Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gun Control - Yet Another Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

Eh, I'm not much of a gun guy, but my understanding is that "semi-automatic" just means you don't have to manually reload after each and every shot. You're right, sports and matches would not "need" such, but anyone interested in hunting or self-defense *would*.
    For Cash in Transit couriers or other high risk jobs I don't see why a licence could not be provided, but ordinary home owners don't really need more that a revolver. Where I live all handguns (except Black-Powder guns) are banned but in Northern Ireland a homeowner can apply for a pistol licence.... still.

Hunting? An old friend of my dad's (65 years back) had a double barreled rifle for hunting tigers and other big game. He once showed me how he would hold two spare rounds cupped between the fore, middle and ring fingers of his right hand, and if necessary (!!!) he could open the gun and the spent cases would auto eject ... and he could reload the rifle with those two bullets and close the rifle for two last shots. Those gentleman gunners must have had nerves like steel, I think. So for control of any dangerous creatures I feel sure that gamekeepers etc would be able to obtain special licences for auto loaders.

I'm old and fat and out of shape, and I'm pretty sure I could kick down the doors on most of the homes around here, were I motivated to do so.
    I'm old and fattening nicely now, but if I tried to kick any doors in here I'd bust a foot, or pull a tendon, or..... honestly.... doors around here are fairly strong. I replaced our tatty old back door about ten years ago and purchased a PVC door from the local DIY store for £195. These doors cost about £800 if fitted by an installation company. It was so heavy and my wife and I had to lift it on to it's triple hinges with a car trolley jack after bolting the frame in to brickwork. All our windows are double glazed with laminated glass; we can get out easily but if we ever locked ourselves out and lost the keys...... we'd be staying the night with friends!
    They can bend slightly and absorb shock...... they are just tough, but not as tough as the new compound doors.

ISTM that if such adamantium-reinforced mithril doors as yours were common here, there would be less controversy about "no-knock" warrants.
    I think they are expensive here, but they only get fitted once...... There are burglaries here, but since we don't tend to have air conditioning the villains might wait for a hot afternoon. Most burglaries here happen at about 3.30pm in the afternoon... school collection time, and if a window is left open...... !! Another trick is for villains to drive around an area sending signals to see if garage doors will self open... etc.

Most car theft now is all about cloning vehicle keys, or stealing them beforehand. My wife's atv can't start with just it's keys.... a hidden button has to be pushed. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

No. Using the CRC's definitions, it's about the total number of deaths. I personally wouldn't use the term "mass shootings" or "mass killings" as the word "mass" is being severely abused (cf Sorites paradox). I would consider something on the scale of the Las Vegas shootings as a "mass shooting" as a mass of people were fired upon. I personally wouldn't use the word "mass" for anything under 25 injuries.
      Fair enough...... I must look up Sorites paradox. Never too old to learn.... :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

I'm not worried about a home invasion because those types of things simply don't happen anywhere in my vicinity. Even home burglaries aren't very common, so I feel no need to own a gun. That doesn't mean I want to deny that right to other citizens - especially those who live in dangerous areas.

As far as assault rifles or semi-automatic firearms, as I mention elsewhere, people who are determined to get such weapons and rampage with them will do so. Banned or not. So with the exception of checking a person's criminal past, I'm pretty much against such legislation.
        Never say never. The home invasion I had years ago was in a rural area with essentially zero crime. Luckily I had guns and was able to defend myself and my family, otherwise we'd likely have died.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Never say never. The home invasion I had years ago was in a rural area with essentially zero crime. Luckily I had guns and was able to defend myself and my family, otherwise we'd likely have died.
          Yikes. Sorry to hear about that. For me, I suspect the odds are astronomical. I'm in the suburbs, surrounded by several thousand homes. And then there's the nearby city with even more dwellings. I recall hearing about one home-invasion robbery some 10 years ago in the city.

That, versus having a gun in my home, with kids and grandkids and their friends coming and going and I am not always here to supervise. That seems more likely a problem. Even if I lock a gun up tight, then it wouldn't do me much good if someone were to kick down my door or surprise me in the night.

When I lived alone and in a questionable neighborhood, I owned a .22. I don't believe it would be safe with my current circumstances.

Comment

• ya boy!

Arizona's Ducey signs bill protecting state gun laws from federal legislation

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ari...al-legislation
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Ronson View Post

Yikes. Sorry to hear about that. For me, I suspect the odds are astronomical. I'm in the suburbs, surrounded by several thousand homes. And then there's the nearby city with even more dwellings. I recall hearing about one home-invasion robbery some 10 years ago in the city.

That, versus having a gun in my home, with kids and grandkids and their friends coming and going and I am not always here to supervise. That seems more likely a problem. Even if I lock a gun up tight, then it wouldn't do me much good if someone were to kick down my door or surprise me in the night.

When I lived alone and in a questionable neighborhood, I owned a .22. I don't believe it would be safe with my current circumstances.
              Yep - this is why I've never owned an actual firearm. Kids just are hard to predict. I've had two air rifles though just for the fun of shooting. Pump action, not CO2, single shot. I suppose some kid determined enough could get one shot off, but not likely.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                ya boy!

Arizona's Ducey signs bill protecting state gun laws from federal legislation

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ari...al-legislation
                Texas is doing likewise.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment