Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

It Took A Canadian Pastor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

In regards to Canadian laws, the question I ask myself is this: is this law causing me to sin? Following the governments' COVID restrictions does not cause me to sin, so I accept them.

If Canada outlawed Christianity, then I would speak up. I see no sign of that happening.
    "speak up?" That's a dodge. And this is hypothetical. I never said it was happening, although this seems to be coming close.

Would you disobey and go to an underground church? If the Canadian police went around arresting Christians and they asked you if you are a Christian would you say, "Yes!" or "Who me? No sir"

Comment

The Lutheran denomination I belong to has a book we are quite fond of. One of the sections of the book reads is as follows:

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

Do you denounce this passage, the writer of this passage, and the book it comes from as evil blasphemy because the passage tells Christians to follow the law?
      When that government goes against God's commandments, which one do you obey?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Would you disobey and go to an underground church? If the Canadian police went around arresting Christians and they asked you if you are a Christian would you say, "Yes!" or "Who me? No sir"
        It is easy enough for me to say now that I wouldn't deny Christ, but until I am put in that situation I can't say how I will react.

Peter denied Christ three times. I don't claim to be a better Christian than Peter.

Most likely, I wouldn't be put into this situation, since I would have died in the brutal Canadian civil war which preceded the formation of a government which made Christianity illegal.
        "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
        "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

When that government goes against God's commandments, which one do you obey?
          I obey God's commandments, of course.

Which of God's commandments are you accusing me of breaking? I admit that I have broken them all, I'm just curious to know which commandments you think I am currently breaking.

Comment

I obey God's commandments, of course.

Which of God's commandments are you accusing me of breaking? I admit that I have broken them all, I'm just curious to know which commandments you think I am currently breaking.
            You seem to think that the verse you quoted trumps obeying God. The verse about obeying government assumes that the government is obeying God, who put them in power. Not all government does that. That is why we end up with totalitarian governments and government where Christianity has to go underground like China and in the old Soviet Union. When the government goes against God's commandments and interferes with our worshiping God and obeying him, then we are to obey God and defy the government.

One such is:

Hebrews:
            24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

When the Jews and Romans were trying to stamp out Christianity in the first century, did they obey the Romans or did they keep meeting in homes?

The situation with the Canadian government arresting Pastors who refuse to give up meeting together to worship is very close to the same thing. It is interfering with their right to worship God as we want to and as he tells us to. They can give guidelines and rules, but the government has no right to arrest people who wish to gather together to worship. The risk is their own. People are still gathering together for other reasons, like sporting events, protests, restaurants, etc. And at this point in time most people have the opportunity to get a vaccine. Especially the older folk who are the most at risk and probably make up much of these church memberships.

Comment

It is easy enough for me to say now that I wouldn't deny Christ, but until I am put in that situation I can't say how I will react.
              I appreciate this honesty.

Peter denied Christ three times. I don't claim to be a better Christian than Peter.

Most likely, I wouldn't be put into this situation, since I would have died in the brutal Canadian civil war which preceded the formation of a government which made Christianity illegal.
              This silliness, not so much.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The situation with the Canadian government arresting Pastors who refuse to give up meeting together to worship is very close to the same thing.
                My congregation is still meeting on Sunday morning, and our pastor hasn't been arrested. Why do you think this is?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  This silliness, not so much.
                  Why silliness? Do you believe I am being silly because I don't claim to have a stronger faith than Peter? Do you believe that I am being silly because I am willing to die defending Christ's church on Earth?

Comment

My congregation is still meeting on Sunday morning, and our pastor hasn't been arrested. Why do you think this is?
                    You tell me. Maybe someone needs to report your church to the government?

Comment

Why silliness? Do you believe I am being silly because I don't claim to have a stronger faith than Peter? Do you believe that I am being silly because I am willing to die defending Christ's church on Earth?
                      The silliness to which this remark was a direct response. Your goofy "I would have died in the brutal Canadian civil war which preceded the formation of a government which made Christianity illegal".

There doesn't have to be a "brutal Canadian civil war" --- these things usually come in in phases and stages, never a shot being fired. If you're waiting for a "brutal Canadian civil war", you'll totally miss the signs that the landscape is changing before your very own sleepy eyes.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The silliness to which this remark was a direct response. Your goofy "I would have died in the brutal Canadian civil war which preceded the formation of a government which made Christianity illegal".

There doesn't have to be a "brutal Canadian civil war" --- these things usually come in in phases and stages, never a shot being fired. If you're waiting for a "brutal Canadian civil war", you'll totally miss the signs that the landscape is changing before your very own sleepy eyes.
                        yep. Canada already can tell preachers what they can preach. Wasn't one pastor fined or something for preaching against homosexuality?

eta: apparently after a 10 year battle he finally won.
                        https://adflegal.org/blog/religious-...-express-views

Another case from last year:
                        https://www.christianpost.com/voices...ghborhood.html
                        Last edited by Sparko; 04-30-2021, 02:21 PM.

Comment

yep. Canada already can tell preachers what they can preach. Wasn't one pastor fined or something for preaching against homosexuality?

eta: apparently after a 10 year battle he finally won.
                          https://adflegal.org/blog/religious-...-express-views

Another case from last year:
                          https://www.christianpost.com/voices...ghborhood.html
                          I think this will be part of the Great Delusion --- people will be looking for some kind of open war, but Satan will be robbing them blind without them every realizing it.

Comment

I think this will be part of the Great Delusion --- people will be looking for some kind of open war, but Satan will be robbing them blind without them every realizing it.
                            Like boiling a frog.

Comment

The Lutheran denomination I belong to has a book we are quite fond of. One of the sections of the book reads is as follows:

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

Do you denounce this passage, the writer of this passage, and the book it comes from as evil blasphemy because the passage tells Christians to follow the law?
                              You seem to delight in flatulating out these retarded challenges, and as far as I'm concerned, you have not so far received an appropriate response.

I'm your huckleberry.

-- If you believe Caesar should be allowed to demand we disobey Heb. 10:25, you are an enemy of Christ.

-- If you believe Caesar should be allowed to demand we not practice Rom. 16:16, you are an enemy of Christ.

-- If you believe Caesar should be allowed to prohibit the effective practice of 1 Cor. 14:26, you are an enemy of Christ.

-- If you believe Caesar should be allowed to prohibit the effective practice of Col. 3:16, you are an enemy of Christ.

-- If you believe Caesar should be allowed to prohibit the practice of Psa. 148-150, you are an enemy of Christ.

For any fools who believe disobedient Christians are demanding "special privileges," or are being "unloving" -- Standing up for our own rights is standing up for the rights of ALL.

Maranatha. May the Righteous Judge come quickly.

Selah and amen.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                                If you believe... you are an enemy of Christ.
                                Are you making the accusation, before God, that I am an enemy of Christ?

Comment