Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Woke Liberal Christian School bans terms "mom" and "dad"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woke Liberal Christian School bans terms "mom" and "dad"

Woke $57k-a-year NYC school bans students from saying mom and dad, asking where classmates went on vacation and wishing ‘Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Holidays'
    • Grace Church School in NoHo, which costs $57k a year, has offered a 12-page guide for staff, students and parents on 'inclusive language'
    • 'Mom', 'Dad' or 'parents' are outlawed for 'grown-ups, folks, family or guardian'
    • It urges them not to wish anyone a 'Merry Christmas' or even a 'Happy Holidays'
    • And asks for an end to questions on where a person went on vacation
    • 'As part of our Episcopal identity, we recognize the dignity and worth common to humanity,' the school said of the guide
    • It comes as conservatives in NYC complain that the Big Apple's private schools have been infiltrated by a hard-left mentality
    By Frances Mulraney For Dailymail.com

Published: 17:20 EST, 10 March 2021 | Updated: 19:51 EST, 10 March 2021

A woke Manhattan school that charges parents $57,000 a year has issued a glossary of terms they claim will make the facility a more 'inclusive' place.

Grace Church School in NoHo has offered a 12-page guide to staff, students and parents that encourages them to stop using 'mom' and 'dad', to stop asking classmates where they may have gone on vacation. and urges them not to wish anyone a 'Merry Christmas' - or even a 'Happy Holidays'.

The Episcopal school also offers courses and after-school programs for its students that include single-gender groups, a Roots of Empathy program, and a course called 'Allying: Why? Who? and How?' which is offered to seniors.

The curriculum for that particular program, according to the City Journal, includes a photograph of a burning police car in a 'zine called 'Accomplices not Allies'.

The photograph is teamed with a declaration that 'the work of an accomplice in anti-colonial struggle is to attack colonial structures & ideas'.

students and parents which asks them to stop using words such as mom, dad, and parents

'Mom', 'Dad' or 'parents' are also outlawed for 'grown-ups, folks, family or guardian'

Asking someone 'what religion are you?' is outlawed in favor of 'Are any religious/faith traditions important to you?' (as pictured from the gudie above)

Grace Church school issued its 'inclusion glossary' for 2021 which it claims will 'remove harmful assumptions from the way we interact with each other'.

'While we recognize hateful language that promotes racism, misogyny, homophobia, and other forms of discrimination are already addressed in our school handbooks, we also recognize that we can do more than ban hateful language; we can use language to create welcoming and inclusive spaces,' it states.

The guide also warns readers to 'be aware that people may not always welcome questions, and they are not obligated to respond'.

Rev. Robert M. Pennoyer II, the assistant head of school, City Journal in a statement that the decision was made to introduce the glossary as Grace is an Episcopal school.

'As part of our Episcopal identity, we recognize the dignity and worth common to humanity,' he said.

He added that the guide comes 'from our desire to promote a sense of belonging for all of our students'.

Among the topics covered in the guide is the language surrounding gender, families, sexual orientation, race and ethnicity, religion, disability, and socioeconomics.

Under gender, it urges for 'boys and girls', 'guys', 'ladies and gentlemen' to be abandoned in favor of the likes of 'people', 'folks', 'friends', 'readers', or even 'mathematicians'.

It even encourages for those terms to be changed when reading books, using child, person, or character instead of 'the boy/girl on this page'.

And pet names are out of the question, with 'sweetheart' and 'honey' to be replaced only with the child's name or a description of what the child is wearing if that is not known.

'Mom', 'Dad' or 'parents' are also outlawed for 'grown-ups, folks, family or guardian'.

Nanny and babysitter must also be change to caregiver or guardian.

'Families are formed and structured in many ways,' the school states.

'At Grace Church School, we use inclusive language that reflects this diversity. It's important to refrain from making assumptions about who kids live with, who cares for them, whether they sleep in the same place every night, whether they see their parents, etc.'
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Vl_Lbz3kiryySc

---
    Original school document is here: https://pdfhost.io/v/MSUTbDaqD_GCS_I...uide_21pdf.pdf

It sounds like they're competing for "Most Uppity".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I predict that there will be a massive exodus from that school or someone is going to step in and there will be a lot of personnel changes.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I predict that there will be a massive exodus from that school or someone is going to step in and there will be a lot of personnel changes.
        Unless, of course, that's the clientele they serve.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Unless, of course, that's the clientele they serve.
          They coulda stayed in public skewl for that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            They coulda stayed in public skewl for that.
            But that wouldn't have been as "uppity".

Comment

Just shows what happens when Christians try to conform to the world rather than Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Just shows what happens when Christians try to conform to the world rather than Christ.
                Those loveable Episcopalians.

Comment

There has been a soft ban on terms like mom, dad, mother, father, husband, wife, and so on for many years. I know my own children's teachers almost always say "parents" instead of "mom and dad", and when referring to a spouse, they prefer the term "partner" over husband or wife. If a school were to choose to make it official, they are really doing little more than formally acknowledging a practice that is already firmly entrenched in our schools. It's all rather insidious.

Although in this case, I have a feeling it won't be long before the school in question is forced to close its doors after a student exodus.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    I concur. In the USA, we've had it good for a long time that the society generally expressed Christian values even they weren't really Christian themselves. This is changing. We are entering an age where the distinction between being Christian and society is going to become more distinct. I predict the school in the OP will drop Church from its name in the next couple of years.
                    "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      There has been a soft ban on terms like mom, dad, mother, father, husband, wife, and so on for many years. I know my own children's teachers almost always say "parents" instead of "mom and dad", and when referring to a spouse, they prefer the term "partner" over husband or wife. If a school were to choose to make it official, they are really doing little more than formally acknowledging a practice that is already firmly entrenched in our schools. It's all rather insidious.

Although in this case, I have a feeling it won't be long before the school in question is forced to close its doors after a student exodus.
                      This school has even banned "parents" - you can say "guardian" though.

But as CP already mentioned, if their "clientele" is as liberal as they are, this won't mean any sort of exodus.

The Episcopal church is probably one of the most liberal of denominations.
                      Last edited by Sparko; 03-11-2021, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                        I concur. In the USA, we've had it good for a long time that the society generally expressed Christian values even they weren't really Christian themselves. This is changing. We are entering an age where the distinction between being Christian and society is going to become more distinct. I predict the school in the OP will drop Church from its name in the next couple of years.
                        But why drop "Church" from their name? MANY Churches in the US operate with pretty much not "Christian" influence at all, being so 'inclusive' that they have become 'the world'.
                        I suspect many of them retain the "church" role because of the tax exemption, which puts the tax exemption in peril for those churches actually operating as churches.

(and, lemme be clear - if they were to strip our tax exemption, we'd still be 'the church')

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

But why drop "Church" from their name? MANY Churches in the US operate with pretty much not "Christian" influence at all, being so 'inclusive' that they have become 'the world'.
                          I suspect many of them retain the "church" role because of the tax exemption, which puts the tax exemption in peril for those churches actually operating as churches.

(and, lemme be clear - if they were to strip our tax exemption, we'd still be 'the church')
                          Because the OP is talking about a school and not a church. I think having church in your name (especially if you're not really a church) is going to be come a liability.
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Because the OP is talking about a school and not a church.
                            Yes, but it's a "church school". In many cases, such schools are started to address the concerns of a particular church.
                            But, who knows!

I think having church in your name (especially if you're not really a church) is going to be come a liability.
                            Well, as the world gets more and more "anti-church" and "anti-Christian", you're probably right.

Comment

Because the OP is talking about a school and not a church. I think having church in your name (especially if you're not really a church) is going to be come a liability.
                              Looking at their website, they used to be part of "Grace Church" until 2006 and are now an independent school. https://www.gcschool.org/about-gcs/history

Comment