Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mr. Executive Order and Chief at it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Right, the worse school shooting in the US was done with two very generic pistols.
    When Cain killed his brother, Abel, he didn't need no stinkin firearm.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      "Ghost guns" have been around probably longer than any of us have been alive and are impossible to regulate. You can make a simple one-shot zip gun using common household items, and with the advent of 3D printers, such guns are becoming more sophisticated and reliable.
      On multiple occasions I've brought up how Afghan tribesmen have a centuries-old tradition of manufacturing firearms up in isolated mountain villages, including making copies of the most sophisticated fully automatic military models, using techniques that date back many thousands of years.

And with 3D tech we are looking at multi-shot handguns made entirely out of plastic except for thin disposable/replaceable metal barrels you place in the plastic in the very near future

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        You mean fully automatic weapons which are already illegal
        I mean semi-automatics with large magazines - though there are some laws on the books to help. And mostly I mean making sure existing laws are enforced, loopholes to background checks are closed, and there exists some sort of ongoing requirement to proof you maintain that eligibility. We need to make it hard for criminals or the insane to get their hands on guns or to keep their hands on guns, especially guns that can easily kill a large number of people. Some of that need is made worse by the continued failing morality and decency of the general population. But that is another issue - the need exists regardless. We are the most or one of the most violent first world countries when it comes to firearm deaths, and that is because we don't have enough controls on gun ownership.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

I am very glad he is doing something and not the continued nothing - though I tend to think so far it's mostly symbolic.

I like shooting guns, but we need real and effective controls on who can have them. And there is no need weapons whose only purpose is killing as many as possible as fast as possible be in civilian hands. Not without some sort of periodic and rigorous certification and psych evaluation anyway.

Controlling access to hand made weapons is just going to get harder and harder. I see licensing in the future for 3-d printers and AI driven fail safes like on Star Trek (they can't use replicators to create weapons) with fairly stiff penalties for hacking around them - especially if such hacks were used to generate weapons.
          And that "symbolism" and ant-2A rhetoric you lefties have been espousing since the Obama days has resulted in a booming gun industry and record gun sales across the nation. Nice job.

Comment

I mean semi-automatics with large magazines - though there are some laws on the books to help. And mostly I mean making sure existing laws are enforced, loopholes to background checks are closed, and there exists some sort of ongoing requirement to proof you maintain that eligibility. We need to make it hard for criminals or the insane to get their hands on guns or to keep their hands on guns, especially guns that can easily kill a large number of people. Some of that need is made worse by the continued failing morality and decency of the general population. But that is another issue - the need exists regardless. We are the most or one of the most violent first world countries when it comes to firearm deaths, and that is because we don't have enough controls on gun ownership.
            Enforcement has been a major problem. Somewhere around here I posted statistics showing how prosecutions for federal gun law violations dropped under Clinton[1] and Obama while at the same time they argued for more federal laws that they seem disinclined to enforce any way.

1. who's Administration never showed a whole lot of interest in enforcing the slew of gun control laws that they got enacted into law.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

And that "symbolism" and ant-2A rhetoric you lefties have been espousing since the Obama days has resulted in a booming gun industry and record gun sales across the nation. Nice job.
              There used to be a poster at a local gun shop with Obama's picture and the title "Firearm Salesman of the Year".
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Enforcement has been a major problem. Somewhere around here I posted statistics showing how prosecutions for federal gun law violations dropped under Clinton[1] and Obama while at the same time they argued for more federal laws that they seem disinclined to enforce any way.

1. who's Administration never showed a whole lot of interest in enforcing the slew of gun control laws that they got enacted into law.
                Yep. If anything we need to enforce laws already in place. And if someone on the left wants to actually propose some sensible gun laws, like increasing sentencing or adding a modifier for crimes committed using a gun, I'm all for it. But they wont because they want nothing sensible, they just want to strip law abiding citizens of their rights.

Comment

Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Yep. If anything we need to enforce laws already in place. And if someone on the left wants to actually propose some sensible gun laws, like increasing sentencing or adding a modifier for crimes committed using a gun, I'm all for it. But they wont because they want nothing sensible, they just want to strip law abiding citizens of their rights.
                  It is almost enough to make one wonder if the refusal to enforce what they pass is an intentional strategy intent on showing that the "current laws" aren't enough and we need increasingly stricter restrictions until they can pretend to throw their hands up in despair and proclaim confiscation (likely via giving us our own money to "buy" them) is the only option left.

Comment

It is almost enough to make one wonder if the refusal to enforce what they pass is an intentional strategy intent on showing that the "current laws" aren't enough and we need increasingly stricter restrictions until they can pretend to throw their hands up in despair and proclaim confiscation (likely via giving us our own money to "buy" them) is the only option left.
                    Are the Democrats really that insidious?
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

Any move to restrict gun ownership will result in increased gun sales prior to it's implementation. The issue is the reluctance to put filters on gun ownership that pull back on the insane slaughter we have now. The 2nd amendment I believe is no longer practical if taken literally and applied to the types of firearms available today. When it was created, we were still dealing with single load rifles that could maybe fire a round or two per minute (I will not go down rabbit trails debating how many seconds it took to reload in 1776). We didn't even have a metallic cartridge load yet. Now we have legal weapons that can accurately fire multiple rounds per second - as fast as someone can squeeze a trigger and that can be reload by just grabbing a magazine of 10 or more bullets and sliding out the old and pushing in the new.

That said it's not likely to be repealed anytime soon, so we need as much control over ownership as can be legally administered in light of its existence.
                      Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-08-2021, 01:34 PM.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

That is perhaps an issue worth discussing, but not as an excuse for doing nothing about what is going on in terms of the continued progression of mass shootings and gun violence across this country.

Comment

That kind of speculation doesn't help at all. We need to solve the problem as a people, not just point fingers and incite more anger which will result in yet more gun violence..

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

There used to be a poster at a local gun shop with Obama's picture and the title "Firearm Salesman of the Year".
                            Yeah, that kinda went viral -- and every time the Dems do this saber-rattling, the gun and ammo sales go through the roof.

(never bring a saber to a gunfight - unless it's a Star Wars Light Saber!)

light saber.jfif
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Any move to restrict gun ownership will result in increased gun sales prior to it's implementation. The issue is the reluctance to put filters on gun ownership that pull back on the insane slaughter we have now. The 2nd amendment I believe is no longer practical if taken literally and applied to the types of firearms available today. When it was created, we were still dealing with single load rifles that could maybe fire a round or two per minute (I will not go down rabbit trails debating how many seconds it took to reload in 1776). We didn't even have a metallic cartridge load yet. Now we have legal weapons that can accurately fire multiple rounds per second - as fast as someone can squeeze a trigger and that can be reload by just grabbing a magazine of 10 or more bullets and sliding out the old and pushing in the new.

That said it's not likely to be repealed anytime soon, so we need as much control over ownership as can be legally administered in light of its existence.
                              I know you lefties love to use that canard, but you miss the point and context of 2A. It wasn't about hunting, it was about an armed society (the revolutionaries) having protection against a potentially rogue government (Britain). Yes they had archaic weaponry (and canon balls that caused quite a bit of destruction), to match the same weapons their enemies had. Their potential enemies they needed weapons to protect against had the same weaponry. That's the whole point and context of 2A. And please spare me the spiel about government having missiles and bombs because we all know that's not how a tyrannical government would attempt stop a nation of revolutionaries in the US if that were to ever happen.

Comment

as I said in another thread. These so called "ghost guns" that Biden mentioned are not something you can just buy online. You would have to make them yourself. The kits you can buy online use lower receivers that regulated and contain serial numbers. In order to buy one you have to have it, along with the various other pieces sent to a licensed FFL local gun store and fill out the same paperwork and pass the same background check as if you were buying an assembled gun. The only thing you could buy without a serial number would be if you bought a solid blank receiver, which you would have to mill out and machine yourself to make a working receiver. Meaning you would be a gunsmith or some such expert.

And pistol braces are something the ATF mandated be used on AR Pistols in place of shoulder stocks because they didn't want them being used like a rifle. WIthout them, the pistol, which has a 10 inch barrel, is harder to control meaning you can shoot something or someone you don't intend to. So banning them makes the gun less safe than before. Biden claiming to want to ban them to make the guns "less accurate" would be like if he decided to ban gun sights to make them less accurate. Stupid. If you are using a gun, it should be as under control as possible to prevent accidentally shooting someone you didn't intend to.

Comment