Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Gun Control - Yet Another Round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Control - Yet Another Round

We've just had a tragic shooting in Colorado (plus Georgia a couple days ago). As sure as the sun rises in the east, there are new calls for gun reform and/or control.

I'm not here to debate the merits of both sides. I think everyone has their position and not many are going to change it.

My only question: will the end be any different or will it end-up being a loud debate and nothing changes?
    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
    We've just had a tragic shooting in Colorado (plus Georgia a couple days ago). As sure as the sun rises in the east, there are new calls for gun reform and/or control.

I'm not here to debate the merits of both sides. I think everyone has their position and not many are going to change it.

My only question: will the end be any different or will it end-up being a loud debate and nothing changes?
    It's possible given their latest turn at authoritarianism, the left may find a way to ram something through.

Comment

From what I understand congress already passed new gun control legislation with flying colors. The concern was getting it through the senate. Then all of a sudden they got lucky with a series of mass shootings that they could then use to apply pressure on the senate.

Comment

I think this is like immigration - it's much too valuable a football for either side to give up.

I will note, however, that it appears we have yet another case of a person who was notably mentally unstable having purchased or obtained a firearm, yes?
        So, rather than deal with the fact that we MUST do a better job at keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, there will be a move to keep guns out of the hands of ALL people.

I heard Biden today make that argument.

And I had JUST been notified by my ammo salesman that ammo was beginning to be restocked --- now there will be a NEW run on guns and ammo because of fear that the liberals are going to make them all illegal.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

TITLE: Gun Control - Yet Another Round

2494935.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

An old comic, but still fits. Unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I think this is like immigration - it's much too valuable a football for either side to give up.

I will note, however, that it appears we have yet another case of a person who was notably mentally unstable having purchased or obtained a firearm, yes?
              So, rather than deal with the fact that we MUST do a better job at keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill, there will be a move to keep guns out of the hands of ALL people.

I heard Biden today make that argument.

And I had JUST been notified by my ammo salesman that ammo was beginning to be restocked --- now there will be a NEW run on guns and ammo because of fear that the liberals are going to make them all illegal.
              The issue here is we have done so much to not stigmatize the mentally ill that we won't let that be used in gun control.
              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

Well, it's mediocre, which unfortunately still makes it better than most This Modern World comics.

Comment

The issue here is we have done so much to not stigmatize the mentally ill that we won't let that be used in gun control.
                  Well, yeah, that, and our public school system can't share records with police because it makes it look bad for the school district. That's been an issue with some of the shooters in the past, where after the fact we find out that multiple people knew they were potential problems.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post

How's that knife issue going on across the Pond?

Guns are the best option for home defence, especially against multiple attackers. As of 2018, most deaths involving guns are suicides, not homicide. Including suicides, guns and cars were responsible for deaths roughly equally. Taking suicide out of the context, cars had about 2.6 times more deaths than homicides.
                    Last edited by Diogenes; 03-23-2021, 07:30 PM.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Racial profiling would be the most efficient way to reduce firearm homicides.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Didn't Trump revoke the Obama regulation on background checks for those with mental health histories/issues? That surely has an impact on those with such issues purchasing weapons.

The NYT ran a short piece on the history of mass shootings [since 1999] in Colorado.

It makes for sobering reading. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/22/u...shootings.html
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        The things that you're liable
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life
                        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          Racial profiling would be the most efficient way to reduce firearm homicides.
                          Employing what rationale? Or was that comment made in jest?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            TITLE: Gun Control - Yet Another Round

2494935.gif
                            This thread is certain to be loaded with incendiary comments.

Comment

penguin.jpg
                              Apparently.

Like the 77 dead in Norway in 2011, or 51 dead in New Zealand in 2019, or the 35 dead in Tasmania in 1996, despite gun restrictions. And if guns don't work: 13 dead in 1995 Tokyo sarin attack, or 8 dead in NYC truck attack. Heck, Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people with a bomb.

So much for penguin lectures.

Comment