Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's contribution shell game scam to to gouge his supporters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump's contribution shell game scam to to gouge his supporters

Trump's scam to bleed contributors of their money sometimes low income.

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-steered-supporters-unwitting-donations-142130038.html

How Trump Steered Supporters Into Unwitting Donations

Shane Goldmacher
    Sun, April 4, 2021

Stacy Blatt was in hospice care last September listening to Rush Limbaugh’s dire warnings about how badly Donald Trump’s campaign needed money when he went online and chipped in everything he could: $500.

It was a big sum for a 63-year-old battling cancer and living in Kansas City on less than $1,000 per month. But that single contribution — federal records show it was his first ever — quickly multiplied. Another $500 was withdrawn the next day, then $500 the next week and every week through mid-October, without his knowledge — until Blatt’s bank account had been depleted and frozen. When his utility and rent payments bounced, he called his brother, Russell Blatt, for help.

What the Blatts soon discovered was $3,000 in withdrawals by the Trump campaign in less than 30 days. They called their bank and said they thought they were victims of fraud.

“It felt,” Russell Blatt said, “like it was a scam.”

But what the Blatts believed was duplicity was actually an intentional scheme to boost revenues by the Trump campaign and the for-profit company that processed its online donations, WinRed. Facing a cash crunch and getting badly outspent by the Democrats, the campaign had begun last September to set up recurring donations by default for online donors for every week until the election.

Contributors had to wade through a fine-print disclaimer and manually uncheck a box to opt out.

As the election neared, the Trump team made that disclaimer increasingly opaque, an investigation by The New York Times showed. It introduced a second prechecked box, known internally as a “money bomb,” that doubled a person’s contribution. Eventually its solicitations featured lines of text in bold and capital letters that overwhelmed the opt-out language.

The tactic ensnared scores of unsuspecting Trump loyalists — retirees, military veterans, nurses and even experienced political operatives. Soon, banks and credit card companies were inundated with fraud complaints from the president’s own supporters about donations they had not intended to make, sometimes for thousands of dollars.

© Copyright Original Source

I believe he may be forced to return much of these contributions.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Trump's scam to bleed contributors of their money sometimes low income.

Source: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-steered-supporters-unwitting-donations-142130038.html

How Trump Steered Supporters Into Unwitting Donations

Shane Goldmacher
    Sun, April 4, 2021

Stacy Blatt was in hospice care last September listening to Rush Limbaugh’s dire warnings about how badly Donald Trump’s campaign needed money when he went online and chipped in everything he could: $500.

It was a big sum for a 63-year-old battling cancer and living in Kansas City on less than $1,000 per month. But that single contribution — federal records show it was his first ever — quickly multiplied. Another $500 was withdrawn the next day, then $500 the next week and every week through mid-October, without his knowledge — until Blatt’s bank account had been depleted and frozen. When his utility and rent payments bounced, he called his brother, Russell Blatt, for help.

What the Blatts soon discovered was $3,000 in withdrawals by the Trump campaign in less than 30 days. They called their bank and said they thought they were victims of fraud.

“It felt,” Russell Blatt said, “like it was a scam.”

But what the Blatts believed was duplicity was actually an intentional scheme to boost revenues by the Trump campaign and the for-profit company that processed its online donations, WinRed. Facing a cash crunch and getting badly outspent by the Democrats, the campaign had begun last September to set up recurring donations by default for online donors for every week until the election.

Contributors had to wade through a fine-print disclaimer and manually uncheck a box to opt out.

As the election neared, the Trump team made that disclaimer increasingly opaque, an investigation by The New York Times showed. It introduced a second prechecked box, known internally as a “money bomb,” that doubled a person’s contribution. Eventually its solicitations featured lines of text in bold and capital letters that overwhelmed the opt-out language.

The tactic ensnared scores of unsuspecting Trump loyalists — retirees, military veterans, nurses and even experienced political operatives. Soon, banks and credit card companies were inundated with fraud complaints from the president’s own supporters about donations they had not intended to make, sometimes for thousands of dollars.

© Copyright Original Source

I believe he may be forced to return much of these contributions.
    “BuT He dIdn’T TaKe A SaLArY!”

Comment

I'm mildly amused at all the build up to the criminality, then "The tactic ensnared scores of unsuspecting Trump loyalists".

"Scores"? Wow.

And, yes, if it is as reported, this stinks out loud.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Seems similar to Act blue.

https://truthout.org/articles/still-...lue-blues/?amp

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          "Scores"? Wow.
          "The sheer magnitude of the money involved is staggering for politics. In the final two and a half months of 2020, the Trump campaign, the Republican National Committee and their shared accounts issued more than 530,000 refunds worth $64.3 million to online donors..."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/03/u...donations.html
          "My favorite color in the alphabet is three." - Donald J. Trump
          "The 'J' in my middle name stands for 'Jenius'" - Donald J. Trump

Comment

Shunyadragon, you seem obsessed with Donald Trump. He is no longer President. Let it go.

Concentrate on Joe Biden who is president now. Biden has a lot of problems. Concentrate on them.

How about spending some time on past Presidents of the US who have made mistakes? This article should start you off.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opini...210-story.html

Comment

Originally posted by Reepicheep View Post

"The sheer magnitude of the money involved is staggering for politics. In the final two and a half months of 2020, the Trump campaign, the Republican National Committee and their shared accounts issued more than 530,000 refunds worth $64.3 million to online donors..."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/03/u...donations.html
              Yes, politicians sucking money like drunken sailors guzzling booze in a free bar. I'm stunned. Shocked, and stunned.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                Shunyadragon, you seem obsessed with Donald Trump. He is no longer President. Let it go.

Concentrate on Joe Biden who is president now. Biden has a lot of problems. Concentrate on them.

How about spending some time on past Presidents of the US who have made mistakes? This article should start you off.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opini...210-story.html

I think Shuny stays awake at night worrying that Trump will be POTUS 47.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think Shuny stays awake at night worrying that Trump will be POTUS 47.
                  And I stay awake at night worrying that Biden IS president!!!

Comment

TFG still has complete control of the Republican party. So it would be foolish to forget about him.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                      TFG still has complete control of the Republican party. So it would be foolish to forget about him.
                      I've voted for Democrats in the past, but now I wouldn't and I don't think I have to explain why I wouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                        BlueAnon. OMB is all-powerful and all-knowing and has full control of the GOP and other such political and civil forces at his disposal, and is working behind the scenes to influence policy.

Comment

One thing Democrats never seem to do is think about the consequences of their actions later. They seem to only live in the present. Like when OMB was Prez, they did everything they could to demonize his border policies, stop the wall, categorize the holding facilities as cages, etc. And now that they are in power, their words are coming back to bite them as they have to deal with 10 times the problem that they encouraged.

Same with all of the current changes they are trying to shove through with executive orders and trying to eliminate the filibuster, etc. One day, they will be the minority again, and then their changes will bite them in the rear again.

So, yeah be afraid that Trump might be POTUS again, or that any Republican will be, because one day it will happen and then, karma.

Comment

I've voted for Democrats in the past, but now I wouldn't and I don't think I have to explain why I wouldn't.
                            Funny, I can say exactly the same thing about Republican candidates, with a few exceptions for those who voted to impeach and/or convict.

Comment

Originally posted by seanD View Post

BlueAnon. OMB is all-powerful and all-knowing and has full control of the GOP and other such political and civil forces at his disposal, and is working behind the scenes to influence policy.
                              TFG has limited power now that the GOP has limited power. But of course that could change.

Comment