Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sidney Powell uses Tucker Carlson defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidney Powell uses Tucker Carlson defense

Lawyers for pro-Trump attorney Sidney Powell said that “no reasonable person” would believe that her false claims and conspiracy theories about the 2020 election were “truly statements of fact.” -- source

First, they're not wrong.

But I have to wonder whether the "reasonable person" test is a real thing, given how many unreasonable people there are.

Originally posted by Stoic View Post
    Lawyers for pro-Trump attorney Sidney Powell said that “no reasonable person” would believe that her false claims and conspiracy theories about the 2020 election were “truly statements of fact.” -- source

But I have to wonder whether the "reasonable person" test is a real thing, given how many unreasonable people there are.
    That sounds pretty much like the same defense offered by Rachel Maddow when she was sued by OAN. That nobody should ever take what she says as factual, proclaiming that her "on air comments should not be taken as facts."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      That sounds pretty much like the same defense offered by Rachel Maddow when she was sued by OAN. That nobody should ever take what she says as factual, proclaiming that her "on air comments should not be taken as facts."
      I was typing a response including that when, as I searched the Forums to find my post that had the Washington Times source I used before, I saw you posted this post.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

As often as this has come up, I'm guessing it's a standard -- and apparently successful -- defense for any defamation suit.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          As often as this has come up, I'm guessing it's a standard -- and apparently successful -- defense for any defamation suit.
          That, and how difficult it is for a celebrity to successfully sue for defamation here in the U.S.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Really? I got the impression that she was offering her take on facts reported elsewhere.

Comment

I did find it amusing to see what Powell and her attorneys think of people who actually took her seriously, though.

Comment

Really? I got the impression that she was offering her take on facts reported elsewhere.
                It appears that she made statements that she could not back up and when sued proclaimed that she is in effect "Fake News."

Comment

The "reasonable person" defense often comes up when it is being alleged that the prosecution OR defense is making case... um... "stretching" it a bit.

What made it rather infamous was when Comey took it upon himself to make that statement with regard to Hillary when it was none of his business to make such a conclusion - he was in charge of the investigation, not the prosecution. (and, yeah, I know you know that )
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Um, does this mean that at the very least they are admitting to frivolous lawsuits?

Comment

I did find it amusing to see what Powell and her attorneys think of people who actually took her seriously, though.
                      I suppose you could take it that way, but it's worth noting that lawyers will often say what is necessary to win the case and not necessarily what is true.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I thought that was the Rachel Maddow defense.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

I thought that was the Rachel Maddow defense.
                          You are the third person to suggest that, but I haven't seen it documented anywhere. Perhaps you could help.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                            Um, does this mean that at the very least they are admitting to frivolous lawsuits?
                            I don't know. I believe Powell said she was going to file such lawsuits, but I'm not sure she ever did.

Comment

You are the third person to suggest that, but I haven't seen it documented anywhere. Perhaps you could help.
                              https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...-rachel-maddow

Comment