Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Florida phosphate mine crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida phosphate mine crisis

Trump conservatives are largely for deregulation of mines despite the industry’s need for tougher regulations to avoid crises like Florida’s phosphate mines:

https://www.wftv.com/news/trending/c...BPC4HLS3KP22Q/

Strict regulation of mines is meant avoid instances like these, which in the long run are more expensive to remediate. Conservatives who championed the last administration for its bold regulatory stance will have lots of splainin’ to do as water pollution increases in the next decade thanks to idiotic regulatory roll backs.

Originally posted by whag View Post
    Trump conservatives are largely for deregulation of mines despite the industry’s need for tougher regulations to avoid crises like Florida’s phosphate mines:

Strict regulation of mines is meant avoid instances like these, which in the long run are more expensive to remediate. Conservatives who championed the last administration for its bold regulatory stance will have lots of splainin’ to do as water pollution increases in the next decade thanks to idiotic regulatory roll backs.
    A) I'm a Conservative, but not a Trump Conservative
    2) I'm for deregulation where it doesn't create problems
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

A) I'm a Conservative, but not a Trump Conservative
      2) I'm for deregulation where it doesn't create problems
      I was addressing those who rooted for Trump’s bold plan to deregulate dangerous operations. I know you’re sensible. =)

Comment

I was addressing those who rooted for Trump’s bold plan to deregulate dangerous operations. I know you’re sensible. =)
        Comeonman, don't start with the insults already!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As an aside, I like the kind of regulations where there are safety laws in effect, but you can earn exemptions.
          Case in point - Aieral Compressors was our compressor supplier when I was in the natural gas compression business.
          I toured their plant in Ohio, and first thing I noticed --- most of the employees didn't wear safety glasses or hard hats.
          When I asked about that, they explained that they had received a waiver from OSHA because of exemplary safety record over the decades.

They CAN wear hard hats and PPE when they want to, or when they feel they are in more dangerous areas of the plant, but they don't have to.

Comment

Regulation where a clear danger exists coupled with an industry track record of negligence - something almost synonymous with the mining industry- is a necessity. To campaign for deregulation of instances like that is simply immoral

Otoh, regulation that is petty and punative is the other end of that stick. And unfortunately it does seem there are few in politics that understand the difference or how to balance the two extremes.

The previous admin fits into the immoral deregulation category, shooting to appease corrupt businesses' desire for profit at the expense of public health - even such basic things as preserving our drinking water or breathable air.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I think Trump has left the building.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                Thankfully. That is relevant because ...?
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                  Trump will be very active in the next election cycle, no doubt endorsing idiots who discount the efficacy of regulating natural resource extraction. His policies to relax mining regulations are still in effect.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Thankfully. That is relevant because ...?
                    The OP

Comment

As an aside, I like the kind of regulations where there are safety laws in effect, but you can earn exemptions.
                      Case in point - Aieral Compressors was our compressor supplier when I was in the natural gas compression business.
                      I toured their plant in Ohio, and first thing I noticed --- most of the employees didn't wear safety glasses or hard hats.
                      When I asked about that, they explained that they had received a waiver from OSHA because of exemplary safety record over the decades.

They CAN wear hard hats and PPE when they want to, or when they feel they are in more dangerous areas of the plant, but they don't have to.
                      Yes, but how would you scale the exemption to somethhibg as huge as hazardous material storage? No room for laxity there.

In the case of a mine charged to protect surrounding population and environment, it’s hard to imagine a mine earning the right to ignore a toxic materials disposal problem, no matter how glowing their record.

Comment

Yes, but how would you scale the exemption to somethhibg as huge as hazardous material storage? No room for laxity there.
                        Meh - we had a drag line strip mining operation near us where they were very proactive with the containment and soil management - they would invite people in for tours because they were so proud of their operation - they would remove all topsoil and bank it in one location, all the overburden in another, then do the coal mining. When they were done with an area, they would replace the overburden, bring in the top soil, and plant a forest or build a golf course or a metropolitan park.

They kept an environmental engineer on staff who dealt directly with OSHA, and these guys pretty much reasoned "it's not because it's the law - it's because it's the right thing to do".

In the case of a mine charged to protect surrounding population and environment, it’s hard to imagine a mine earning the right to ignore a toxic materials disposal problem, no matter how glowing their record.
                        Mining, particularly when you're dealing with fluids or solvents or reagents, is a lot more challenging. Too many things can go wrong, so, yeah, there definitely needs to be some regulation. The problem is that the environmentalist whackos don't WANT mining, so they make the regulations so restrictive that they're more punitive than anything else.

Comment

It's not just Trump conservatives, the GOP is constantly trying to defund regulation.
                          P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
                            It's not just Trump conservatives, the GOP is constantly trying to defund regulation.
                            I think it's both - the liberals seem absolutely determined to shut down coal and oil, and they use punitive rules and regs to accomplish that - the conservatives see rules and regs as the slippery slope to the shutdown, so they fight back.

It's just like immigration or abortion or anything else on which they disagree -- there's no longer anybody in the middle. No moderate conservatives and no moderate liberals.

Comment

I think it's both - the liberals seem absolutely determined to shut down coal and oil, and they use punitive rules and regs to accomplish that - the conservatives see rules and regs as the slippery slope to the shutdown, so they fight back.

It's just like immigration or abortion or anything else on which they disagree -- there's no longer anybody in the middle. No moderate conservatives and no moderate liberals.
                              Personally, I think nuclear energy is the best solution but then you get into "not in my back yard" (Nimby) issue. But that's what eminent domain is for , despite its abuse.
                              P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment