Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gaetzgate and prostitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaetzgate and prostitution

The Gaetz affair reminds me of George Carlin who asked "Why is selling sex illegal if it's perfectly fine to give away for free?" (he used other words, obviously). It's a good morality question: If it can be regulated and bring in much-needed revenue, why not legalize it?

I feel sorry for people like Gaetz (if indeed that's all he did). We are animals who've been programmed to have as many offspring as possible.

He'd be smart if he just came out and said prostitution shouldn't be illegal instead of acting like Mr. Morality. Think of all the incels that would liberate. The self-righteous always shoot themselves in the foot.

As a libertarian I think prostitution should be legalized and regulated. As a Christian I would not employ the services of one.

The biggest argument against it is that it demeans women to sell their bodies. Two questions.

[1] Why is it alright for men and women to "sell their bodies" as professional athletes then? They usually suffer injuries that plague them all through the rest of their lives and it is not exactly an essential business -- it's done for entertainment.

B) If it is so demeaning then why isn't paying someone to clean your toilet not illegal?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think he looks like a caricature of a politician or a televangelist. Like a cartoon come to life. He has a ginormous head.

800.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        The Gaetz affair reminds me of George Carlin who asked "Why is selling sex illegal if it's perfectly fine to give away for free?" (he used other words, obviously). It's a good morality question: If it can be regulated and bring in much-needed revenue, why not legalize it?

I feel sorry for people like Gaetz (if indeed that's all he did). We are animals who've been programmed to have as many offspring as possible.

He'd be smart if he just came out and said prostitution shouldn't be illegal instead of acting like Mr. Morality. Think of all the incels that would liberate. The self-righteous always shoot themselves in the foot.
        The initial stories that came out about him reported that the investigations had to do with his traveling across state lines with a 17 year old girl. That amounts to sex trafficking of a minor.

Also there are some odd stories of his claim to have a close relationship with a 19 year old "son" who is not biologically related or adopted.

Then there is his connection to another Florida politician, Joel Greenfield, who has been charged with sex trafficking, abuse of office, etc.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/poli...y7e-story.html

Comment

He seems like a cartoonish caricature of a high school jock, like Biff Tannen if Back to the Future had been rated R.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            He seems like a cartoonish caricature of a high school jock, like Biff Tannen if Back to the Future had been rated R.
            It is also being reported that he has been showing other Congressmen nude pictures and videos of his "girlfriends" while on the House floor!
            Apparently he is engaged to be married...

And while he is under investigation by the DOJ, House Minority leader McCarthy refuses to take him off the Judiciary committee!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I think he looks like a caricature of a politician or a televangelist. Like a cartoon come to life. He has a ginormous head.
              I always thought he looked like a genetically inbred Kennedy...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Yeah I can see that too!

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

It is also being reported that he has been showing other Congressmen nude pictures and videos of his "girlfriends" while on the House floor!

And while he is under investigation by the DOJ, House Minority leader McCarthy refuses to take him off the Judiciary committee!!
                  The first part of what you mentioned is what I largely had in mind. That, and what was photographed in his trash can outside his office.

As an unabashed social conservative with a Baptist upbringing, it disappoints me that Mike Huckabee, of all people, is one of his closest allies.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

Showing nude pics and videos of prostitutes, even on the House floor (likely as trophies to other guys), is the least of his problems and the least of my concern for his behaviour as an elected official.

Being under investigation doesn't prohibit an individual from serving out a term of office, if it did, a lot more representatives would have been barred from serving on committees.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Showing nude pics and videos of prostitutes, even on the House floor (likely as trophies to other guys), is the least of his problems and the least of my concern for his behaviour as an elected official.

Being under investigation doesn't prohibit an individual from serving out a term of office, if it did, a lot more representatives would have been barred from serving on committees.
                      I agree with this; the process needs to run its place. It does seem telling that only two of his fellow members are defending him, one of whom is MTG, who is herself unpopular among her colleagues. At the very least, that suggests a lack of surprise. But, no, you can't remove somebody from office for mere suspicion. There may be a case for a temporary removal of committee assignments in certain cases. In Kansas, a powerful state Congressman got charged with DUI and eluding police this month, and has temporarily abdicated his Majority Leader duties while the case runs through. That seems proper. (Gaetz is not a particularly powerful Rep though.)
                      Last edited by KingsGambit; 04-02-2021, 04:29 PM.

Comment

I agree with this; the process needs to run its place. It does seem telling that only two of his fellow members are defending him, one of whom is MTG, who is herself unpopular among her colleagues. At the very least, that suggests a lack of surprise. But, no, you can't remove somebody from office for mere suspicion. There may be a case for a temporary removal of committee assignments in certain cases. In Kansas, a powerful state Congressman got charged with DUI and eluding police this month, and has temporarily abdicated his Majority Leader duties while the case runs through. That seems proper. (Gaetz is not a particularly powerful Rep though.)
                        Gone are the days of "assumed innocent until proven guilty". We're pretty much in Salem Witch Trial territory (historical accuracy not withstanding) where an accusation is sufficient for proving alleged guilt.
                        P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

800.jpg
                          Bobble-head in the making.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            ​​​​​​​After reading each of these I would look at the photo again. Each of y'all are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

This is not an issue of serving out his term of office.
                              He is currently on the Judiciary Committee, a committee with oversight over the DOJ.
                              The DOJ is investigating Gaetz, and Gaetz has oversight responsibilities over the DOJ.
                              Don't you see something wrong with this?

He should not be on the committee as long as the DOJ is investigating him.

Comment