Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Two White Teens Burn Mentally Ill Black Man Alive...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

He did it intentionally to make a point.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

What if you really didn't like chocolate,and went around telling everyone how much you loved it and how great it was?
      I would assume my dislike of chocolate would eventually influence my behavior to the point that I could be caught out as opposing chocolate in spite of what I've previously said, in which case I would be a hypocrite.

Comment

Originally posted by CivilDiscourse View Post

But that "context" creates a double standard. After all, a hate crime by blacks against a white man being seen and judged differently (and therefore held to a different standard) than a hate crime by whites against a black man is a double standard.

This isn't an isolated thing. They have "punching up vs punching down" to create standards about prejudicial attacks that differ. They have "racebending and whitewashing" to create standards about changing the race of a fictional character that differ. They also have "Racist" vs "severely prejudiced" to create different standards about what previously was simply called racist.
        All in accordance with a cultural context of majority and minority (power-wise, not numerically) and a historic pattern of discrimination. For example, it's not a double standard if I'm much less sympathetic to the financial difficulties of multimillionaires than I am to the impoverished. The difference between the societally/politically strong and weak is by no means arbitrary.

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post

I don't care about the color of the people involved, this is horrendous. And quite frankly, I'd say the media is being racist by omitting the racial descriptions. If the race or ethnicity of people involved in other cases is relevant enough to mention despite any evidence of racial motivations in those crimes, then the media should be fair and mention race in this crime. Otherwise, they're discriminating based on race. Which is...you know, racist.

I should also clarify that I'm pretty firmly convinced that racism or at the very least, the perception of racism as a systemic problem, will continue to be a big issue until we as a society quit mentioning race at all unless it's somehow relevant. Do it on ID documents, police reports, when reporting on (actual) race-motivated crimes, and when it's otherwise necessary to describe someone's physical appearance. Otherwise, it shouldn't be mentioned at all. Not on job applications, college applications, any of that. It should not be ok to just casually mention someone's race in a narrative unless it's somehow relevant, but in our society we do this ALL the time....as long as the context is politically acceptable.

This is something I've thought for a while about American society. Too many interactions seem to be viewed through the lens of race, which prolongs the problem of racism, because people are thus constantly thinking about it as a factor in their judgments of, and reactions to, other people.

...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

All in accordance with a cultural context of majority and minority (power-wise, not numerically) and a historic pattern of discrimination. For example, it's not a double standard if I'm much less sympathetic to the financial difficulties of multimillionaires than I am to the impoverished. The difference between the societally/politically strong and weak is by no means arbitrary.
            I think your example is an over-simplification that omits key elements that make it a problematic double standard. We're not just talking about one person who we know to be in a well-off, secure, position (the millionaire) compared to another person who we know to be in real difficulties (an impoverished person). In many cases, we're talking about whole groups of very disparate people lumped together because of their skin colour**, and treated differently on that basis alone. That's dictionary racism, whether it's exercised by the more powerful group against the weaker, or by the weaker against the ore powerful. The solution to racism is not more racism.

**Not all 'white' people are in positions of power, not all are connected in any way to historical racism, not all have privileged backgrounds. Just as not all black people are disadvantaged, poor, uneducated, etc etc. Treat individuals as individuals.

...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post

Treat individuals as individuals.
              One of the biggest ways "social justice" differs from real justice is that it generally does NOT treat individuals as individuals. Everyone is part of some "class," and accordingly is either the oppressor or the victim.

Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

It IS a double standard.

All you are doing is trying to justify why it should exist.

Comment

I would assume my dislike of chocolate would eventually influence my behavior to the point that I could be caught out as opposing chocolate in spite of what I've previously said, in which case I would be a hypocrite.
                  Like when liberals claim to support education for minorities yet block real school choice at every turn, when the minorities overwhelmingly want said choice. Got it...
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Like when liberals claim to support education for minorities yet block real school choice at every turn, when the minorities overwhelmingly want said choice. Got it...
                    It would really mess their crooked funding game with the Teachers Unions.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

In all this discussion, we're lost sight that a man was horribly murdered. I look forward to a day when a racial prism isn't put in front of every event and we can deal with events more honestly.

(P.S. I now see this puts me in agreement with MaxVel's post #34)
                      Last edited by Thoughtful Monk; 03-23-2021, 08:57 AM. Reason: Added credit to MaxVel
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post

I think your example is an over-simplification that omits key elements that make it a problematic double standard. We're not just talking about one person who we know to be in a well-off, secure, position (the millionaire) compared to another person who we know to be in real difficulties (an impoverished person). In many cases, we're talking about whole groups of very disparate people lumped together because of their skin colour**, and treated differently on that basis alone. That's dictionary racism, whether it's exercised by the more powerful group against the weaker, or by the weaker against the ore powerful. The solution to racism is not more racism.

**Not all 'white' people are in positions of power, not all are connected in any way to historical racism, not all have privileged backgrounds. Just as not all black people are disadvantaged, poor, uneducated, etc etc. Treat individuals as individuals.
                        Society lumps people together because of their skin color and treats them differently on that basis alone. There's a huge difference between creating division and observing/commenting on it. If bias and systemic oppression are ignored for the sake of colorblindness, they can't be fought against.

Comment

It IS a double standard.

All you are doing is trying to justify why it should exist.
                          It's a double standard to care less about the financial difficulties of multimillionaires compared to the impoverished?

Comment

Assuming that's an accurate assessment of the issue, sure.

Comment

It's a double standard to care less about the financial difficulties of multimillionaires compared to the impoverished?
                              Nice deflection. I gayou 3 clear situations that have double standards. Try addressing those instead of your strawman

Comment

Nice deflection. I gayou 3 clear situations that have double standards. Try addressing those instead of your strawman
                                They're all the same thing though. One group is the oppressor and one group is the oppressed. One group has real power and one group doesn't.No different than comparing multimillionaires and the impoverished. So, not a strawman.

Comment