Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump's contribution shell game scam to to gouge his supporters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seanD View Post

That's just not at all true. Moreover, she's actually in office writing and influencing actual policy.
    It's not true that she holds little power or that conservatives obsess over her? Charles Koch doesn't hold office and he has more influence than AOC.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Are they not free to spend their own money as they see fit?
      They can certainly give their money to Trump. And if they find out later that their intended one time donation turned into a recurring donation that emptied their bank account, then maybe that is what they get for trusting in Trump? Maybe they can get some of it back if they hire a lawyer and push hard enough.

And maybe next time they will read the fine print.
      And find someone trustworthy to trust.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Oh, the problem is you.

No Trump and radical Republicans still supporting Trumps agenda.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

No Trump and radical Republicans still supporting Trumps agenda.
          Swing and a miss.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post
            They can certainly give their money to Trump.
            I'm sure they appreciate your approval.

And if they find out later that their intended one time donation turned into a recurring donation that emptied their bank account, then maybe that is what they get for trusting in Trump? Maybe they can get some of it back if they hire a lawyer and push hard enough.
            It's their money.

And maybe next time they will read the fine print.
            And find someone trustworthy to trust.
            You mean... somebody trustworthy who's running for office?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Are they not free to spend their own money as they see fit?
              True, but the problem was the scam in the fine print.
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Swing and a miss.
                Air ball, no response as usual.

Frank

Comment

Air ball, no response as usual.
                  Yours was the air ball. Swing and a miss yet again. Trump living rent free in your dome!!!
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

True, but the problem was the scam in the fine print.
                    You never heard of Caveat emptor?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

It's not true that she holds little power or that conservatives obsess over her? Charles Koch doesn't hold office and he has more influence than AOC.
                      They need someone to direct the same hatred and fear towards as they did Hillary for so many years. If AOC ever does run for higher office later, she'd have had many years of conspiracy and negative press in the right wing media specifically designed to demonise her.

Comment

You never heard of Caveat emptor?
                        Translation: Trump has hundreds of lawyers supporting his contracts with loop holes and fine print to swindle people for donations, but despite the lawyers he will be forced to return many contributions.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/04/03/trump-campaign-reportedly-forced-to-refund-more-than-122-million-to-donors/?sh=f0ba0cf58a39

Trump Campaign Reportedly Forced To Refund More Than $122 Million To Donors

Former President Donald Trump's reelection campaign issued a staggering sum of $122.7 million in refunds to supporters in 2020, giving back nearly 11% of the money it raised, according to an investigative report published by the New York Times on Saturday based on an analysis of Federal Election Commission filings.

Beginning last summer, the Trump campaign and the company that processed its online donations, WinRed, began to initiate the use of pre-checked recurring payment boxes while processing online offerings, Times analysis revealed.

According to the report, unless donors inspected the fine print of an online disclaimer and manually unchecked an opt-out box, the donor's credit card would be charged weekly until Election Day arrived.

Beginning last summer, the Trump campaign and the company that processed its online donations, WinRed, began to initiate the use of pre-checked recurring payment boxes while processing online offerings, Times analysis revealed.

According to the report, unless donors inspected the fine print of an online disclaimer and manually unchecked an opt-out box, the donor's credit card would be charged weekly until Election Day arrived.

PIn the lead-up to the election, the campaign "made that disclaimer increasingly opaque," the Times asserts, and eventually added a second pre-checked box that automatically doubled a donor's contribution.

Eventually, financial institutions became "inundated with fraud complaints" from Trump supporters who unknowingly agreed to these recurring charges.

According to the Times, several banks and one of the nation's larger credit-card companies confirmed that, at one point late in 2020, these cases accounted for up to 3% of all fraud complaints received.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-07-2021, 06:38 AM.

Frank

Comment

I'm sure they appreciate your approval.

It's their money.

You mean... somebody trustworthy who's running for office?

If their intention was a one time donation, then that was their wish for that particular sum of money. If they had not intended to make weekly recurring donations of the same amount, and this happened because of how the website was set up, then what happened to them could not be dismissed as "It's their money."

Are you actually defending the deceptive way this donation form was set up?

I do think there are trustworthy people running for office. You may not have noticed if you only vote for Republicans.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post
                            If their intention was a one time donation, then that was their wish for that particular sum of money. If they had not intended to make weekly recurring donations of the same amount, and this happened because of how the website was set up, then what happened to them could not be dismissed as "It's their money."
                            I'm a lot more careful how I use MY money --- and, typically, when people donate to a political campaign, it's because they want something in return.

Are you actually defending the deceptive way this donation form was set up?
                            Are you actually assuming I would defend trickery and deceit?

I do think there are trustworthy people running for office. You may not have noticed if you only vote for Republicans.

Lemme guess --- Chuck and Nancy!

Comment

So reading Shuny's article, the prechecked boxes in question were not hidden in the least. I agree they should not have been prechecked, but it wasn't like it was hidden in the fine print. This is what they looked like:

oakImage-1614036126902-jumbo.png?quality=90&auto=webp.png

and later:

oakImage-1614036185542-jumbo.png

Pretty hard to miss. Unless you are color blind like Cow Poke (The boxes are YELLOW, cp)
                              Last edited by Sparko; 04-07-2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

I'm a lot more careful how I use MY money --- and, typically, when people donate to a political campaign, it's because they want something in return.

Are you actually assuming I would defend trickery and deceit?

Lemme guess --- Chuck and Nancy!
                                I have donated to campaigns of people running in other states, only because I think they were excellent candidates who deserved to win. I had no skin in those games and did not ever consider making special requests.

I have yet to see you denounce that fund-raising tactic used by Trump and now being used by other GOP candidates.

In terms of honest candidates, Obama is at the top of the list. And my trust was vindicated in that he had a remarkably scandal-free administration.

Comment