Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump is still in the news his fairytale description of Capital insurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

I have a slightly.... Less rose tinted take on the whole thing.
    Tell us about your views concerning the Queen..... please?
    I've already mentioned that I support Queen Elizabeth rather than Monarchy.
    So please tell us where I was wrong about the Queen......
    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post
      Tell us about your views concerning the Queen..... please?
      I've already mentioned that I support Queen Elizabeth rather than Monarchy.
      So please tell us where I was wrong about the Queen......
      Thanks.
      I wouldn't go as far as to say you were wrong, I just don't share your opinion.

I'm a republican and I extend that to the queen herself, and I see absolutely no reason to differentiate between the queen and the royal family as a concept.

The whole idea of royal consent for example is deeply concerning, with it recently being revealed that she & prince Charles used these powers to vet ~1000 laws before they reached parliament. What this means is that she has the power (and has used it) to vet any proposals coming through the elected parliament to lobby for changes to any laws which may effect her estates, as well as alter a transparency law enabling her to hide her private wealth from the public. These are all changes to laws being made before they come before the house and purposefully hidden from public scrutiny.

The Paradise papers showed she had millions in offshore tax havens (but then so does many of the wealthiest in our country). She owns our seabed, meaning she's creaming off ~25% of the £9bn for offshore windfarm rights over the next 10 years.

You mentioned her telling off Churchill when he lied to her - she was very recently lied to by the current government when they unlawfully prorogued parliament.

The whole concept of the royal family and the rest of the aristocracy is merely a relic of Norman feudalism and is way past its sell by date. Other countries have either removed their monarchs or do not permit them the level of influence we do ours.

Not top of my list of things to be ashamed about with regards to our country at the moment, however.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

I wouldn't go as far as to say you were wrong, I just don't share your opinion.
        So you don't disagree with my respect for the Queen, but you kind of do..... is that about right?

I'm a republican and I extend that to the queen herself, and I see absolutely no reason to differentiate between the queen and the royal family as a concept.
        If you cannot acknowledge the Queen's record of showing unbelievable guts then you can't.
        I respect the Queen, not Monarchy. Already said that, yes?

The whole idea of royal consent for example is deeply concerning, with it recently being revealed that she & prince Charles used these powers to vet ~1000 laws before they reached parliament. What this means is that she has the power (and has used it) to vet any proposals coming through the elected parliament to lobby for changes to any laws which may effect her estates, as well as alter a transparency law enabling her to hide her private wealth from the public. These are all changes to laws being made before they come before the house and purposefully hidden from public scrutiny.
        Would you want a say in your private rights and wealth?

The Paradise papers showed she had millions in offshore tax havens (but then so does many of the wealthiest in our country). She owns our seabed, meaning she's creaming off ~25% of the £9bn for offshore windfarm rights over the next 10 years.
        You see? Many big fat Republicans also have wealth tax havens.
        Let us please assist in the flow of money towards the poorer folks, from any and all who have it in extreme excess. :)

You mentioned her telling off Churchill when he lied to her - she was very recently lied to by the current government when they unlawfully prorogued parliament.
        She did indeed! And she rebuked McMillan for resigning in the midst of political chaos, being carried to her on a litter! :) And Tony Blair knew what it was like to be frozen in her stare.
        Yeah...... I like her for what she has been, is, what she has done and still can do.
        I retired at 66........ she still works in her mid nineties.
        She knows what could happen if she retires........ Charles should never be King, imo.

The whole concept of the royal family and the rest of the aristocracy is merely a relic of Norman feudalism and is way past its sell by date. Other countries have either removed their monarchs or do not permit them the level of influence we do ours.
        I do not support the Monarchy, nor do support a system where are unreasonably fat and rich and others unreasonably thin and poor.
        We need to shake it up a bit, and that includes benefits cheats as well as tax fraudsters.

Not top of my list of things to be ashamed about with regards to our country at the moment, however.
        Nor mine!

Comment

We'll agree to disagree on queeny - as I say, she represents and in inextricably tied into the monarchy and I don't think her personality is of interest or value in that context. When she does die (a long time off I hope, I'm somewhat involved with operation London Bridge so it'll be a pain in the proverbial!) it'll be interesting to see what happens with Charles, I don't believe he is as popular with our toxic right wing print media.

Comment