but so many couples, young and old, suffer that tragedy.

I suppose the British tax payers can be grateful they have one less idle scrounger to pay for out of the public purse.

I daresay it will also shift the populist gaze from Northern Ireland.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

An rich old man who has spent most of his life in luxury and idleness dies. The human aspect is sad - an old lady losing her husband but so many couples, young and old, suffer that tragedy.

I suppose the British tax payers can be grateful they have one less idle scrounger to pay for out of the public purse.

"A"

Comment

The last real man in England...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Quite, though we'll be paying for the funeral in about 10 days time, which will be big even though he didn't want 'any fuss'. Of course this is relative.

I wonder if there's a German word for feeling general sympathy for someone dying (and sympathy for family and friends who lost someone they liked) whilst at the same time dreading the mawkish sentimentality (and scrubbing of flaws) that will go along with it. There seems to be a German word or phrase for most things!

Comment

Perhaps Phillip will get his wish and come back as a virus that wipes out the surplus population. Oh, wait.......

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/philip...-gaffe-139041/

A sad day for his family, of course, as the death of a loved one always is.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Quite, though we'll be paying for the funeral in about 10 days time, which will be big even though he didn't want 'any fuss'. Of course this is relative.

I wonder if there's a German word for feeling general sympathy for someone dying (and sympathy for family and friends who lost someone they liked) whilst at the same time dreading the mawkish sentimentality (and scrubbing of flaws) that will go along with it. There seems to be a German word or phrase for most things!
                I would say her general disdain almost borders on schadenfreude. Even if there's no hint of pleasure, there's a general tactlessness to her comments.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  Perhaps Phillip will get his wish and come back as a virus that wipes out the surplus population. Oh, wait.......

A sad day for his family, of course, as the death of a loved one always is.
                  It appears that the higher raking royals have some form of time travel...

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

It's funny, if someone like Charles Manson had said something like that, we'd say "Wow, that's insane. But I guess par for the course based on the psycho that he is." If someone like Philip says it, we just laugh and handwave it away "Oh, those silly royals and their gaffes."

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

It's funny, if someone like Charles Manson had said something like that, we'd say "Wow, that's insane. But I guess par for the course based on the psycho that he is." If someone like Philip says it, we just laugh and handwave it away "Oh, those silly royals and their gaffes."
                      That is why I always like him - never politically correct...
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

That is why I always like him - never politically correct...
                        But he was talking about wiping out the global population; echoes of that "population control" obsession you hear from elites like Gates and Philip (and btw, Philips obviously comes from that era when eugenics was a sweeping movement across the western world).

That's more than just not being PC. That's what you'd normally call being a sociopath if it were anyone else other than a royal elitist.

Comment

How can there be a large funeral with all the social distancing still in place?

I cannot think of a word or phrase that precisely encapsulates all those feelings.

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I would say her general disdain almost borders on schadenfreude. Even if there's no hint of pleasure, there's a general tactlessness to her comments.
                          I am permitted to show disdain. He happens to have been one of ours. His parents came from the families of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg and Hesse Darmstadt.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

He was a racist in a largely racist family. Do not forget Elizabeth's uncle Edward VIII the Nazi sympathiser and Philip's own brothers-in-law who were Nazis. His mother seems to have been the exception .

His mother-in-law was a racist old drunk despite being regularly depicted in the British popular press as the nation's favourite granny.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I still think it's amazing that he was in Tokyo Bay just 200 yards or so from the USS Missouri, watching the surrender of the Japanese Empire.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment