Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

WaPo gives Biden 4 Pinnocchios for claims about Georgia voting law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WaPo gives Biden 4 Pinnocchios for claims about Georgia voting law

Biden earns ‘Four Pinocchios’ from Washington Post for false claim about Georgia voting law

Liberal paper awarded Biden the designation reserved for ‘whoppers’

The Washington Post Fact Checker knocked President Biden on Tuesday for falsely claiming a new Georgia law "ends voting hours early," giving him its harshest rating of Four Pinocchios for spreading the misinformation.

Biden repeatedly claimed last week a law signed by Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, R., would make it harder for working-class people to vote.

"What I’m worried about is how un-American this whole initiative is. It’s sick. It’s sick," Biden said. "Deciding that you’re going to end voting at five o'clock when working people are just getting off work."

Biden doubled down the following day in a written statement: "Among the outrageous parts of this new state law, it ends voting hours early so working people can’t cast their vote after their shift is over."

Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler wrote Biden's claim couldn't be substantiated.

"One could understand a flub in a news conference. But then this same claim popped up in an official presidential statement. Not a single expert we consulted who has studied the law understood why Biden made this claim, as this was the section of law that expanded early voting for many Georgians," Kessler wrote.

"On Election Day in Georgia, polling places are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., and if you are in line by 7 p.m., you are allowed to cast your ballot. Nothing in the new law changes those rules. However, the law did make some changes to early voting. But experts say the net effect was to expand the opportunities to vote for most Georgians, not limit them," Kessler continued, noting some experts feel Biden may have been briefed on an outdated version of the bill.

Kessler also wrote Biden may have gotten confused because the new law clarifies that early voting can be conducted "beginning at 9:00 AM and ending at 5:00 PM," as opposed to the previous framing that simply noted early voting "shall be conducted during normal business hours."

"But, as noted, the law also allows individual counties to set the hours anywhere between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. So the practical effect of the 5 p.m. reference in the law is minimal," Kessler wrote. "We sought an explanation from the White House for the reason for Biden’s remarks but did not receive an on-the-record response."

Kessler explained why Biden earned the dreaded four Pinocchios for his falsehood.

"Biden framed his complaint in terms of a slap at working people. The law would ‘end voting at five o’clock when working people are just getting off work’ or ‘ends voting hours early so working people can’t cast their vote after their shift is over,’" he wrote. "Many listeners might assume he was talking about voting on Election Day, not early voting. But Election Day hours were not changed … an additional mandatory day of early voting on Saturday was added and two days of early voting on Sunday were codified as an option for counties.

"Somehow Biden managed to turn that expansion into a restriction aimed at working people, calling it "among the outrageous parts" of the law. There’s no evidence that is the case," he wrote.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.IpySKSjvuAWrG_KQHlMOfwHaBq%26pid%3DApi&f=1.jpg

https://www.foxnews.com/media/biden-...ashington-post

original wapo article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...g-hours-early/

As one local pundit noted the law actually changed very little but the Democrat's reaction to it will like convince the Republicans that isn't the case.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      As one local pundit noted the law actually changed very little but the Democrat's reaction to it will like convince the Republicans that isn't the case.
      You just wait - our local "TRUMP IS A LIAR" alarmists will be by very shortly to condemn Biden.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

WaPo not providing shade for Biden? Their sales must be slumping.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
          They have to throw conservatives a bone once in a while to act like they are unbiased.

Comment

Another lie being spread is about them not allowing food and drink to be given to people in line, as if it is meant to make people leave rather than stay in line.

No, it's about volunteers passing out goodies to people in line in order to try to get votes. Electioneering. All polls have laws about no campaigning near polling places.

the law says:

"No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast."

Now if the polling place wants to have water and food set up for voters, then no problem (as long as there is nothing to suggest a specific party is supplying it) or even have food trucks available. But as long as I have been voting I have never seen food and water at a polling place.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Another lie being spread is about them not allowing food and drink to be given to people in line, as if it is meant to make people leave rather than stay in line.

No, it's about volunteers passing out goodies to people in line in order to try to get votes. Electioneering. All polls have laws about no campaigning near polling places.

the law says:

"No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method, nor shall any person distribute or display any campaign material, nor shall any person give, offer to give, or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector, nor shall any person solicit signatures for any petition, nor shall any person, other than election officials discharging their duties, establish or set up any tables or booths on any day in which ballots are being cast."

Now if the polling place wants to have water and food set up for voters, then no problem (as long as there is nothing to suggest a specific party is supplying it) or even have food trucks available. But as long as I have been voting I have never seen food and water at a polling place.
              Someone can leave the line to go to the bathroom and given that water fountains are usually placed next to bathrooms...

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
                Kind of silly Ronson. But it is evidence the WaPo does hold to an objective standard of reporting.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

They have to throw conservatives a bone once in a while to act like they are unbiased.

So evidence that the WaPo is in fact acting in an unbiased manner wrt fact checking is somehow 'really' evidence they are biased?

Is it possible that instead the bias you perceive is less actual bias and more just a the natural outcome of the facts themselves being in conflict with what you believe or hope to be true?
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-02-2021, 09:10 AM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    These new laws are over-reactions to a lie foisted on the American people by a corrupt president and his minions. They are, in fact, attempts to make it less likely a large turnout by black voters or city voters - which tend to be Democratic - can turn the elections again as the did in 2020. As such, they ARE in fact attempts to prevent the voice of ALL the people to be heard. And while it is very important to get the facts right about them and not to make claims that are untrue (if for no other reason than to keep from providing shade from the actual intent), there can be no doubt that is what these laws are all about.

The truth is that IF these laws are only about improving security and they have no biasing effect on the vote itself, then they are useless in terms of preventing what happened in 2020.Sinice that election was - in fact - an election declared the most secure election in history, an election with the most participation overall and the most participation by black voters, the only way to prevent a similar outcome going forward is to purposefully bias who can vote, especially in terms of limiting the black vote since it was in many cases that large black voter turnout that made the difference for Biden.
                    Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-02-2021, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      So evidence that the WaPo is in fact acting in an unbiased manner wrt fact checking is somehow 'really' evidence they are biased?

Is it possible that instead the bias you perceive is less actual bias and more just a the natural outcome of the facts themselves being in conflict with what you believe or hope to be true?
                      I think the point is let's see if this is more than just a token or will they call out any more of his major league whoppers. After all they even fact checked an obviously hyperbolic statement made by Trump that they had so many hamburgers at an event that if they were stacked they would reach the moon, so there is no excuse for not keeping old Joe's feet to the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

These new laws are over-reactions to a lie foisted on the American people by a corrupt president and his minions. They are, in fact, attempts to make it less likely a large turnout by black voters or city voters - which tend to be Democratic - can turn the elections again as the did in 2020. As such, they ARE in fact attempts to prevent the voice of ALL the people to be heard. And while it is very important to get the facts right about them and not to make claims that are untrue (if for no other reason than to keep from providing shade from the actual intent), there can be no doubt that is what these laws are all about.

The truth is that IF these laws are only about improving security and they have no biasing effect on the vote itself, then they are useless in terms of preventing what happened in 2020.Sinice that election was - in fact - an election declared the most secure election in history, an election with the most participation overall and the most participation by black voters, the only way to prevent a similar outcome going forward is to purposefully bias who can vote, especially in terms of limiting the black vote.
                        Meanwhile, back in the real world, these new laws are trying to fix problems that arose during the last election (a lot of new things were being done due to the pandemic) as well as things that have been problems well before Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

You just wait - our local "TRUMP IS A LIAR" alarmists will be by very shortly to condemn Biden.
                          The article gave a couple of very plausible reasons that it could have been a mistake rather than in intentional lie.

...some experts feel Biden may have been briefed on an outdated version of the bill.

Kessler also wrote Biden may have gotten confused because the new law clarifies that early voting can be conducted "beginning at 9:00 AM and ending at 5:00 PM," as opposed to the previous framing that simply noted early voting "shall be conducted during normal business hours."

Get back to me if Biden continues repeating false information long after it has been pointed out as false, like TFG.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

The article gave a couple of very plausible reasons that it could have been a mistake rather than in intentional lie.

...some experts feel Biden may have been briefed on an outdated version of the bill.

Ah, so they're still trying to carry his water!

Get back to me if Biden continues repeating false information long after it has been pointed out as false, like TFG.
                            I don't report to you. You are free, however, to read anything I post publicly.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
                              ...Biden may have gotten confused...
                              Nobody can argue with that. It seems to be a fairly regular occurrence with old Joe

Comment