Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should the US participate in the 2022 Beijing Olympics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the US participate in the 2022 Beijing Olympics?

The question is coming up given the discussion about Georgia, even though I think the situations are entirely different. This paragraph from ESPN.com today is a howler:

Rights groups have met with the International Olympic Committee and have been told the Olympic body must stay politically "neutral." They have been told by the IOC that China has given "assurances'' about human rights conditions.
    "Assurances", sort of like how China has been denying any ill treatment of Uyghurs? This reminds me of the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, when Germany insisted it wasn't doing anything wrong, and temporarily cleaned up everything to make Germany look like a nice place for Jews during the games.

The US should boycott. They won't, because everybody gave Carter grief for boycotting in Moscow, but he was right then as well.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...s-allies-world
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

After what we've been facing for the passed year, I don't know why it's even a discussion. It would be like throwing a party at Spahn Ranch after the Manson murders.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      The question is coming up given the discussion about Georgia, even though I think the situations are entirely different. This paragraph from ESPN.com today is a howler:

"Assurances", sort of like how China has been denying any ill treatment of Uyghurs? This reminds me of the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin, when Germany insisted it wasn't doing anything wrong, and temporarily cleaned up everything to make Germany look like a nice place for Jews during the games.

The US should boycott. They won't, because everybody gave Carter grief for boycotting in Moscow, but he was right then as well.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...s-allies-world
      If those who feel that what was done to Georgia wrt the All-Star game was legitimate then there should only be one possible response for them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Do you really think China Joe is going to do anything that would upset his benefactors?
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Meh, the Olympic games are a joke.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Olympics are incredibly political, and always have been. And (IMO) boring to boot. If they weren't held at all, I wouldn't notice.

Comment

The Olympics used to be a lot more fun when it happened every four years and featured a bunch of unknown amateur athletes. It lost a lot of what made it special when they split the summer and winter events so it happens every two-years instead. These days, it's just another sporting event like the World Series or the Super Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                The Olympics used to be a lot more fun when it happened every four years and featured a bunch of unknown amateur athletes. It lost a lot of what made it special when they split the summer and winter events so it happens every two-years instead. These days, it's just another sporting event like the World Series or the Super Bowl.
                And to say nothing of the fact that professional athletes can participate in the games (basketball and hockey are mainly what I remember). But since I haven't paid attention to the Olympics for years that may have shifted back agian.
                We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

I think the US Men's Basketball "Dream Team" was the beginning of the end.

Comment

The main point of the OP I think was missed. It doesn't really matter whether or not we care about the Olympics. Obviously china cares and to boycott would be an indictment against what the world has had to endure for a year based on their negligence (or malfeasance).

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      If those who feel that what was done to Georgia wrt the All-Star game was legitimate then there should only be one possible response for them.
                      I see them as entirely separate issues. I don't support the MLB boycott in Georgia, but do support an Olympic boycott.
                      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post

I see them as entirely separate issues. I don't support the MLB boycott in Georgia, but do support an Olympic boycott.
                        I'm saying that those who do support the MLB boycott should also support an Olympic boycott to retain any sense of consistency.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Also, can we avoid turning this into a "I don't care about sports/the Olympics" thread? This is a very real issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                            The Olympics are incredibly political, and always have been. And (IMO) boring to boot. If they weren't held at all, I wouldn't notice.
                            I quit watching when they started spending nearly ten minutes doing a background bio on someone and how they overcame some sort of adversity to triumph and make it to the Olympics etc., and then watch them perform for less than a minute and likely never hear from them again. Then on to the next athlete/event and rinse and repeat

ETA: Sorry writing this while you were posting the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                              Yeh. Curling is the only thing I've watched out of the past two decades of summer and winter Olympics.

But the idea that we would even consider going to the Olympics in China is mindboggling considering the Uyghur genocide. Sadly, though, we've seen Disney, Blizzard, NBA, MLB kowtow to China over the last couple years as if nothing is happening, so I suspect China Joe will take us there gleefully.
                              Last edited by Gondwanaland; 04-08-2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment