Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Woke Liberal Christian School bans terms "mom" and "dad"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Looking at their website, they used to be part of "Grace Church" until 2006 and are now an independent school. https://www.gcschool.org/about-gcs/history
    Interesting, thanks.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

'At Grace Church School, we use inclusive language that reflects this diversity. It's important to refrain from making assumptions about who kids live with, who cares for them, whether they sleep in the same place every night, whether they see their parents, etc.'
      Emphasis for hilarity...
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Emphasis for hilarity...
        Burn the witches!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post

Emphasis for hilarity...
          A while back there was that woman judge in California (where else) who was explaining that gender specific terms would not be tolerated in her courtroom, but kept stumbling over her own gender specific terms.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

But why drop "Church" from their name? MANY Churches in the US operate with pretty much not "Christian" influence at all, being so 'inclusive' that they have become 'the world'.
            I suspect many of them retain the "church" role because of the tax exemption, which puts the tax exemption in peril for those churches actually operating as churches.

(and, lemme be clear - if they were to strip our tax exemption, we'd still be 'the church')
            It is becoming increasingly common for churches in the US to think it is loving to tolerate and even embrace sin. They seem to have forgotten that the whole point of welcoming sinners into the church is to bring them to repentance and not to make them comfortable with sinning.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              It is becoming increasingly common for churches in the US to think it is loving to tolerate and even embrace sin.
              Fact!

They seem to have forgotten that the whole point of welcoming sinners into the church is to bring them to repentance and not to make them comfortable with sinning.
              And the 'example' they like to use most is the woman caught in adultery, whom Jesus did not condemn. They conveniently leave off the part about "go and sin no more".

Comment

And the 'example' they like to use most is the woman caught in adultery, whom Jesus did not condemn. They conveniently leave off the part about "go and sin no more".
                Right, Jesus may have loved the sinner, but he didn't want them to continue sinning!
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Woke $57k-a-year NYC school bans students from saying mom and dad, asking where classmates went on vacation and wishing ‘Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Holidays'
                  • Grace Church School in NoHo, which costs $57k a year, has offered a 12-page guide for staff, students and parents on 'inclusive language'
                  • 'Mom', 'Dad' or 'parents' are outlawed for 'grown-ups, folks, family or guardian'
                  • It urges them not to wish anyone a 'Merry Christmas' or even a 'Happy Holidays'
                  • And asks for an end to questions on where a person went on vacation
                  • 'As part of our Episcopal identity, we recognize the dignity and worth common to humanity,' the school said of the guide
                  • It comes as conservatives in NYC complain that the Big Apple's private schools have been infiltrated by a hard-left mentality
                  By Frances Mulraney For Dailymail.com

Published: 17:20 EST, 10 March 2021 | Updated: 19:51 EST, 10 March 2021

A woke Manhattan school that charges parents $57,000 a year has issued a glossary of terms they claim will make the facility a more 'inclusive' place.

Grace Church School in NoHo has offered a 12-page guide to staff, students and parents that encourages them to stop using 'mom' and 'dad', to stop asking classmates where they may have gone on vacation. and urges them not to wish anyone a 'Merry Christmas' - or even a 'Happy Holidays'.

The Episcopal school also offers courses and after-school programs for its students that include single-gender groups, a Roots of Empathy program, and a course called 'Allying: Why? Who? and How?' which is offered to seniors.

The curriculum for that particular program, according to the City Journal, includes a photograph of a burning police car in a 'zine called 'Accomplices not Allies'.

The photograph is teamed with a declaration that 'the work of an accomplice in anti-colonial struggle is to attack colonial structures & ideas'.

students and parents which asks them to stop using words such as mom, dad, and parents

'Mom', 'Dad' or 'parents' are also outlawed for 'grown-ups, folks, family or guardian'

Asking someone 'what religion are you?' is outlawed in favor of 'Are any religious/faith traditions important to you?' (as pictured from the gudie above)

Grace Church school issued its 'inclusion glossary' for 2021 which it claims will 'remove harmful assumptions from the way we interact with each other'.

'While we recognize hateful language that promotes racism, misogyny, homophobia, and other forms of discrimination are already addressed in our school handbooks, we also recognize that we can do more than ban hateful language; we can use language to create welcoming and inclusive spaces,' it states.

The guide also warns readers to 'be aware that people may not always welcome questions, and they are not obligated to respond'.

Rev. Robert M. Pennoyer II, the assistant head of school, City Journal in a statement that the decision was made to introduce the glossary as Grace is an Episcopal school.

'As part of our Episcopal identity, we recognize the dignity and worth common to humanity,' he said.

He added that the guide comes 'from our desire to promote a sense of belonging for all of our students'.

Among the topics covered in the guide is the language surrounding gender, families, sexual orientation, race and ethnicity, religion, disability, and socioeconomics.

Under gender, it urges for 'boys and girls', 'guys', 'ladies and gentlemen' to be abandoned in favor of the likes of 'people', 'folks', 'friends', 'readers', or even 'mathematicians'.

It even encourages for those terms to be changed when reading books, using child, person, or character instead of 'the boy/girl on this page'.

And pet names are out of the question, with 'sweetheart' and 'honey' to be replaced only with the child's name or a description of what the child is wearing if that is not known.

'Mom', 'Dad' or 'parents' are also outlawed for 'grown-ups, folks, family or guardian'.

Nanny and babysitter must also be change to caregiver or guardian.

'Families are formed and structured in many ways,' the school states.

'At Grace Church School, we use inclusive language that reflects this diversity. It's important to refrain from making assumptions about who kids live with, who cares for them, whether they sleep in the same place every night, whether they see their parents, etc.'
                  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Vl_Lbz3kiryySc

---
                  Original school document is here: https://pdfhost.io/v/MSUTbDaqD_GCS_I...uide_21pdf.pdf

I am pretty left-wing, but this is beyond ridiculous. I would certainly not want to have my kids or grandkids at this school.

Coincidentally, my daughter is looking for a pre-school for her son, and is likely to send him to a pricey Episcopalian school, but the school they are looking at seems like a normal school that is well-regarded and has an emphasis on learning.

Comment

Originally posted by kccd View Post

I am pretty left-wing, but this is beyond ridiculous. I would certainly not want to have my kids or grandkids at this school.

Coincidentally, my daughter is looking for a pre-school for her son, and is likely to send him to a pricey Episcopalian school, but the school they are looking at seems like a normal school that is well-regarded and has an emphasis on learning.
                    This is the direction the left is headed -- you may soon be identified as "middle of the road" or "very moderate" left.

Comment

This is the direction the left is headed -- you may soon be identified as "middle of the road" or "very moderate" left.
                      Actually, in other developed countries, my views would be considered centrist.

The USA is currently an outlier. Our political arena has been progressively pushed further and further to the right, dragging the center in that direction.

Remember when Republicans like Ike warned against the military-industrial complex and Nixon set up the EPA? Times have changed.

Comment

Actually, in other developed countries, my views would be considered centrist.

The USA is currently an outlier. Our political arena has been progressively pushed further and further to the right, dragging the center in that direction.

Remember when Republicans like Ike warned against the military-industrial complex and Nixon set up the EPA? Times have changed.
                        point-and-laugh.gif

It was noted even a generation ago that Democrats like JFK would be regarded as right wingers

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          point-and-laugh.gif

It was noted even a generation ago that Democrats like JFK would be regarded as right wingers
                          What other major political party in developed countries denies climate change, refuses to consider universal healthcare, refuses to consider paid maternity leave, and is OK with teaching creationism in public school science classes?

Comment

What other major political party in developed countries denies climate change, refuses to consider universal healthcare, refuses to consider paid maternity leave, and is OK with teaching creationism in public school science classes?
                            Your claim was that

Our political arena has been progressively pushed further and further to the right, dragging the center in that direction.

But let's go back 50 years and tell me one major issue that we've moved to the right on.

Abortion? Hardly.

Gay marriage? Get real.

Drug legalization? Look around.

Acceptance of fornification/adultery? Not just accepted but expected.

Increase in government dependency? Yup.

Massive growth in government? You betchya.

Immigration? Effectively open borders.

About the only thing that hasn't shifted drastically to the left is gun control, which has stayed pretty much the same but get ready for a big fight over that later this year.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

[BOX]Woke $57k-a-year NYC school bans students from saying mom and dad, asking where classmates went on vacation and wishing ‘Merry Christmas' or 'Happy Holidays'
                              "Grace Church School in NoHo has offered a 12-page guide to staff, students and parents that encourages them to stop using 'mom' and 'dad', to stop asking classmates where they may have gone on vacation. and urges them not to wish anyone a 'Merry Christmas' - or even a 'Happy Holidays'.

That is not precisely the same as your thread title suggests. The school is not issuing a "ban" it is simply encouraging different terms to be used.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Your claim was that

Our political arena has been progressively pushed further and further to the right, dragging the center in that direction.

But let's go back 50 years and tell me one major issue that we've moved to the right on.

Abortion? Hardly.

Gay marriage? Get real.

Drug legalization? Look around.

Acceptance of fornification/adultery? Not just accepted but expected.

Increase in government dependency? Yup.

Massive growth in government? You betchya.

Immigration? Effectively open borders.

About the only thing that hasn't shifted drastically to the left is gun control, which has stayed pretty much the same but get ready for a big fight over that later this year.
                                Abortion rights have been significantly eroded by TRAP laws in Red States. How many states have only one provider left and have imposed waiting periods that make abortion out of reach for many?

Gay marriage - OK that has moved left. As gays have come out of the closet, many conservatives find they have friends and family members who are gay and these conservatives are more likely to see them as people.

Drug legalization. The right wing war on drugs has been an abject failure. Does it make sense to do more of the same, or recognize that some drugs are actually less dangerous than alcohol? But I take your point and this is a move to the left.

Acceptance of fornication/adultery? Trump was and is supported by conservatives including evangelicals!!! Fornication/adultery is clearly OK with the right. Roy Moore almost won in Alabama.

Govt dependency. Which states get more in federal aid than they pay in taxes? Red States.

Growth in govt? Check the numbers for Repub vs Dem administrations. You will be surprised.

No Dem advocates for open borders. That is a right wing lie. Ensuring fairness at our borders is an American tradition embodied by the Statue of Liberty. Should we take that down?

Comment