Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Should the US participate in the 2022 Beijing Olympics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Also, can we avoid turning this into a "I don't care about sports/the Olympics" thread? This is a very real issue.
    If no other reason a boycott is a must lest we have to endure our western MSM incessantly gushing over how great the CCP is because you know that would be inevitable. Seeing Bob Costas lick their boots would be disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I'm saying that those who do support the MLB boycott should also support an Olympic boycott to retain any sense of consistency.
      Unless..... unless those same folks are actually okay with what China has been doing to the Uyghurs......

Comment

I wonder if they'll round up all the African students living in the area just before the Olympics and keep them in detention or home confinement until they're over like they did the last time because, well you know, black people are criminals and they wanted the criminal elements off the streets

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post
          The main point of the OP I think was missed. It doesn't really matter whether or not we care about the Olympics. Obviously china cares and to boycott would be an indictment against what the world has had to endure for a year based on their negligence (or malfeasance).
          I addressed that earlier: "Do you really think China Joe is going to do anything that would upset his benefactors?"

I mean, of course it would be sensible to make a statement and boycott, but I can see Joe and the sports entertainment industry cozying up to China like the NBA and MLB have done.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I support the boycott of the Olympics for many more reasons than just consistency. China is a walking talking human rights violation. The list is far too long to enumerate here.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              I support the boycott of the Olympics for many more reasons than just consistency. China is a walking talking human rights violation. The list is far too long to enumerate here.

It isn't just the Uyghurs.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment